The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1982 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 100  Next
 Post subject: Re: Political Meme Thread
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:44 am 
Looks Like a Cat

BurtReynolds wrote:

*fewer

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:27 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

for bi_3

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:33 am 
Looks Like a Cat

BurtReynolds wrote:
for bi_3

Not a person alive who hasn’t tried that one

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:41 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:45 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

BurtReynolds wrote:

take it to the muffins thread in food & dining

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:44 pm 

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:05 am 

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:26 am 
Mind Your Tanners

BurtReynolds wrote:

Doesn't really hold up to any scrutiny.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:26 am 
Mind Your Tanners

I mean like not even in a funny way.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:47 am 

Mickey wrote:

There was some resistance to this in the group I stole it from, but the meme's truth won out in the end. The panopticon is basically slave morality with extra steps. Foucault is Nietzsche for non-chads.

"I am simply a Nietzschean.”

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:03 am 
Mind Your Tanners

BurtReynolds wrote:
Mickey wrote:

There was some resistance to this in the group I stole it from, but the meme's truth won out in the end. The panopticon is basically slave morality with extra steps. Foucault is Nietzsche for non-chads.

"I am simply a Nietzschean.”

Oh well if the meme group said so then we can just move right along.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:03 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Burt have you read Genealogy or D&P?

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:10 am 
Mind Your Tanners

I mean I don't really give a shit if some FB randos want to reduce the panopticon to Nietzsche 2: Electric Boogaloo. It would by no means be the worst thing that has happened on Facebook and I'm not particularly invested in defending Foucault as an original thinker (though I think he *is* one, and has been foundationally important for me in many ways). It just strikes me as kind of a lazy joke, one that's neither particularly funny nor particularly insightful, and primarily aimed at people who have *heard of* some of Foucault's major ideas. But you seem to be legitimately interested in the history of ideas (though I think you live in bananaland when it comes to chumps like Shapiro). Why not read the books? Foucault borrows, more than anything, his methodology from Nietzsche, but his conception of power is quite different and, I think, much more relevant to our present day.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:13 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Also, for what it's worth, I legitimately enjoy reading Foucault. The lectures at the College de France are especially lucid, and though they're a bit more of a deep dive they'll still get you to some of his central ideas (especially his late career stuff). I can't say the same for Nietzsche--he's got some good one-liners and it's clearer than a whole mess of 19th century writing but it's incredibly repetitive.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:14 am 

Mickey wrote:
Burt have you read Genealogy or D&P?

I've read Genealogy several times. I don't think I've finished D&P but it is interesting and I plan on going back to it. It's just a joke bro.

Foucault seems a bit samey though (I have a meme for that too), but I'm no expert.

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Sat May 11, 2019 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:17 am 

Mickey wrote:
Also, for what it's worth, I legitimately enjoy reading Foucault. The lectures at the College de France are especially lucid, and though they're a bit more of a deep dive they'll still get you to some of his central ideas (especially his late career stuff). I can't say the same for Nietzsche--he's got some good one-liners and it's clearer than a whole mess of 19th century writing but it's incredibly repetitive.

Have you read Nietzsche's earlier stuff? I've been going back over Birth of Tragedy and there is a lot of good stuff there.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:19 am 
Mind Your Tanners

BurtReynolds wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Have you read Nietzsche's earlier stuff? I've been going back over Birth of Tragedy and there is a lot of good stuff there.

It's fine for what it is (edit: it here = BoT) but I don't think it holds up very well/I don't have much use for it. I have enjoyed ranking political candidates as Dionysiac vs Apolline

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:14 am 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:43 am 

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:54 am 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1982 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 100  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate