The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: UFOs and Extraterrestrial Life
PostPosted: Fri December 04, 2020 12:23 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

spike wrote:
maybe the wind took someone's face mask

:haha:

PostPosted: Fri December 04, 2020 12:25 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

It actually looks like Ruddo's chicken.

uh oh

PostPosted: Fri December 04, 2020 12:30 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

why couldnt snowden leak some interesting shit like this

if we can send a robot rover to mars, some civilization a few hundred years ahead of us can send triangle shaped drones here

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Fri December 04, 2020 12:31 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i wonder if aliens put cheese slices on fish sandwiches

PostPosted: Fri December 04, 2020 12:35 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

elon musk probably knows

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Fri December 04, 2020 8:11 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

I think given how expansive we know the universe to be it would be foolish to think we were alone

PostPosted: Fri December 04, 2020 3:26 pm 
Future Drummer

The Great Filter is a fascinating theory on why we haven't met intelligent life yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Filter

Quote:
The concept originates in Robin Hanson's argument that the failure to find any extraterrestrial civilizations in the observable universe implies the possibility something is wrong with one or more of the arguments from various scientific disciplines that the appearance of advanced intelligent life is probable; this observation is conceptualized in terms of a "Great Filter" which acts to reduce the great number of sites where intelligent life might arise to the tiny number of intelligent species with advanced civilizations actually observed (currently just one: human).[3] This probability threshold, which could lie behind us (in our past) or in front of us (in our future), might work as a barrier to the evolution of intelligent life, or as a high probability of self-destruction.[1][4] The main counter-intuitive conclusion of this observation is that the easier it was for life to evolve to our stage, the bleaker our future chances probably are.

PostPosted: Fri December 04, 2020 4:38 pm 
The Master

Orpheus wrote:
The Great Filter is a fascinating theory on why we haven't met intelligent life yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Filter

Quote:
The concept originates in Robin Hanson's argument that the failure to find any extraterrestrial civilizations in the observable universe implies the possibility something is wrong with one or more of the arguments from various scientific disciplines that the appearance of advanced intelligent life is probable; this observation is conceptualized in terms of a "Great Filter" which acts to reduce the great number of sites where intelligent life might arise to the tiny number of intelligent species with advanced civilizations actually observed (currently just one: human).[3] This probability threshold, which could lie behind us (in our past) or in front of us (in our future), might work as a barrier to the evolution of intelligent life, or as a high probability of self-destruction.[1][4] The main counter-intuitive conclusion of this observation is that the easier it was for life to evolve to our stage, the bleaker our future chances probably are.

what a bummer

PostPosted: Fri December 04, 2020 4:54 pm 
Future Drummer

It kind of is. We may have made it past the filter (nuclear weapons or the equivalent destroying us) but we may be also butting up against a couple future ones (disease and global warming).

PostPosted: Fri December 04, 2020 5:17 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I'd never heard of it.

Thanks, Orpheus.

PostPosted: Fri December 04, 2020 5:41 pm 
Future Drummer

elliseamos wrote:
I'd never heard of it.

Thanks, Orpheus.

:peace: :peace: :peace:

PostPosted: Fri December 04, 2020 5:45 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

It probably fits into Great Filter theory, but there's a theory that we don't encounter intelligent life because it eventually creates a real life "Matrix" for itself and disappears into virtual worlds rather than trying to explore space.

life probably burns itself out or disappears up its own ass.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Fri December 04, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri December 04, 2020 5:50 pm 
Future Drummer

BurtReynolds wrote:
It probably fits into Great Filter theory, but there's a theory that we don't encounter intelligent life because it eventually creates a real life "Matrix" for itself and disappears into virtual worlds rather than trying to explore space.

But life probably burns itself out or disappears up its own ass.

Absolutely fits into the theory. "We have VR and y'all just kinda suck ass"

PostPosted: Sat December 05, 2020 1:01 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Orpheus wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

I mean when I think about this theory now I think of how truly close we may already be to completely killing ourselves off (having already dodged it just a couple times to this point)

PostPosted: Sat December 05, 2020 1:11 am 
Gone

elliseamos wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

I mean when I think about this theory now I think of how truly close we may already be to completely killing ourselves off (having already dodged it just a couple times to this point)

It's funny how people buy into stuff like this while also being totally convinced they can stop cold a highly transmissible worldwide virus with a spit covered piece of cloth on their face.

PostPosted: Sat December 05, 2020 2:10 am 
Future Drummer

There’s also the “Dark Forest” theory from The Dark Forest by Cixin Liu

https://bigthink.com/scotty-hendricks/t ... aliens-yet

PostPosted: Sat December 05, 2020 2:16 am 
Future Drummer

verb_to_trust wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

It's funny how people buy into stuff like this while also being totally convinced they can stop cold a highly transmissible worldwide virus with a spit covered piece of cloth on their face.

If masks weren’t effective wouldn’t we have more doctors and nurses being taken out of commission?

A CDC report shows that a study of 13 sites over a three month period showed that out of all the COVID hospitalizations at these sites, 6% were health care professionals. That seems pretty low.

PostPosted: Sat December 05, 2020 2:24 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Peeps wrote:
I think given how expansive we know the universe to be it would be foolish to think we were alone

it's true

i am hiding in your bathroom right now

PostPosted: Sat December 05, 2020 2:32 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

elliseamos wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

yeah but 100% population extinction is hard to achieve

we all know about our #FirstWorldProblems and fret that things like air pollution or plastic in the ocean or nuclear weapons would end the species

it won't

many will live on

we are just a vain species and think we are so powerful we could destroy ourselves

only asteroids can do that

i think it's more likely we haven't been messed with too much because there are lots of places to explore and we are one of them with animals on it but not really that interesting given the universe has 1 billion trillion stars to explore and our galaxy has 100 thousand million stars

that's a lot to choose from

so the best we are gonna get is a triangle shape drone to look at our rocks

basically the equivalent of this billion dollar piece of shit:

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Sat December 05, 2020 2:48 am 
Gone

blueviper wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

If masks weren’t effective wouldn’t we have more doctors and nurses being taken out of commission?

A CDC report shows that a study of 13 sites over a three month period showed that out of all the COVID hospitalizations at these sites, 6% were health care professionals. That seems pretty low.

They wear n95, not cotton

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate