The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Social Media: The God That Failed
PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 12:49 am 
The Master

Bi_3 wrote:
spike wrote:
bigotry LOL

how sure are you?

Doesn’t matter what I think, pal.

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 12:53 am 
Looks Like a Cat

dimejinky99 wrote:
Yeah twitters about to be pulled from the App Store

That guy is great and is a must read for tech, but he’s working on funding for a competitor to Twitter, so maybe take this with a grain of salt.

I’m still guessing it’s App X threatening Apple’s post hardware revenue streams (Apple Pay and their not-so-secret advertising business)

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 1:39 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

simple schoolboy wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Elon is claiming Apple has threatened to pull them from the App Store. Has an app this big ever been pulled before?

Not nearly as big, but they laid the groundwork with Parler.

How would they gussy up their real reason (Musk is not censoring in an arbitrary and capricious way of our liking)?

The only justification that would make any sense would be failure to remove CSM, which Twitter has allegedly not been very good at historically.

I was unaware but apparently Fortnite was pulled for some time for not giving Apple the proper cut of in-app transactions. I assume this is exactly the issue here between Apple and Twitter 2.0 (App X) that Elon is trying to obfuscate with his ranting.

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 1:49 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

It's not obfuscation. It's two issues being fought: apple censorship, and apple fees. He's complained about both, and one doesn't hide the other.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 4:18 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

so apparently the tax isnt a tax

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 4:28 pm 
The Master

BurtReynolds wrote:
It's not obfuscation. It's two issues being fought: apple censorship, and apple fees. He's complained about both, and one doesn't hide the other.

Do you feel Elon is being clear that these are two separate issues?

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 4:51 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

spike wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

Does he need to be? But yeah, if he tweets attacking Apple for censorship, and also tweets about their fees, seems clear enough to me. What exactly is unclear?

What is the point of "obfuscating" here? Is there some worry about a backlash of people who love Apple taking 30% of every app's revenue? Why does he need to disguise this? i don't think most people care one way or the other, tbh. Most people don't see it as a 30% markup on their purchases. They should though.

What is even being obfuscated? I don't understand this theory.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 5:31 pm 

Speaking of wacky theories, I love this idea that Elon Musk is trying to get more advertisers by attacking them. Maybe this strategy doesn't make sense because the assumption makes no sense? Billionaires don't buy media outlets because of the massive advertising profits lol. Bezos didn't buy Wapo to get into the lucrative (dying) newspaper industry. These people have more money than God.

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 5:34 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

So I guess this means that if Apple did what the Google Play Store did last year and dropped their fee from 30% to 15%, he'd be fine with it. I'm in favor of that, as well.

I assume none of this public table pounding is related to Apple ceasing $50 million in advertising on Twitter.

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 6:56 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:
So I guess this means that if Apple did what the Google Play Store did last year and dropped their fee from 30% to 15%, he'd be fine with it. I'm in favor of that, as well.

I assume none of this public table pounding is related to Apple ceasing $50 million in advertising on Twitter.

Agree. The advertising spend is nothing compared to 30% of the now iconic $8 fee (and future in-app transactions).

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 7:27 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Agree. The advertising spend is nothing compared to 30% of the now iconic $8 fee (and future in-app transactions).

It'll only take 1.6 million Apple users paying $8 a month for a blue check, for the 30% fee to equate to $50 million in lost advertising. The same loss as 3.2 million Android users, with Google's 15% fee.

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 10:32 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

It'll only take 1.6 million Apple users paying $8 a month for a blue check, for the 30% fee to equate to $50 million in lost advertising. The same loss as 3.2 million Android users, with Google's 15% fee.

For most mobile software the money is in the post-sales transactions, buying pay-to-play things like Robux or Mine Coins (or whatever Fortnite sells) directly from in-app ads is how Twitter will become profitable (IIRC TikTok does this already in some parts of the world). The $8 is for the ego-boost as only about 0.1% of current users are TwitterBlue today, the real money is in what happens next.

PostPosted: Wed November 30, 2022 12:48 am 
The Master

BurtReynolds wrote:
spike wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

Does he need to be? But yeah, if he tweets attacking Apple for censorship, and also tweets about their fees, seems clear enough to me. What exactly is unclear?

What is the point of "obfuscating" here? Is there some worry about a backlash of people who love Apple taking 30% of every app's revenue? Why does he need to disguise this? i don't think most people care one way or the other, tbh. Most people don't see it as a 30% markup on their purchases. They should though.

What is even being obfuscated? I don't understand this theory.

lol okay Burt

PostPosted: Wed November 30, 2022 3:36 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Imagine being a Stan for a man who says he’s all for free speech yet he is the same guy who canceled a customers Tesla order because of a mean tweet

PostPosted: Wed November 30, 2022 1:51 pm 

How many Funko pops do you own?

PostPosted: Wed November 30, 2022 2:45 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
How many Funko pops do you own?

none. also a very weird question that has nothing to do with what i posted

PostPosted: Wed November 30, 2022 4:45 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Irelands the EUs digital watchdog. Things are not going elons way

PostPosted: Wed November 30, 2022 8:27 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Going after youtube:

PostPosted: Wed November 30, 2022 8:31 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

lol good luck

PostPosted: Wed November 30, 2022 8:34 pm 

Why did Twitter drop Vine? Sounds like a really dumb move considering tiktok.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 63  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate