The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Professional Athletes vs. America
PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 12:46 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

So on Monday Night Football (let's see if I get this right), the Cardinals stood and linked arms and the Cowboys knelt before the anthem, but then stood and linked arms during the anthem. What the fuck does any of that mean?

It means they want to support free speech, but not so much that their fans get mad. It ends up being a half measure that means nothing. They shouldn't have bothered.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 2:28 am 
tl;dr

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Not gonna lie, KD, but your mom sounds kinda dumb.

My mother is wise and incredibly intelligent in many ways and has a great heart. She is fair-minded and relatively nonpartisan at the ballot box, which I admire, and she is not a Trump fan (or wasn't last time we talked about it). But she is old-fashioned when it comes to patriotism, the flag, etc. in a way that is consistent with many almost-70 year old women who grew up in downstate Illinois and had parents who served in WWII, and she is easily led by Facebook mob mentality. This particular example just struck me as humorous, and a good example of how ill-considered most of this flippant Facebook posting and meme-sharing really is.

Last edited by Kevin Davis on Tue September 26, 2017 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 2:46 am 
Poster of the Year

Kevin Davis wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Not gonna lie, KD, but your mom sounds kinda dumb.

My mother is wise and incredibly intelligent in many ways and has a great heart. She is fair-minded and relatively nonpartisan at the ballot box, which I admire, and she is not a Trump fan (or wasn't last time we talked about it). But she is old-fashioned when it comes to patriotism, the flag, etc. in a way that is consistent with many almost-70 year old women who grew up in downstate Illinois and had parents who served in WWII, and she is easily led by Facebook mob mentality. This particular example just struck me as humorous, and a good example of how ill-considered most of this flippant Facebook posting and meme-sharing really is.

I was just messing with ya.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 2:47 am 
Poster of the Year

My mom is turning 69 and I'm not convinced she wasn't an SDS member back in the day.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 2:51 am 
tl;dr

Oh, I know -- no offense taken.

Personally, I couldn't care less if people want to boycott the NFL, and I certainly couldn't care less if people want to stand, sit, kneel, whatever during a song -- to me this situation has basically become a battle of wills between two groups of people who are shouting at each other using symbolic gestures that don't travel, and I think at some point it has to speak to the effectiveness of the gesture as much as to the bullheadedness of its targets (which I concede is a crisis-level epidemic) that it seems so incapable of conveying its original message. I don't know. We'll see what comes of it, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 6:50 am 
what on earth am I talking about

theplatypus wrote:
America..why won't you just ban the fucking professional athletes?

America.. THIS IS WHY THEY SERVED would have been my choice.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 11:14 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Good shit at 8:20 on this video.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 2:17 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Damn that's 50% of your news sources right there

PostPosted: Thu September 28, 2017 9:57 am 
Looks Like a Cat

theplatypus wrote:
Damn that's 50% of your news sources right there

AL

PostPosted: Thu September 28, 2017 10:10 am 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
So on Monday Night Football (let's see if I get this right), the Cardinals stood and linked arms and the Cowboys knelt before the anthem, but then stood and linked arms during the anthem. What the fuck does any of that mean?

It means they want to support free speech, but not so much that their fans get mad. It ends up being a half measure that means nothing. They shouldn't have bothered.

They are kinda stuck, though right? Kapernick’s original point about showing to a national audience that not all anti-Police abuse protesters are overly tattooed thugs who profit from violence is a perfectly legitimate stance to take, but so is Trump standing in opposition to it and Kapernick’s Castro-loving, America-bashing position.

PostPosted: Thu September 28, 2017 12:47 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
Kapernick’s original point about showing to a national audience that not all anti-Police abuse protesters are overly tattooed thugs who profit from violence is a perfectly legitimate stance to take, but so is Trump standing in opposition to it and Kapernick’s Castro-loving, America-bashing position.

And if Trump had articulated anything like that, or implied that THAT was his primary cause of disapproval and done so in a mature, stately way, we wouldn't even have this thread.

Nothing about the way he's handled this has suggested that he actually cares about anything other than culture war baiting.

PostPosted: Thu September 28, 2017 8:36 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:

They are kinda stuck, though right? Kapernick’s original point about showing to a national audience that not all anti-Police abuse protesters are overly tattooed thugs who profit from violence is a perfectly legitimate stance to take, but so is Trump standing in opposition to it and Kapernick’s Castro-loving, America-bashing position.

I don't think they're stuck at all. They can kneel. They can not kneel. They can explain why or why not. They could not say anything. The half measure was a cowardly way to try and both kneel and not kneel.

PostPosted: Thu September 28, 2017 8:59 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:

Not sure on this bit here. What?

PostPosted: Thu September 28, 2017 9:05 pm 
Poster of the Year

bune wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:

It's anti American to think the police shouldn't kill unarmed black people.

PostPosted: Thu September 28, 2017 9:07 pm 
The Master

cutuphalfdead wrote:
bune wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:

Its a trendy take, no doubt.

PostPosted: Thu September 28, 2017 9:16 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Strat wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
bune wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:

Its a trendy take, no doubt.

Also, this:

PostPosted: Thu September 28, 2017 9:19 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Wed March 08, 2023 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu September 28, 2017 10:39 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

This is all making me realize how disrespectful those even flow piss breaks must be

PostPosted: Thu September 28, 2017 11:59 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:

I don't think they're stuck at all. They can kneel. They can not kneel. They can explain why or why not. They could not say anything. The half measure was a cowardly way to try and both kneel and not kneel.

That's a false choice, though. It's not "kneel for the pledge or you're a racist coward"

I don't think choosing not to kneel makes anyone a racist. That just means a person doesn't choose to protest. But they WANTED to protest. They just didn't want to face the consequences in protesting. So, they knelt, but not really.

PostPosted: Fri September 29, 2017 3:23 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Wed March 08, 2023 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate