The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jordan Peterson
PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 7:08 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

tree_ wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Dev wrote:
So Jordo took it to the next level today.

Not sure that I agree with this.

Go on...
Yeah, Dev. WTF?

Well, there was the Jim Jefferies thing. He was "wrong" but he admitted it. Still it was uncomfortable..

And then he decided to sue Wilfred Laurier University for comparing him to Hitler.

Something in his demeanor is off so I think he might be struggling a bit.

But yeah he's human...

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 9:43 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:

Jesus, I think Malice tried that one on me once. How does he not know how to respond to that one?

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 9:52 pm 
Rank This Poster

Please, tell us how free markets are the solution to all of society's ills, Bi_3.

That never gets old.

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 9:56 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

run2death wrote:
Please, tell us how free markets are the solution to all of society's ills, Bi_3.

That never gets old.

It's not about free markets, it's about the limits of government compelled behavior.

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 10:03 pm 
Rank This Poster

We, as a society, have determined that being gay and loving who you want is OK. Almost 70% of all Americans believe gay marriage is the right thing to do.

Government-compelled behavior is nothing new in this country, you can and can't do lots of things.

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 10:09 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

That doesn't seem uncomfortable to me. I like that he can generally change his mind about things. He has much more difficult and challenging conversations with people a lot smarter than Jim Jefferies, and who have changed his mind on things.

To dev's other point: I agree he should probably take a break for awhile. It's kinda devolving into talking points and sound bites lately. His positions have been stated and restated (and misconstrued and taken out of context) a million times already. Show me what else you got.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 10:12 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

run2death wrote:
We, as a society, have determined that being gay and loving who you want is OK. Almost 70% of all Americans believe gay marriage is the right thing to do.

Government-compelled behavior is nothing new in this country, you can and can't do lots of things.

I'm not really interested in what you are the government thinks is ok for me to do with my own life, and I don't care if there is a precedent for government compulsion or if 99% of the country thinks it's ok to curb my rights. There absolutely is a precedent, though, and it's mostly terrible.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 10:15 pm 
Rank This Poster

Are you drunk?

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 10:17 pm 

About to be.

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 10:18 pm 

As soon as I can figure out the difference between meaning and purpose.

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 10:18 pm 
Rank This Poster

Sorry, burt.

That was pretty insulting, I was honestly having problems reading your previous post.

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 10:19 pm 
Rank This Poster

Maybe I'm drunk.

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 10:19 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

BurtReynolds wrote:
As soon as I can figure out the difference between meaning and purpose.

3:00 I’ve been meaning to get drunk all day.

5:30 And now I’ve gone and done it on purpose.

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 10:33 pm 

run2death wrote:
Sorry, burt.

That was pretty insulting, I was honestly having problems reading your previous post.

Basically I don't think rights are determined by majority consent, so it's not really relevant to me what society has decided is ok and what isn't when it comes to individual rights.

On the other hand, I don't buy the libertarian argument that these racist businesses would be outcompeted by more open businesses. That wouldn't be true in the segregationist era. On the other, other hand, if blacks were free from (often government and mob enforced) tyranny and were able to start their own businesses and operate in the same public spaces without being terrorized, then there wouldn't be a problem, and on a broader scale the most inclusive businesses would dominate eventually.

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 10:43 pm 

But I think forced desegregation is merited in those extreme cases, especially with schools.

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 10:50 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
run2death wrote:
Sorry, burt.

Basically I don't think rights are determined by majority consent, so it's not really relevant to me what society has decided is ok and what isn't when it comes to individual rights.

So then how are rights determined? If society doesn't decide , then what does?

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 11:17 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

run2death wrote:

It’s ignorant to not make the cake, but we allow religion to influence commerce in many areas. What you should ask yourself is which harm / slippery slope trumps (how toxic is that word now?) the other: the hurt feelings of the discrimination victims or the government forcing someone to violate their widely held religious principles? I can see arguments on both sides. But the point is that the comparison with racial discrimination is not a completely fair one in that it presumes hate is the sole motivation.

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 11:23 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
run2death wrote:
Sorry, burt.

So then how are rights determined? If society doesn't decide , then what does?

Oh that's a big question...

I'm a big "negative rights" guy, and don't think anyone has a right to compel others to do anything, but I'm full of contradictions and compromises so I try not to be too idealistic about it.

Unfortunately...Image

PostPosted: Fri June 22, 2018 3:34 am 
Mind Your Tanners

So do we like or dislike Jordan Peterson - I've skimmed through all the posts and I'm not sure....

PostPosted: Fri June 22, 2018 9:34 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Rangi Guy wrote:
So do we like or dislike Jordan Peterson - I've skimmed through all the posts and I'm not sure....

The person: no
A subset of his ideas: split along the usual lines

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate