The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Local/State Politics: Engage Now Or Die!
PostPosted: Fri November 03, 2017 11:03 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Peeps wrote:
i have given the option to moving in the future but only when my step father is no longer around as that is really the only thing that ties me to the area

Strat can give you good real estate advice in CO. That’s the pace to be right now.

PostPosted: Wed February 21, 2018 6:48 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

https://amgreatness.com/2018/02/19/understanding-california-mind/

Anyone else live in the central valley that can comment regarding how representative this guy's experience is?

If there's anything to this, then seasonal workers on permits would be much preferable, because at least then the employers have to provide (presumably to code) housing.

PostPosted: Fri February 23, 2018 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

Paging Monkey_Driven and other Missourians:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/22/politics ... index.html

Quote:
The defendant. in violation of Section 565.252. RSMo, committed the class D felony of invasion of privacy in the first degree, punishable upon conviction under Sections 558.011 and 560.011, RSMo, in that on or about March 21, 2015, in the City of St. Louis, State of Missouri, the defendant knowingly photographed K.S in a state of full or partial nudity without the knowledge and consent of K.S. and in a place where a person would have a reasonable expectation of privacy, and the defendant subsequently transmitted the image contained in the
photograph in a manner that allowed access to that image via a computer.
I have to admit, though, that if this is all he's been charged with and unless other facts emerge, Greitens might have a First Amendment defense here. It still doesn't obviate how horrible this is, though.

PostPosted: Fri February 23, 2018 5:09 pm 
The Master

Green Habit wrote:

Quote:
The defendant. in violation of Section 565.252. RSMo, committed the class D felony of invasion of privacy in the first degree, punishable upon conviction under Sections 558.011 and 560.011, RSMo, in that on or about March 21, 2015, in the City of St. Louis, State of Missouri, the defendant knowingly photographed K.S in a state of full or partial nudity without the knowledge and consent of K.S. and in a place where a person would have a reasonable expectation of privacy, and the defendant subsequently transmitted the image contained in the
I have to admit, though, that if this is all he's been charged with and unless other facts emerge, Greitens might have a First Amendment defense here. It still doesn't obviate how horrible this is, though.

The guy is such a joke even beyond this. He's basically trying to bankrupt the state all in an effort to "cut taxes" for working Missourians.

This indictment is partially, if not mostly, a publicity stunt unless there is more evidence here than what was initially reported.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:18 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

my hometown made national news due to a woman being murdered in a hail of bullets in her mother front yard on mothers day

https://beavercountian.com/

this is a local blogger who has uncovered a ton of corruption and put it out there when it was only ever whispered to each other when no one was looking

the amount of articles and accusations leveled at our counties reps (treasure, DA, sherriff, councilmen, local police officers, police departments being investigated by the state police and FBI and so forth is staggering

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:25 pm 
The Master

Peeps wrote:
the amount of articles and accusations leveled at our counties reps (treasure, DA, sherriff, councilmen, local police officers, police departments being investigated by the state police and FBI and so forth is staggering

It's not quite that bad here, but we've been shocked as we've become involved with local politics and the quality of candidate and reps who've been allowed to coast in place for so long. The local precinct rep has a voting record that is atrociously myopic and bigoted, voting down practical measures like anti-bullying, suicide prevention (a BIG problem in this rural area), and against a woman's right to choose even in cases of rape or incest.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:48 am 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

Of course I see the historical significance of Georgia democrats nominating a black woman for governor. She's also an Atlanta liberal; I'm going out on a limb and predict she won't have a chance in the general election.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:19 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I have no idea what is happening around here. I keep saying I'm moving, but I'm still here.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:49 pm 
The Master

My wife organized and hosted a "Women For Williams" event for House candidate Kathleen Williams the other night, and it was a huge success. Glenn Close even showed up!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:26 pm 
The Master

Green Habit wrote:

Quote:

He gone.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:17 pm 
Site Admin

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

Quote:
He gone.
Since this post of mine is getting requoted, I better make something clear. I'm reading here that there was intent to blackmail with the activity in question above. If that's the case, then that easily qualifies the "unless other facts emerge" part I wrote.

PostPosted: Wed July 25, 2018 3:14 am 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

There was a run off for the Republican nominee for governor in Georgia. The favorite this time last year was the Lt. Governor, a typical asshat conservative common in state houses in red states. But then the Secretary of State was able to force a run off with him by being a bigger asshat, good ole'boy type who ran commercials surrounded by guns and proudly claiming to be a business man outsider despite being a 17 year elected official Both played up to being the new Trump kind of conservative with the bigger asshat getting his endorsement last week. The bigger asshat won the runoff easily.
Georgia Democrats nominated a black woman from Atlanta who's been one of the most liberal member of the State House for years. She's also been out spoken about removing Confederate monuments in the state, including the carving on Stone Mountain. She may run closer than expected but honestly does not have a chance.
Our new governor will lead us into the 2020s by trying to pull us back a couple generations. There's been some talk of Georgia turning purple that ain't happening yet

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:57 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

This 495 expansion project is getting ridiculous. The county has spent years building high density housing right against the highway to prevent enlargement and now that people have had enough of the traffic, the progs on the county are turning on everyone in the state government. It's the biggest bunch of "more other people should take the bus" bullshit I've ever heard.

Attention MoCo activists: NO ONE IS GOING TO SPEND 4 HOURS A DAY ON A BUS WHEN THEY CAN DRIVE THERE IN 20 MINUTES

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:33 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The long term answer just cannot be to invest more money in high traffic, but my god do we need to innovate our public transit. We haven’t reasonably evolved our approach to bussing in decades, even as we’ve packed more and more people into the areas they serve and put more and more cars on the road around them.

I like the bus, but we did two carless years in Seattle in 2014-15 and it was a fucking chore.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:08 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:
The long term answer just cannot be to invest more money in high traffic, but my god do we need to innovate our public transit. We haven’t reasonably evolved our approach to bussing in decades, even as we’ve packed more and more people into the areas they serve and put more and more cars on the road around them.

I like the bus, but we did two carless years in Seattle in 2014-15 and it was a fucking chore.

I agree and have no idea on how to address public transit issues.

But putting more and more dense residential in place to drive up property tax receipts without addressing getting those people to their jobs so they can pay those taxes isn't helping.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:45 am 
Site Admin

Bi_3 wrote:
This 495 expansion project is getting ridiculous. The county has spent years building high density housing right against the highway to prevent enlargement and now that people have had enough of the traffic, the progs on the county are turning on everyone in the state government. It's the biggest bunch of "more other people should take the bus" bullshit I've ever heard.

Attention MoCo activists: NO ONE IS GOING TO SPEND 4 HOURS A DAY ON A BUS WHEN THEY CAN DRIVE THERE IN 20 MINUTES
Is this the same thing Drew Magary ranted about?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:27 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Green Habit wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Yup, part of the ongoing “other people should take the bus more” problem and completely misrepresented the how much this is needed as evidenced by the success of MD200: https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2017/11/aaa ... connector/

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:39 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Bi_3 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Yup, part of the ongoing “other people should take the bus more” problem and completely misrepresented the how much this is needed as evidenced by the success of MD200: https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2017/11/aaa ... connector/

The alternative is too good to be true:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/a-montgomery-developer-has-a-plan-to-ease-traffic-on-i-270-build-a-monorail/2019/05/18/fc89372a-7724-11e9-b3f5-5673edf2d127_story.html

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:21 pm 
Site Admin

Bi_3 wrote:
I hear those things are awfully loud.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:27 pm 
Poster of the Year

Green Habit wrote:

:)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate