The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Local/State Politics: Engage Now Or Die!
PostPosted: Tue November 26, 2019 2:01 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Gonna go out on a limb and say that the suburbs of Portland definitely have, have had, or will have a judge who needs to be recalled, but whatever man.

PostPosted: Tue November 26, 2019 4:19 am 
Mind Your Tanners

bune wrote:

I live in Vancouver WA, a small little suburb of Portland.

PostPosted: Tue November 26, 2019 5:16 am 
Mind Your Tanners

bune wrote:
bune wrote:

I live in Vancouver WA, a small little suburb of Portland.

Indeed.

PostPosted: Tue November 26, 2019 5:18 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Ah the suburbs, where never a ghastly ghoul has run for public office.

PostPosted: Tue November 26, 2019 4:06 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Ah, I see what you're saying. Sorry, just wanted to be sure you knew I couldn't do shit for those crappy judges over there. Here...nothing egregious has happened but I'm sure there's something that has had very poor reporting that I've missed.

PostPosted: Wed December 04, 2019 7:26 pm 
Site Admin

Boise just saw its four term mayor taken down by a councilor he had appointed years ago and are pretty well aligned with each other on the issues. Everyone was surprised when she ran against him, but she read the political winds correctly and mopped the floor with him in the ballot box.

PostPosted: Wed December 04, 2019 7:37 pm 
Production Police

Green Habit wrote:
Boise just saw its four term mayor taken down by a councilor he had appointed years ago and are pretty well aligned with each other on the issues. Everyone was surprised when she ran against him, but she read the political winds correctly and mopped the floor with him in the ballot box.

:bammer:

PostPosted: Wed December 04, 2019 10:56 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

There is a major redistricting and busing project underway in my county (one family interviewed has had each of its 3 kids assigned to schools in different zip codes) and it’s exposing some pretty big fractures in a solidly blue area over how to improve school quality and diversity given that funding increases don’t seem to be effective.

PostPosted: Wed December 04, 2019 11:17 pm 
Site Admin

The negative replies to this are really lame, and they're missing the very easy layup here: you no longer have to drive all the way to Boise for drugs at a pharmacy thanks to deregulation, but you still have to drive all the way to Ontario or Spokane for drugs at a dispensary thanks to lack of deregulation.

PostPosted: Wed December 04, 2019 11:20 pm 
Site Admin

Bi_3 wrote:
There is a major redistricting and busing project underway in my county (one family interviewed has had each of its 3 kids assigned to schools in different zip codes) and it’s exposing some pretty big fractures in a solidly blue area over how to improve school quality and diversity given that funding increases don’t seem to be effective.
I agree that I feel this issue brewing up and could cause real contention between the woke left and the bougie left that could explode at any moment.

PostPosted: Thu December 05, 2019 1:03 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Green Habit wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
I agree that I feel this issue brewing up and could cause real contention between the woke left and the bougie left that could explode at any moment.

Can’t tell if you are serious... but it’s big news here. Kinda surprised Trump hasn’t mentioned it given how he hates our county leaders and his kid goes to school here

PostPosted: Thu December 05, 2019 1:53 am 
Site Admin

Bi_3 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Can’t tell if you are serious... but it’s big news here. Kinda surprised Trump hasn’t mentioned it given how he hates our county leaders and his kid goes to school here
I'm serious and completely agree with you on it being big news.

PostPosted: Mon December 16, 2019 8:16 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Green Habit wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
I'm serious and completely agree with you on it being big news.

This is starting to get serious. The consulting business doing the study (as if the decision wasn’t already made) is doing the same thing in Queens and it’s getting heated there as well. My wife was handed a flyer in the grocery store about a Facebook group opposing any school boundary changes... it was a straight up dog whistle. Now the board of education is pressuring council members to pass laws barring real estate agents from indicating which schools serve which neighborhoods and a law stating suits against them go to arbitration not court.

PostPosted: Mon December 16, 2019 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

Bi_3 wrote:
Now the board of education is pressuring council members to pass laws barring real estate agents from indicating which schools serve which neighborhoods
This seems like it would violate the First Amendment. And even if the courts disagree with that, it should be super easy to find out that information on your own, anyway.

PostPosted: Mon December 16, 2019 9:01 pm 
Future Drummer

Bi_3 wrote:
Now the board of education is pressuring council members to pass laws barring real estate agents from indicating which schools serve which neighborhoods and a law stating suits against them go to arbitration not court.
Wow, that school board should be fired. How can any adult think that's a good idea?

Next up the police getting in on this. Making it illegal for news agencies to report any shooting incidents involving police.

PostPosted: Fri December 20, 2019 6:39 pm 
Future Drummer

Our local government loves to proclaim something is a crisis and then implement policies that act as if the crisis doesn't exist.

Vancouver council has declared there is a climate crisis. A couple weeks later they granted free parking to veterans at all street pay parking and city owned lots. That's a great way to address the climate crisis, make it cheaper and easier for people to get around by car.

They have also declared there is a housing crisis. That Vancouver is too expensive to live in. They just adopted a 7% increase in property taxes. That's going to make it more affordable to live here, of that I am sure.

PostPosted: Fri December 20, 2019 6:45 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

surfndestroy wrote:
Our local government loves to proclaim something is a crisis and then implement policies that act as if the crisis doesn't exist.

Vancouver council has declared there is a climate crisis. A couple weeks later they granted free parking to veterans at all street pay parking and city owned lots. That's a great way to address the climate crisis, make it cheaper and easier for people to get around by car.

They have also declared there is a housing crisis. That Vancouver is too expensive to live in. They just adopted a 7% increase in property taxes. That's going to make it more affordable to live here, of that I am sure.

aren't you're property taxes already quite cheap? we're looking to buy up there soon and ours our 10x the amount here

PostPosted: Fri December 20, 2019 6:51 pm 
Future Drummer

doug rr wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:

aren't you're property taxes already quite cheap? we're looking to buy up there soon and ours our 10x the amount here

If you don't live her, be prepared for an empty homes tax.

Canadian property taxes cover different services than US. The percentage rate is quite low in Vancouver because housing prices are quite high. I tend to look at the overall tax rate. I am far from rich and the different levels of government get over 55% of my income.

PostPosted: Sat December 21, 2019 2:32 am 
mXn

Hey man, all I wanna do is put up a few more speed bumps and get responsibly priced haircuts. Vote for Bammer.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:28 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Cooper probably won't get reelected here in NC, but I'm glad he's standing up to Trump on this convention thing

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate