The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post subject: Higher Education Financing
PostPosted: Mon June 24, 2019 10:24 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Also, props to Bernie and the FSA for stealing the easiest path to greening the economy and screwing over responsible borrowers and people who worked through school vs partying. Great move.

Post subject: Re: Election 2020
PostPosted: Mon June 24, 2019 2:37 pm 
AnalLog

Bi_3 wrote:
Also, props to Bernie and the FSA for stealing the easiest path to greening the economy and screwing over responsible borrowers and people who worked through school vs partying. Great move.

Can you unpack that one for us?

PostPosted: Mon June 24, 2019 2:51 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Hatfield wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Can you unpack that one for us?

Bernie proposed the elimination of existing student debt via a transaction tax on Wall Street, punishing responsible borrowers and those who offset loan needs via employment and savings. The transaction tax, an idea I support, will be highly damaging to wall street and is not a lever we can keep pulling like income taxes (to replace failed policies like carbon taxes), so it must used only in a situation of the upmost need for all of society. It's wasted here and not as the funding for migrating energy sources and emissions reductions. The right move is to allow student loans to be discharged in bankruptcy like any other debt, not absolve people who didnt bothered to comprehend what "loan" means (i.e. the Free Shit Army).

PostPosted: Mon June 24, 2019 3:33 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Can we make Bi_3's eye twitch?

PostPosted: Mon June 24, 2019 5:07 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

bune wrote:

The next time you see a working class kid who decided against college because their family couldn't afford it or a service member who went on the GI bill and ended up serving in Iraq... just go ahead and spit on them. Same thing.

Affluenza with the government as daddy.

PostPosted: Mon June 24, 2019 6:23 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
bune wrote:

The next time you see a working class kid who decided against college because their family couldn't afford it or a service member who went on the GI bill and ended up serving in Iraq... just go ahead and spit on them. Same thing.

Hmm I do think we should spit on the troops so this really sounds like a win-win.

PostPosted: Mon June 24, 2019 8:00 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
bune wrote:

I'm not going to pretend I'm well versed on the subject of student loans, but what if they were converted to low or no interest loans instead of being eliminated altogether? Aren't you also still on the hook for them if you file for bankruptcy? Seems like horseshit if that's right.

Post subject: Re: Higher Education Financing
PostPosted: Mon June 24, 2019 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

I'm splitting this discussion off because it's a big and messy topic of its own, and I might have some larger thoughts about this later.

PostPosted: Mon June 24, 2019 8:22 pm 
The Master

Bi_3 wrote:
bune wrote:

You can’t honestly be this much of a myopic moron can you?

PostPosted: Mon June 24, 2019 8:26 pm 
Production Police

I fully appreciate Bi_3’s stance on this. Bernie’s plan is notably different from Warren’s, and far more damaging in the long run, I think. His affluenza comment is totally fair towards Bernie (but not Warren, I don’t believe).

PostPosted: Mon June 24, 2019 8:29 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon June 24, 2019 8:57 pm 
Future Drummer

BurtReynolds wrote:
Responsibility doesn't pay in clown world.

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate