The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Universal Basic Income of $1,000/Month
PostPosted: Wed August 08, 2018 7:56 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

If we had more EVs and less LVs in the workforce I think things would shake out alright... :bammer:

Quote:
CALLER #1: My question... [speaks in German]

INT: [translating] Eddie, what would you do if you weren't a musician? What would you do in life?

EV: Well, let's say I worked in a McDonald's, right? (laughter) No, but let's just say...I will tell you I'd be the best McDonald's worker they ever saw.

INT: Why is that?

EV: Well, because I'd take pride in my job. No matter what I did, I would just take pride in my job. I really feel...I don't know...I don't know if it's the same here as in our country but everyone feels like they can't rise above, and that they aren't going to make as much money as their parents and that there's nothing but negative things in their future. But I feel like I'm a living example that if you work as hard as you can and you have some drive and something that you're devoted to, that with hard work you can, you can achieve that...and so, you know if I was, uh, well...I wouldn't work at McDonald's because I can't support McDonald's. (laughs) I think I would be intelligent enough to know that they're doing a fine job at giving everyone diseases and making them overweight by using fancy colors to sell their product, which is meat. But, no matter what I worked at, I still would actually play music because I always loved music and it was very important to me and even if the songs would be heard by myself and my wife and maybe my little kid when he grew up, then I would do that. I mean, then my kid would know who his dad was because you could hear it in these songs so I still would've played music. But no matter what job I had, I would've done so well that I would've ended up the president of the company (laughs) and I hope everyone knows that they can do that.

PostPosted: Wed August 08, 2018 7:59 pm 
The Master

keep lickin that boot

PostPosted: Wed August 08, 2018 8:00 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed August 08, 2018 8:02 pm 
See you in another life, brother

I guess I just see work as a trade we make like anything else. I trade a large number of hours of my labor to my employer and agree to teach seniors in high school to the best of my ability in exchange for a consistent paycheck every other week. I then use that paycheck to enjoy what other people's labor has produced. Presumably they received a paycheck for their labor and are able to use it to buy things that fit their personal preferences.

Idk. Everything has a cost and there are lots and lots of things that I want to enjoy in this world that I have no ability or desire to make for myself, so I trade a large chunk of my waking hours to to do what my employer wants me to and then I'm able to enjoy many of those things. I see it as trade not as exploitation. Admittedly, it's certainly much easier for me to view it this way since I actually enjoy my job.

PostPosted: Wed August 08, 2018 8:03 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed August 08, 2018 8:05 pm 
The Master

I think there’s some generational stuff at play here, because the current economic landscape doesn’t exactly look very promising to a lot of people my age and younger. Retirement is not realistic, home ownership isn’t very realistic in a lot of areas, college is mind-bogglingly, criminally expensive, workers have less and less power, wages are all but stagnant, CEOs are richer than they’ve ever been, and on and on.

PostPosted: Wed August 08, 2018 8:20 pm 
Future Drummer

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Unfortunately I don’t have time to type out a full response right now because I have ten minutes left on my lunch break which I spend sitting in my car shoving food into my mouth before I have to go back inside an office and sit for 3-4 hours performing mind-numbing, tedious work that I don’t care about surrounded by people I don’t care about in order to afford a roof over my head and more food to shove in my mouth. I do this because it makes me feel so dignified and gives me so much purpose. Much better than spending time with people I love and focusing energy on things that matter to me.

This reads to me like you just don't like this job. FWIW we've all had unfulfilling work. I went back to school in order to get away from a soul-crushing cube job.

What matters to you?

PostPosted: Wed February 13, 2019 3:04 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Post subject: Re: (Universal Basic Income) Freedom Dividend of $1K/Month
PostPosted: Wed February 13, 2019 6:17 pm 
Gone

I'd love to live in a world where Trump has to debate someone as smart as Yang

PostPosted: Wed February 13, 2019 6:38 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

He's a serious candidate

He has my vote as of now

PostPosted: Wed February 13, 2019 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

Don't know how I missed this thread, although a good chunk of the discourse took place when I was at the PJ shows in the greater Northwest.

Anyway, I've come around to the conclusion that an EITC or negative income tax is the best way to take care of the "do people have enough to live?" question.

PostPosted: Wed February 13, 2019 8:59 pm 

PostPosted: Wed February 13, 2019 11:30 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Green Habit wrote:
Anyway, I've come around to the conclusion that an EITC or negative income tax is the best way to take care of the "do people have enough to live?" question.

:hooray:

PostPosted: Wed February 13, 2019 11:40 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

If corporations are going to replace jobs with automation, they should pay a tax that goes back to those made unemployed.

Ford just announced they’re leaving the UK for China, owing to brexit.

An aside, You just know that’ll be cheaper than automating the uk jobs.

But there’s a responsibility involved with governments and corporations to get out ahead of this rather than chasing after it. You know they probably are but just to cover themselves.

PostPosted: Thu February 14, 2019 6:45 am 
mXn

4 pages already? Didn’t anyone notice who started this thread?

PostPosted: Thu February 14, 2019 11:32 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Every dog has its day

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2019 6:02 am 

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2019 11:29 pm 

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2019 11:44 pm 
Site Admin

Who is Yang, and why should I care?

The only Yang I know of is this guy:

PostPosted: Sat March 09, 2019 12:07 am 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate