The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jordan Peterson
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:22 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Bi_3 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Mickey wrote:
You'd think Petey fans would be laying low after that horrifically embarrassing article today, but.

Link?

I think he's referring to a NYT hit peice. These silly attempts at character assassination hold no water.

Lemme guess "angry young white men"?

He got lots of hysterical accusations that a widely accepted term he used in the interview (hitpiece) doesn't really mean what it is means in evolutionary biology, but actually means that he thinks women should be forced at gunpoint to be married.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:54 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

BurtReynolds wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Mickey wrote:
You'd think Petey fans would be laying low after that horrifically embarrassing article today, but.

Link?

I think he's referring to a NYT hit peice. These silly attempts at character assassination hold no water.

Lemme guess "angry young white men"?

He got lots of hysterical accusations that a widely accepted term he used in the interview (hitpiece) doesn't really mean what it is means in evolutionary biology, but actually means that he thinks women should be forced at gunpoint to be married.

Read it, it's all over the place. There are much better things to go after Peterson for than what was in there.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:15 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Ohhhh shit

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:52 pm 
Future Drummer

that was unbearable to watch

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:11 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Stephen fry had a pretty good exchange with Dyson later, too.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:18 pm 

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:18 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Jesus christ that's embarrassing

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:23 pm 

Embarrassing?! That is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

Apparently there is a whole Kanye manga out somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:24 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Burt, you are one of the all time great masturbators.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:26 pm 

McParadigm wrote:
Burt, you are one of the all time great masturbators.

The only true love is the love of one's self.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:26 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the law, love under will

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:16 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

I love watching Burt masturbate

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:57 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tree_ wrote:
I love watching Burt masturbate

RM has finally achieved backspacer status.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:24 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Good interview. Maajid needs to get up on the mic, though.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:15 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Mickey wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Mickey wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Mickey wrote:
If you haven't read a good critique yet of Jordan Peterson it's because you're not reading.

POINT ME TO ONE

Let me Google that for you dot com

Well, when you see a good one, just let me know

Dawg if you want to figure out why JP is a ridiculous charlatan you can Google it. There was a good one in Viewpoints mag by Shuja Haider, there was another one recently in the Times Review of Books, I think the NYT profile of Peterson is a good takedown of his ideas (ask yourself, what would socially enforced monogamy actually mean?). But you've already read at least one of those and not come away with even a sliver of doubt, so I'm not going to bother dredging up links.

I will read these. I'm starting with the Haider one. This is the first paragraph:

Quote:
A specter is haunting North America — the specter of postmodernism. Or at least, that’s what Jordan Peterson would have you believe. Peterson, a professor of psychology at the University of Toronto, has entered into an unholy alliance with all the powers of the alt-right to exorcise this specter. Though he calls himself a “British classical liberal,” Peterson’s appeal feeds into the most reactionary tendencies in contemporary politics. He rose to fame when he was captured on video at a protest on the University of Toronto campus, telling transgender students he refused to use gender-neutral pronouns. He has since joined the ranks of Logan Paul and PewDiePie as a YouTube star. He mostly eschews writing, instead posting videos of lectures online for his primarily young, white, and male audience.

With whom, exactly, has Peterson entered an alliance? Talk about specters...
"Peterson's appeal"? He has no control over who follows him. Hopefully, the idiots in his audience listen to what he actually says and work on straightening out their lives. He has had no known encounter in which he refused to call a person by the pronoun of their choice. He argues that it is wrong to enforce this by law, and it's a good argument. Yep, YouTube has many stars, some are idiots. He's written plenty. There's nothing wrong with lectures on YouTube. They are much further reaching.

After reading this paragraph, it's clear this woman has no idea what she's talking about. Therefore, I'm not going to read further.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:22 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Seriously, tell me how I'm wrong and educate me. I'm not that smart and trying to learn stuff.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:44 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tree_ wrote:
Seriously, tell me how I'm wrong and educate me. I'm not that smart and trying to learn stuff.

Look at this from Petey’s website to see how fucking absurd “socially enforced monogamy” is:

Quote:
So, let’s summarize. Men get frustrated when they are not competitive in the sexual marketplace (note: the fact that they DO get frustrated does not mean that they SHOULD get frustrated. Pointing out the existence of something is not the same as justifying its existence). Frustrated men tend to become dangerous, particularly if they are young. The dangerousness of frustrated young men (even if that frustration stems from their own incompetence) has to be regulated socially. The manifold social conventions tilting most societies toward monogamy constitute such regulation.

That’s all.

No recommendation of police-state assignation of woman to man (or, for that matter, man to woman).

No arbitrary dealing out of damsels to incels.

Nothing scandalous (all innuendo and suggestive editing to the contrary)

Just the plain, bare, common-sense facts: socially-enforced monogamous conventions decrease male violence. In addition (and not trivially) they also help provide mothers with comparatively reliable male partners, and increase the probability that stable, father-intact homes will exist for children.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:04 pm 

What's funny is that the term has appeared in the NYT at least twice before, in progressive contexts.

The term isn't considered controversial from what I can tell, except by shit stirring clickbait journalists.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:09 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

tree_ wrote:
Mickey wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Mickey wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Mickey wrote:
If you haven't read a good critique yet of Jordan Peterson it's because you're not reading.

POINT ME TO ONE

Let me Google that for you dot com

Well, when you see a good one, just let me know

Dawg if you want to figure out why JP is a ridiculous charlatan you can Google it. There was a good one in Viewpoints mag by Shuja Haider, there was another one recently in the Times Review of Books, I think the NYT profile of Peterson is a good takedown of his ideas (ask yourself, what would socially enforced monogamy actually mean?). But you've already read at least one of those and not come away with even a sliver of doubt, so I'm not going to bother dredging up links.

I will read these. I'm starting with the Haider one. This is the first paragraph:

Quote:
A specter is haunting North America — the specter of postmodernism. Or at least, that’s what Jordan Peterson would have you believe. Peterson, a professor of psychology at the University of Toronto, has entered into an unholy alliance with all the powers of the alt-right to exorcise this specter. Though he calls himself a “British classical liberal,” Peterson’s appeal feeds into the most reactionary tendencies in contemporary politics. He rose to fame when he was captured on video at a protest on the University of Toronto campus, telling transgender students he refused to use gender-neutral pronouns. He has since joined the ranks of Logan Paul and PewDiePie as a YouTube star. He mostly eschews writing, instead posting videos of lectures online for his primarily young, white, and male audience.

With whom, exactly, has Peterson entered an alliance? Talk about specters...
"Peterson's appeal"? He has no control over who follows him. Hopefully, the idiots in his audience listen to what he actually says and work on straightening out their lives. He has had no known encounter in which he refused to call a person by the pronoun of their choice. He argues that it is wrong to enforce this by law, and it's a good argument. Yep, YouTube has many stars, some are idiots. He's written plenty. There's nothing wrong with lectures on YouTube. They are much further reaching.

After reading this paragraph, it's clear this woman has no idea what she's talking about. Therefore, I'm not going to read further.

Well for starters Shuja is a man's name...

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:13 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Sounds feminine to me

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate