The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Social Media: The God That Failed
PostPosted: Fri December 16, 2022 2:51 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
Why is he doing that, you think?

same reason a bear shits in the woods. because he can.

and you questioning a trolls motive is rich

PostPosted: Fri December 16, 2022 2:52 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Peeps wrote:

he is still using public data and guessing which plane is his. its not like elon has a cloaking device and his plane is invisible.

That’s what doxxing is.

PostPosted: Fri December 16, 2022 3:03 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bi_3 wrote:
Peeps wrote:

he is still using public data and guessing which plane is his. its not like elon has a cloaking device and his plane is invisible.

That’s what doxxing is.

maybe just me but i see two shades of doxxing. the kind that is meant to do harm to people who are doxxed and this type is more hey look what i can do

PostPosted: Fri December 16, 2022 3:55 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Also this

PostPosted: Fri December 16, 2022 4:53 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Who the fuck cares where Elon's plane is?

Anyone that can do something dangerous with that information can find that information by themselves?

Are the Saudis waiting with US-based anti-aircraft guns, but they can't act b/c no one has tweeted Elon's flight path yet?

PostPosted: Fri December 16, 2022 5:17 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I think doxxing is protected under free speech, though of course, it still makes you an asshole.

As far as the motives of this elonjet person goes, that only pertains to whether he's an asshole or just some autist that likes tracking planes, not whether they should be allowed to do it.

Transparency is another big issue. Elon promises clear cut rules on Twitter, but we haven't seen them yet, or whether he will stick to them. The old Twitter regime thrived on the ambiguity so they could ban according to whim (and political bent).

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri December 16, 2022 5:56 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
I think doxxing is protected under free speech, though of course, it still makes you an asshole.

As far as the motives of this elonjet person goes, that only pertains to whether he's an asshole or just some autist that likes tracking planes, not whether they should be allowed to do it.

Transparency is another big issue. Elon promises clear cut rules on Twitter, but we haven't seen them yet, or whether he will stick to them. The old Twitter regime thrived on the ambiguity so they could ban according to whim (and political bent).

is it really banning on the political bent or just that one side kept promoting thoroughly despicable ideas?

which is more likely to get banned:

promoting white nationalist or everyone should be treated fairly
women should hold the right to make choices with their bodies or spreadling debunked lies to say your election was stolen and the people need to hunt down supposed shady lawmakers

PostPosted: Fri December 16, 2022 6:01 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Peeps wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

is it really banning on the political bent or just that one side kept promoting thoroughly despicable ideas?

The former.

I don't care what ideas you think are despicable. I'll decide that for myself thanks.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri December 16, 2022 7:30 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
Who the fuck cares where Elon's plane is?

Anyone that can do something dangerous with that information can find that information by themselves?

Are the Saudis waiting with US-based anti-aircraft guns, but they can't act b/c no one has tweeted Elon's flight path yet?

I think the better question might be why the shitstorm over six c-grade journalists being suspended (not banned!) for violating the ToS? Is it so important to remind everyone that Musk is a hypocritical douche? Or is it maybe a recognition of something more?

PostPosted: Fri December 16, 2022 7:46 pm 

He jumped on a space with some journos last night and said journalists had no special distinction and wouldn't be treated any differently than anyone else. They couldn't process that at all lol.

PostPosted: Fri December 16, 2022 8:32 pm 
Production Police

tragabigzanda wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Twitter is like a massive group text. 99% noise, 1% signal. The difference is that signal is real time thoughts from some of the most prominent politicians, journalists, academics, and activists in the world, which means it has importance. How it's users interpret that signal is how to determine if it has value and if nothing else the last few weeks illustrate how many people with substantial wealth and power believed it to have real value in shaping the world. If they believed it, we probably should too.

This feels like a gross oversimplification. Not that this is any less anecdotal, but I think use cases fall under three general categories:

A) Provide an amplified platform for established leaders / global elite
B) Provide a far-reaching platform for disenfranchised / formally voiceless citizens with good ideas
C) Provide a far-reaching platform for disenfranchised / formally voiceless citizens with really dumb ideas

For each group, the outcomes are generally:

A) Broadens and consolidates their established power
B) Tends to preach to the choir
C) Anything from popularizes boneheaded pop-psycho babble to incites anger and violence

I just don't think this platform offers anything great to the world that wasn't already there, and on the whole, it undermines things like newsroom journalism, peer-reviewed research, and rigorous fact-checking. I hope it fails today.

PostPosted: Fri December 16, 2022 8:43 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
He jumped on a space with some journos last night and said journalists had no special distinction and wouldn't be treated any differently than anyone else. They couldn't process that at all lol.

i listened to that convo and i think youre making up some stuff. while he did say that it was in regards to breaking his twitter rules and not one person said a word about that

also when asked a series of questions he rage quit the chat and then suddenly the chat feature was disabled

PostPosted: Fri December 16, 2022 8:53 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tragabigzanda wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Twitter is like a massive group text. 99% noise, 1% signal. The difference is that signal is real time thoughts from some of the most prominent politicians, journalists, academics, and activists in the world, which means it has importance. How it's users interpret that signal is how to determine if it has value and if nothing else the last few weeks illustrate how many people with substantial wealth and power believed it to have real value in shaping the world. If they believed it, we probably should too.

This feels like a gross oversimplification. Not that this is any less anecdotal, but I think use cases fall under three general categories:

A) Provide an amplified platform for established leaders / global elite
B) Provide a far-reaching platform for disenfranchised / formally voiceless citizens with good ideas
C) Provide a far-reaching platform for disenfranchised / formally voiceless citizens with really dumb ideas

For each group, the outcomes are generally:

A) Broadens and consolidates their established power
B) Tends to preach to the choir
C) Anything from popularizes boneheaded pop-psycho babble to incites anger and violence

I just don't think this platform offers anything great to the world that wasn't already there, and on the whole, it undermines things like newsroom journalism, peer-reviewed research, and rigorous fact-checking. I hope it fails today.

All animals are equal but some are more equal than others

PostPosted: Fri December 16, 2022 9:16 pm 

Peeps wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

i listened to that convo and i think youre making up some stuff. while he did say that it was in regards to breaking his twitter rules and not one person said a word about that

also when asked a series of questions he rage quit the chat and then suddenly the chat feature was disabled

lol "rage quit"

PostPosted: Fri December 16, 2022 9:24 pm 

Weird that the FBI is monitoring and reporting jokes about elections. Do you guys think they should be doing that?

PostPosted: Sat December 17, 2022 12:45 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Desperate ^^

PostPosted: Sat December 17, 2022 12:55 am 
Major Dude

BurtReynolds wrote:
Peeps wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

lol "rage quit"

I had a girl that rage quit a couple months ago.

PostPosted: Sat December 17, 2022 4:22 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
Weird that the FBI is monitoring and reporting jokes about elections. Do you guys think they should be doing that?

Their old metrics were the number of would be white nationalist or Muslim terrorists arrested. It took a lot of time and money to entrap one borderline moron.

In a single day they can report dozens of 'disinformation' tweets taken down.

They must have specially hired a new cohort of Taylor Lorenz type agents that are more interested in banning people from Twitter than shooting dogs.

Sounds like the FBI has more funding than it needs if they attributed 80 agents to this.

PostPosted: Sat December 17, 2022 12:45 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

The podcasts must flow!

PostPosted: Sun December 18, 2022 6:08 pm 

The God That Failed

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 63  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate