The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: RIP Margaret Thatcher
PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 12:23 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:41 pm
Posts: 18711
McParadigm wrote:
I for one shy away from passing judgment, because I think it is the hallmark of the very stupid.


'Passing judgment' is sometimes called just having an opinion.

_________________
RisingTides wrote:
There is more kindness on the internet than we would care to admit to ourselves. Sometimes we are so afraid of falling victim to a ruse, we miss out on actual opportunities.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Margaret Thatcher
PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 12:44 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:41 pm
Posts: 18711
dimejinky99 wrote:
She also privatised most government held industries, creating huge unemployment. Those jobs have never returned to those areas. But Poll tax and Northern Ireland are the two black marks on her memory.
http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/margaret-that ... ain-627184


Yep. She created huge employment and then put everyone on sick benefit to cover it up, paving the way for our current Conservative government to demonise benefit claimants as scroungers.

_________________
RisingTides wrote:
There is more kindness on the internet than we would care to admit to ourselves. Sometimes we are so afraid of falling victim to a ruse, we miss out on actual opportunities.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Margaret Thatcher
PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 3:04 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 6:49 pm
Posts: 2573
harmless wrote:
In as much as I'm 'anti-capitalist' (I'm not, in all its forms), nothing would change my mind on that.



So what do you do, when you run out of other peoples money?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Margaret Thatcher
PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 3:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 1:56 am
Posts: 13360
harmless wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
I for one shy away from passing judgment, because I think it is the hallmark of the very stupid.


'Passing judgment' is sometimes called just having an opinion.


I know there's no way you didn't catch the fact that I was making a joke.

_________________
Cell Phone Songs



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Margaret Thatcher
PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 3:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:41 pm
Posts: 18711
McParadigm wrote:
harmless wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
I for one shy away from passing judgment, because I think it is the hallmark of the very stupid.


'Passing judgment' is sometimes called just having an opinion.


I know there's no way you didn't catch the fact that I was making a joke.


I didn't at the time, it was late and I was kind of stressed, but I do now. Peace.

_________________
RisingTides wrote:
There is more kindness on the internet than we would care to admit to ourselves. Sometimes we are so afraid of falling victim to a ruse, we miss out on actual opportunities.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Margaret Thatcher
PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 3:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:41 pm
Posts: 18711
Electromatic wrote:
harmless wrote:
In as much as I'm 'anti-capitalist' (I'm not, in all its forms), nothing would change my mind on that.



So what do you do, when you run out of other peoples money?


I don't do anything, I just have a steadfast opinion.

_________________
RisingTides wrote:
There is more kindness on the internet than we would care to admit to ourselves. Sometimes we are so afraid of falling victim to a ruse, we miss out on actual opportunities.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Margaret Thatcher
PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 3:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 1:56 am
Posts: 13360
harmless wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
harmless wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
I for one shy away from passing judgment, because I think it is the hallmark of the very stupid.


'Passing judgment' is sometimes called just having an opinion.


I know there's no way you didn't catch the fact that I was making a joke.


I didn't at the time, it was late and I was kind of stressed, but I do now. Peace.


*passes judgment on you*

_________________
Cell Phone Songs



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Margaret Thatcher
PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 3:49 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 6:49 pm
Posts: 2573
harmless wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
harmless wrote:
In as much as I'm 'anti-capitalist' (I'm not, in all its forms), nothing would change my mind on that.



So what do you do, when you run out of other peoples money?


I don't do anything, I just have a steadfast opinion.


:thumbsup:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Margaret Thatcher
PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 10:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:57 am
Posts: 1051
http://nplusonemag.com/on-margaret-thatcher


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Margaret Thatcher
PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2013 1:17 am 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:41 am
Posts: 1219
This 'poll tax' business threw me for a loop. It seems that the term in American English has significantly diverged from its intial useage. In the US the poll tax was part of Jim Crow in which a tax was supposedly universally levied but in practice was only enforced as a prerequisite to vote for blacks and other disliked groups. I suppose thats why we invented the term 'flat tax' to denote a tax paid per adult as 'poll tax' has racial connotations.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Margaret Thatcher
PostPosted: Tue April 16, 2013 6:50 pm 
Offline
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 31, 2013 7:26 pm
Posts: 251
i went to an all you can eat in Nottingham on Saturday. Had Jelly and Ice Cream for pudding and was quite vocal about it :)

_________________
GET LONDON OUT OF THE UK. WE ARE NOT BRITISH, MIDDLE ENGLAND DOES NOT SPEAK FOR US.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Margaret Thatcher
PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2013 1:17 pm 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:41 am
Posts: 1219
Do we have any reason to expect that a leader of a different political party would've treated Northern Ireland differently? Was the Labour party more concillatory to the IRA?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Margaret Thatcher
PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2013 4:42 pm 
Offline
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 31, 2013 7:26 pm
Posts: 251
Gotta say I think the same. No wonder some of them in Northern Ireland feel screwed over by the British State, rather than any one political party.

_________________
GET LONDON OUT OF THE UK. WE ARE NOT BRITISH, MIDDLE ENGLAND DOES NOT SPEAK FOR US.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP Margaret Thatcher
PostPosted: Tue March 14, 2017 11:46 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 10896


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Fri January 19, 2018 5:20 am