Switch to full style
Engage in discussions about news, politics, etc.
Post a reply

Bombs In Austin

Tue March 20, 2018 2:15 pm

5th bomb went off overnight at a FedEx facility near San Antonio. The police are on the news telling the bomber to send them a message--dude, I've read Ted Kaczynski's wikipedia page, I know that's how they caught him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... 16e7413a51

Re: Bombs In Austin

Tue March 20, 2018 2:18 pm

I was just about to make this thread.

Tue March 20, 2018 11:58 pm

The kids in my after-school program are all pretty terrified/entranced by this story as it goes on. It's really fucked up experiencing it through their eyes.

Wed March 21, 2018 12:21 am

The good news is that this is apparently not terrorism.

Wed March 21, 2018 12:27 am

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed March 21, 2018 12:30 am

We all secretly are

Wed March 21, 2018 1:30 am

McParadigm wrote:The good news is that this is apparently not terrorism.

Phew.

Wed March 21, 2018 1:30 am

Austin is Progressive

Wed March 21, 2018 2:25 am

There was another bomb that went off in Austin today, but apparently it wasn't related: https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/20/us/austi ... index.html

Also, I didn't see until now that a second FedEx package was found related to the first, but that it didn't explode.

I feel like FedEx has to be the undoing of this. There's got to be a paper trail. We send FedEx at work every day, and last week we were worried that a package got sent to the wrong location (which would be a HIPPA violation). Within 3 hours, FedEx had checked the security cams at the pickup location and were able to confirm that the person who picked up the package was the intended recipient. Surely there's something out there to tie this to a single person, especially if they sent two packages.

Wed March 21, 2018 8:35 am

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed March 21, 2018 11:50 am

White dude. Shocker.

Wed March 21, 2018 12:59 pm

jwfocker wrote:White dude. Shocker.

so this isn't terrorism then, whew

Wed March 21, 2018 1:07 pm

We knew this because they were package bombs and the brown kind of terrorists have no compunction about blowing themselves up

Wed March 21, 2018 1:30 pm

theplatypus wrote:

We knew this because they were package bombs and the brown kind of terrorists have no compunction about blowing themselves up
but that's exactly what this guy did!

Wed March 21, 2018 1:35 pm

lol I wasn't uhhh up to speed

Wed March 21, 2018 2:06 pm

now the concern is if there have been any other wire traps or bombs mailed off or placed around the city. Im glad this guy is toast but I have a lot of wonderful friends in Austin that i still worry about.

Wed March 21, 2018 2:39 pm

theplatypus wrote:lol I wasn't uhhh up to speed

no that was just a bomb on a bus that if it went slower than 55mph

Wed March 21, 2018 2:56 pm

BurtReynolds wrote:welp. he dead.

Spoiler: show

Wed March 21, 2018 9:31 pm

Anti-abortion, anti-gay wingnut conservative. Shocking.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... y-marriage

Thu March 22, 2018 2:21 am

Simple Torture wrote:I feel like FedEx has to be the undoing of this. There's got to be a paper trail. We send FedEx at work every day, and last week we were worried that a package got sent to the wrong location (which would be a HIPPA violation). Within 3 hours, FedEx had checked the security cams at the pickup location and were able to confirm that the person who picked up the package was the intended recipient. Surely there's something out there to tie this to a single person, especially if they sent two packages.

Thanks for the congrats: https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/21/us/austi ... index.html

Authorities tracked him to a hotel in Round Rock, about 20 miles north of Austin, after reportedly identifying him using receipts, internet searches, witness sketches and, ultimately, surveillance video that revealed he'd delivered packages days earlier to an area FedEx store, officials said.
Post a reply