The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Social Media: The God That Failed
PostPosted: Thu November 17, 2022 7:09 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
The further removed, the better. Outsource it to India.

It would be interesting to have a foreign version of CRT training. Social Justice training except its focused on historically disadvantaged castes and then try to shoe-horn various American demographics into their closest caste analogues.

Go on a deep dive on the Hinduphobia of Muslims and Sikhs in South Asia, etc.

PostPosted: Sun November 20, 2022 5:49 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Bi_3 wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Isn't Mastodon pretty decentralized? Sounds like deplatforming tactics are pretty hard to pull off there. It's basically what a lot of the right have been calling for for a while.

Maybe? I don't quite understand it but it's not like Tor where there is little local control. Users can block at the server level (only right thinking folks allowed in!) and it appears it uses OAuth for A&A, a good thing, but it also appears the accounts are local meaning the server you sign up on matters.

Shocking. Turns out Mastadon is just the 'fuge for lefty journos:

PostPosted: Sun November 20, 2022 5:57 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

they dont call it the fediverse for nothing.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon November 28, 2022 7:03 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

when does elon institute that everyone follow him and cannot unfollow akin to the tom was everyones friend on myspace?

PostPosted: Mon November 28, 2022 7:14 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Elon is claiming Apple has threatened to pull them from the App Store. Has an app this big ever been pulled before?

PostPosted: Mon November 28, 2022 7:24 pm 
Production Police

Bi_3 wrote:
Elon is claiming Apple has threatened to pull them from the App Store. Has an app this big ever been pulled before?

on what grounds?

PostPosted: Mon November 28, 2022 7:34 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

you guys did that festival thing with Spotify?

PostPosted: Mon November 28, 2022 7:40 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bi_3 wrote:

Not nearly as big, but they laid the groundwork with Parler.

How would they gussy up their real reason (Musk is not censoring in an arbitrary and capricious way of our liking)?

The only justification that would make any sense would be failure to remove CSM, which Twitter has allegedly not been very good at historically.

PostPosted: Mon November 28, 2022 7:54 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Apple will definitely pull twitter at some point. Free speech is just incompatible with their corporate values. Then its time for the Tesla phone!

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon November 28, 2022 8:39 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

exactly who's free speech is being blocked?

free speech does not equate to be given a forum to say it.

PostPosted: Mon November 28, 2022 8:51 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

on what grounds?

Apple’s contact moderation policy for social media apps is notoriously strict. I read an interview with twitter’s content moderation lead yonks ago, way before musk entered the picture, where they described regular meetings where specific tweets would be brought in. “This person is using the N-word. Is this allowed on your platform?“

The person being referenced above no longer works there, and their position no longer exists. I’m not 100% sure Apple even has a contact for evaluating content moderation questions at Twitter, which itself is a requirement for any social media app.

Apple’s content moderation policies are super problematic, but they are also clearly and publicly stated. Deleting your content moderation team and then saying “Apple won’t tell me why they might throw me off the App Store“ is like smoking six cigarettes during your apartment manager’s walkthrough and then saying they won’t tell you why your lease was voided. Look at your lease, numb nuts.

But Elon knows this, if he’s not a moron, which makes the “won’t tell us why” purely performative. Not unlike this schtick:

PostPosted: Mon November 28, 2022 9:20 pm 

Peeps wrote:
exactly who's free speech is being blocked?

Ask Chinese dissidents.

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon November 28, 2022 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon November 28, 2022 9:21 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

on what grounds?

Apple’s contact moderation policy for social media apps is notoriously strict. I read an interview with twitter’s content moderation lead yonks ago, way before musk entered the picture, where they described regular meetings where specific tweets would be brought in. “This person is using the N-word. Is this allowed on your platform?“

The person being referenced above no longer works there, and their position no longer exists. I’m not 100% sure Apple even has a contact for evaluating content moderation questions at Twitter, which itself is a requirement for any social media app.

Apple’s content moderation policies are super problematic, but they are also clearly and publicly stated. Deleting your content moderation team and then saying “Apple won’t tell me why they might throw me off the App Store“ is like smoking six cigarettes during your apartment manager’s walkthrough and then saying they won’t tell you why your lease was voided. Look at your lease, numb nuts.

But Elon knows this, if he’s not a moron, which makes the “won’t tell us why” purely performative. Not unlike this schtick:

Yeah, the whole thing doesn't make sense unless he's angry they are taking too big a chunk of that $8 and/or they are coming at him for the App X stuff.

PostPosted: Mon November 28, 2022 9:25 pm 

Their policies seem anything but clear, unless "we'll refuse your app if we feel like it" is clear.

PostPosted: Mon November 28, 2022 9:36 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
Their policies seem anything but clear, unless "we'll refuse your app if we feel like it" is clear.

In a perfect world these companies would pare their TOS down to what they can consistently enforce at not too much effort or expense. As there's no counterforce to make them at all consistent we get this.

PostPosted: Mon November 28, 2022 9:39 pm 
The Master

Maybe Apple’s not into anti-Semites.

PostPosted: Mon November 28, 2022 9:48 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

LOL, sure.

Elon is the new Trump for the Reddit reply-guy class.

PostPosted: Mon November 28, 2022 10:36 pm 
The Master

bigotry LOL

PostPosted: Mon November 28, 2022 11:05 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

spike wrote:
bigotry LOL

how sure are you?

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 12:36 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Yeah twitters about to be pulled from the App Store

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 63  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate