The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Antifa?
PostPosted: Sat September 09, 2017 4:36 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat September 09, 2017 4:40 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Quote:
Of the 85 violent extremist incidents that resulted in death since September 12, 2001, far-right wing violent extremist groups were responsible for 62 (73 percent)

Report developed by a Republican-led Accountability Office, and peer reviewed by multiple conservative-leaning law enforcement groups.

PostPosted: Sat September 09, 2017 4:41 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat September 09, 2017 5:39 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
I love how Trump supporters suddenly become sensitive towards the feelings of others when a liberal reacts violently towards something outrageous. It never fails. So transparent and disingenuous.

What does this even mean?

Seems pretty clear. Which part are you having trouble understanding?

Being concerned about people getting punched and bludgeoned /= "sensitive towards ... feelings".

Also, wearing a MAGA hat or merely attending a Trump rally in 2016 especially, not that outrageous. Patriot Prayer, not outrageous. Befuddling, maybe. Outrageous? How?

Charlottesville, outrageous? I'll grant you that. That however, did not occur in a vacuum.

When these same people haven't been concerned at all with how their views, politics, privilege, and ignorance marginalize, dehumanize, and endanger minorities, then yeah, they're being selectively sensitive to the feelings/safety of white, racist pieces of shit. Like them.

So, speech = violence? You don't understand why I don't buy into that?

PostPosted: Sat September 09, 2017 11:58 am 
Looks Like a Cat

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
When these same people haven't been concerned at all with how their views, politics, privilege, and ignorance marginalize, dehumanize, and endanger minorities, then yeah, they're being selectively sensitive to the feelings/safety of white, racist pieces of shit. Like them.

Instead of attacking this comment, and you know I want to, it might be beneficial to take this up a few levels.

What your suggesting is not unreasonable at all, but it makes assumptions about what one person 'owes' to another and IMO that is part of the political disconnect in 'Merica and really most of western civilization right now. What obligations do you feel we owe other individuals? I feel like the question is particularly core to modern social justice movements , especially in the context of positive vs. negative injunctions with regards to minority groups given your statement above.

PostPosted: Sat September 09, 2017 1:07 pm 
The Master

Living in a society, there are certain social constructs everyone tacitly agrees to in order for that society to function. Like not driving into oncoming traffic. Or not breaking into someone else's house. When these rules are violated, we punish the violator. Adhering to these rules is done out of a mix of self-preservation and courtesy to others.

I'm kind of rambling, but basically, I don't believe society can function if we don't, to some degree, care about each other. We owe each other that much. Something I keep thinking about a lot is a political op-ed I saw somewhere recently responding to a lot of conservative and libertarian policies being pursued and arguments being made lately that was simply titled "I Don't Know How to Explain to You That You Should Care About Other People." Sometimes it seems like there is a fundamental disconnect there when these political discussions come up. As someone whose wife is a Hispanic sexual abuse survivor, as someone who has friends who are gay, disabled, and transgender, as someone who is upset by the imbalance of power and wealth in this country, yes, it upsets me when so many conservatives want to enact policies that further marginalize people I care about. That make it harder for them to thrive and feel safe. That make it harder for people like me to succeed or be happy. That make it harder for all of us to care about each other. I'm a victim of it myself - I never imagined myself as someone who would see ANYONE getting beaten up and think it was a good thing. But that's what this last year of politics has done to me. The disillusionment has been brutal.

PostPosted: Sat September 09, 2017 2:03 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Living in a society, there are certain social constructs everyone tacitly agrees to in order for that society to function. Like not driving into oncoming traffic. Or not breaking into someone else's house. When these rules are violated, we punish the violator. Adhering to these rules is done out of a mix of self-preservation and courtesy to others.

I'm kind of rambling, but basically, I don't believe society can function if we don't, to some degree, care about each other. We owe each other that much. Something I keep thinking about a lot is a political op-ed I saw somewhere recently responding to a lot of conservative and libertarian policies being pursued and arguments being made lately that was simply titled "I Don't Know How to Explain to You That You Should Care About Other People." Sometimes it seems like there is a fundamental disconnect there when these political discussions come up. As someone whose wife is a Hispanic sexual abuse survivor, as someone who has friends who are gay, disabled, and transgender, as someone who is upset by the imbalance of power and wealth in this country, yes, it upsets me when so many conservatives want to enact policies that further marginalize people I care about. That make it harder for them to thrive and feel safe. That make it harder for people like me to succeed or be happy. That make it harder for all of us to care about each other. I'm a victim of it myself - I never imagined myself as someone who would see ANYONE getting beaten up and think it was a good thing. But that's what this last year of politics has done to me. The disillusionment has been brutal.

I want to respond to this properly, but I have to run kids to soccer, so maybe later this afternoon. Let me just say that I have nothing but respect for what you wrote there. It's an admirable and honest perspective to take when thinking about larger problems; to look at real effects on real people are not just take a stance to take one or fit in.

PostPosted: Tue October 03, 2017 1:16 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I know someone will bitch that they hate this guy, but when I imagine members of RM talking, this is usually how you guys sound in my head.

PostPosted: Tue October 03, 2017 2:38 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
I know someone will bitch that they hate this guy, but when I imagine members of RM talking, this is usually how you guys sound in my head.

When people attempt to smart by being an asshole.... fucking millennials. Antifa is not something that appeared as a response to Trump or the bigot portion of his base.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40930831

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/826336/Hamburg-g20-protests-what-is-Antifa-demonstrations-protestors-Welcome-to-Hell

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/is-melbourne-too-dangerous-for-conservatives-behind-the-leftwing-antifa-movement-that-attacked-andrew-bolt-20170608-gwnb6h.html

PostPosted: Tue October 03, 2017 7:44 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I'm not really sure that any of those links invalidate the point of the video.

PostPosted: Tue October 03, 2017 8:55 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
I'm not really sure that any of those links invalidate the point of the video.

The original video depicts Antifa as reaction to "white supremacy", which it is not. The second claims the violence committed by Antifa is media distorting a small number of participants to raise fear and ratings, while technically correct in that the media behaves that way (see "rising white supremacy in America") and not all Antifa people are violent, that's not the point the anti-antifa crowd is making and it's disingenuous bordering on dishonest to suggest that there is a moral separation. It's akin to saying "people who watch a rape are not rapists". Technically correct, but they not in the right.

Edit: In the second, it's almost like he was saying there was violence but there were “some very fine people” as well.

PostPosted: Wed October 04, 2017 7:05 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
It's akin to saying "people who watch a rape are not rapists". Technically correct, but they not in the right.

Edit: In the second, it's almost like he was saying there was violence but there were “some very fine people” as well.

I disagree. If there's an anti-Nazi rally and some Antifa people crash it and start violence, that doesn't suddenly taint the whole rally. The original rally attendees aren't watching rape. What can they do when violent protesters crash their rally.

On the other side of the spectrum, the whole point of the rally is to support white supremacy. A couple "very fine people" might have show up [sic], but that wasn't the point of the rally.

PostPosted: Wed October 04, 2017 7:53 pm 

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun October 08, 2017 8:17 am 
Broken Tamborine

resisting against the system.

An anti fascist movement should be seen for what it is.........anti-fascist tho led to some terrible things during WWII, fire bombing of Dresden, carpet bombing French villages.....resisting fascism is very much a noble course....But violently pursuing such an end could lead to terrible acts, and it absolutely matters how you get to where we need to be,.

PostPosted: Sun October 22, 2017 11:33 am 
Looks Like a Cat

November 4th is getting close....

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 10:35 am 
Broken Tamborine

When military General's are the ones reigning in the civilian control of the military..the POTUS...

To use the nomenclaure of today's political discourse.....

its bad.

PostPosted: Sat November 04, 2017 11:08 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Bi_3 wrote:
November 4th is getting close....

Today's the day! Everyone got their bug-out bags ready?

PostPosted: Tue November 07, 2017 12:48 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I guess they were all too busy binge watching Stranger Things to overthrow capitalism.

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2019 5:14 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

bump

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2019 5:16 pm 
Future Drummer

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
bump

Can't say I didn't look over my shoulder a bit on a recent trip to Portland. It's a bit extreme there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate