The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Professional Athletes vs. America
PostPosted: Tue July 02, 2019 3:37 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I have a 13 star flag. Guess I better burn that fucker quick!

PostPosted: Tue July 02, 2019 3:40 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Ready for everyone to get hopping mad about the cancellation of this truly awful, garish, hideous shoe.

PostPosted: Wed July 03, 2019 12:52 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed July 03, 2019 1:55 pm 
A Return To Form

bada wrote:

They all have 13 stripes right? So shouldn't they all get burned?

PostPosted: Wed July 03, 2019 2:07 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Fuzzy_Dunlop wrote:
bada wrote:

They all have 13 stripes right? So shouldn't they all get burned?

We’ll get there soon enough.

PostPosted: Tue September 08, 2020 7:50 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Amateur athletes, but....

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/08/us/ncaa-student-athletes-equal-pay-trnd/index.html

Quote:
The report found that the money generated by football and basketball programs -- whose majority of players are Black -- pays for the salaries of coaches and administrators, is used to upgrade facilities the teams use, and finances non-revenue sports played mostly by affluent White student athletes.

Will the terror ever end?

PostPosted: Tue September 08, 2020 8:10 pm 
Gone

A giant astroid needs to wipe us out. The human race shouldn't exist anymore. I nominate cows to take over.

PostPosted: Tue September 08, 2020 9:21 pm 
Rank This Poster

Bi_3 wrote:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/08/us/ncaa-student-athletes-equal-pay-trnd/index.html

Quote:
The report found that the money generated by football and basketball programs -- whose majority of players are Black -- pays for the salaries of coaches and administrators, is used to upgrade facilities the teams use, and finances non-revenue sports played mostly by affluent White student athletes.

If you even sort of pay attention to college athletics this is obvious, it needs no report. Amateurism as it exists in NCAA sports must end. D3 is amateur. D1 is not amateur in almost any sport.

PostPosted: Tue September 08, 2020 9:26 pm 
Gone

Electromatic wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Quote:

If you even sort of pay attention to college athletics this is obvious, it needs no report. Amateurism as it exists in NCAA sports must end. D3 is amateur. D1 is not amateur in almost any sport.

How are you planning to prop up the D1 fencers though?

PostPosted: Wed September 09, 2020 2:56 am 
Mind Your Tanners

verb_to_trust wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Quote:

Won't somebody think of the eSports?

PostPosted: Wed September 09, 2020 4:21 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Green Habit wrote:

This is pretty dumb, but if it promotes the idea that tax policy should be about revenue generation and not preferencing certain industries or companies then I suppose its acceptable.

PostPosted: Wed September 09, 2020 4:31 am 
Rank This Poster

verb_to_trust wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Quote:

If they aren’t amateurs they can prop up themselves. I’m sure they have the Cello as a fall back scholarship to Stanford, they go pro in so many other ways....As for the sport itself, sure it may be cut in a lot of places. So are hundreds of academic programs no one cares about.

Let some rich rower donate shells

PostPosted: Wed September 09, 2020 4:47 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Wed March 08, 2023 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed September 09, 2020 4:51 am 
Gone

BurtReynolds wrote:
How would the pay to college football players be determined?

Just ask them what they want?

PostPosted: Wed September 09, 2020 4:55 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Wed March 08, 2023 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed September 09, 2020 5:21 am 
Gone

They should be able to sign with whatever pro team they want as young as they want then just pick whatever college they want to go to for their minor league youth development. When the parent NFL team decides the player is ready they can call them up either permanently or on a situational basis. The parent NFL team would probably have to have some sort of financial responsibility to the college for developing the talent further but I'm sure all that could be worked out. The main thing here is these guys could still get the education they crave.

PostPosted: Fri September 11, 2020 5:22 pm 
Future Drummer

Allow them to 1) trade off their likeness and 2) set up an account for each player that accrues an amount of money based on factors like years played, practices attended and games played.

Done.

PostPosted: Fri September 11, 2020 5:41 pm 
Future Drummer

BurtReynolds wrote:
I'm trying to picture what NCAA football looks like after they start paying players. I imagine most programs fold.

Probably a lot like the baseball model. Some players going the scholarship/university way and others opting for an immediate paycheck and signing on with a club and developing in the minor leagues. Footbaal is not basketball, I can't see many people being signed onto even 6 figure contracts coming out of high school.

PostPosted: Fri September 11, 2020 6:34 pm 
Rank This Poster

BurtReynolds wrote:
How would the pay to college football players be determined?

If you end amateurism and nothing else very little changes. The scholarship (and total cost of attendance) has value and is payment for services rendered for the school. That is a fair deal now. What is unfair is saying oh, you're an Amateur and we own all your rights while you're here, so we have the right to profit off you but you don't, because you're amateur.

Amateurism is the problem, not how much they get paid. Football related healthcare, and a guaranteed 4 year scholarship room/board and books are plenty coming from the school. By the way, it's perfectly fine for me if you want to bring all those boosters and agents into the light, and whomever gives the player the best deal (from the players perspective) gets to win that recruit.

After that, let them find their own money. Say Ford wants Trevor Lawrence to say he drives F150's, have at it Hos.

Say Speedo wants to pay some college Olympian to say they just love their swim caps. Go for it. Say Jimmy from the Dorm's wants to print a shirt that says Todd Gurley is the Fing Greatest, you're good. As long as it doesn't have the college licensing, or say it does and you get that approved then you're good.

All of this is square with title 9 because the onus is on the athlete to find that extra income, this treats men and women equally under the rules.

Payment is not and was never the issue. The issue is forced amateurism in what is in every possible way a professional sport.

Earning an Athletic Scholarship absolutely makes that athlete professional and that is how they are treated.

Oh and for the amateur sport enthusiasts, Division 3 has always been out there. No athletic scholarships the "Love of the Game" If you just love watching amateurs mix it up. You can still do that.

PostPosted: Fri September 11, 2020 7:23 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

If the "amateurism" required to play in college is unacceptable, why even have them go to college then? Why not just create NFL minor leagues (and someone above suggested) and forgo the illusion that they are there to learn and free those admission slots up for to people who go to college in order to achieve a college level education?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate