The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Antifa?
PostPosted: Sat September 09, 2017 4:36 am 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 28588
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
Someone motivated by BLM murders five cops. Another murders two more. Bernie bro shoots 5 people in Washington. Months of repeated riots and attacks in Berkeley and elsewhere that have nothing to do with nazis and started happening well before Charlottesville. Repeated attacks on people that no one with a brain would call nazis or white supremacists. There are thousands of them, yet only a few hundred white supremacists. Yet somehow Nazis are the greatest threat to America? Give me a break.

There really isn't a comparison here.

_________________
Gravity is pseudo science. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJOZp2ZftCw


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Antifa?
PostPosted: Sat September 09, 2017 4:40 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 1:56 am
Posts: 12476
Quote:
Of the 85 violent extremist incidents that resulted in death since September 12, 2001, far-right wing violent extremist groups were responsible for 62 (73 percent)


Report developed by a Republican-led Accountability Office, and peer reviewed by multiple conservative-leaning law enforcement groups.

_________________
Cell Phone Songs



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Antifa?
PostPosted: Sat September 09, 2017 4:41 am 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 28588
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
WOAH 62 attacks in 16 years!? Holy shit the fourth reich is upon us. Suspend the first and second amendments! Punch anyone who isn't a communist!

More people were shot in Chicago last week.

_________________
Gravity is pseudo science. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJOZp2ZftCw


Last edited by BurtReynolds on Sat September 09, 2017 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Antifa?
PostPosted: Sat September 09, 2017 5:39 am 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:41 am
Posts: 1163
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
I love how Trump supporters suddenly become sensitive towards the feelings of others when a liberal reacts violently towards something outrageous. It never fails. So transparent and disingenuous.


What does this even mean?

Seems pretty clear. Which part are you having trouble understanding?


Being concerned about people getting punched and bludgeoned /= "sensitive towards ... feelings".

Also, wearing a MAGA hat or merely attending a Trump rally in 2016 especially, not that outrageous. Patriot Prayer, not outrageous. Befuddling, maybe. Outrageous? How?

Charlottesville, outrageous? I'll grant you that. That however, did not occur in a vacuum.

When these same people haven't been concerned at all with how their views, politics, privilege, and ignorance marginalize, dehumanize, and endanger minorities, then yeah, they're being selectively sensitive to the feelings/safety of white, racist pieces of shit. Like them.


So, speech = violence? You don't understand why I don't buy into that?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Antifa?
PostPosted: Sat September 09, 2017 11:58 am 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 2194
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
When these same people haven't been concerned at all with how their views, politics, privilege, and ignorance marginalize, dehumanize, and endanger minorities, then yeah, they're being selectively sensitive to the feelings/safety of white, racist pieces of shit. Like them.


Instead of attacking this comment, and you know I want to, it might be beneficial to take this up a few levels.

What your suggesting is not unreasonable at all, but it makes assumptions about what one person 'owes' to another and IMO that is part of the political disconnect in 'Merica and really most of western civilization right now. What obligations do you feel we owe other individuals? I feel like the question is particularly core to modern social justice movements , especially in the context of positive vs. negative injunctions with regards to minority groups given your statement above.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Antifa?
PostPosted: Sat September 09, 2017 1:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 30893
Location: this field intentionally left blank
Living in a society, there are certain social constructs everyone tacitly agrees to in order for that society to function. Like not driving into oncoming traffic. Or not breaking into someone else's house. When these rules are violated, we punish the violator. Adhering to these rules is done out of a mix of self-preservation and courtesy to others.

I'm kind of rambling, but basically, I don't believe society can function if we don't, to some degree, care about each other. We owe each other that much. Something I keep thinking about a lot is a political op-ed I saw somewhere recently responding to a lot of conservative and libertarian policies being pursued and arguments being made lately that was simply titled "I Don't Know How to Explain to You That You Should Care About Other People." Sometimes it seems like there is a fundamental disconnect there when these political discussions come up. As someone whose wife is a Hispanic sexual abuse survivor, as someone who has friends who are gay, disabled, and transgender, as someone who is upset by the imbalance of power and wealth in this country, yes, it upsets me when so many conservatives want to enact policies that further marginalize people I care about. That make it harder for them to thrive and feel safe. That make it harder for people like me to succeed or be happy. That make it harder for all of us to care about each other. I'm a victim of it myself - I never imagined myself as someone who would see ANYONE getting beaten up and think it was a good thing. But that's what this last year of politics has done to me. The disillusionment has been brutal.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Antifa?
PostPosted: Sat September 09, 2017 2:03 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 2194
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Living in a society, there are certain social constructs everyone tacitly agrees to in order for that society to function. Like not driving into oncoming traffic. Or not breaking into someone else's house. When these rules are violated, we punish the violator. Adhering to these rules is done out of a mix of self-preservation and courtesy to others.

I'm kind of rambling, but basically, I don't believe society can function if we don't, to some degree, care about each other. We owe each other that much. Something I keep thinking about a lot is a political op-ed I saw somewhere recently responding to a lot of conservative and libertarian policies being pursued and arguments being made lately that was simply titled "I Don't Know How to Explain to You That You Should Care About Other People." Sometimes it seems like there is a fundamental disconnect there when these political discussions come up. As someone whose wife is a Hispanic sexual abuse survivor, as someone who has friends who are gay, disabled, and transgender, as someone who is upset by the imbalance of power and wealth in this country, yes, it upsets me when so many conservatives want to enact policies that further marginalize people I care about. That make it harder for them to thrive and feel safe. That make it harder for people like me to succeed or be happy. That make it harder for all of us to care about each other. I'm a victim of it myself - I never imagined myself as someone who would see ANYONE getting beaten up and think it was a good thing. But that's what this last year of politics has done to me. The disillusionment has been brutal.


I want to respond to this properly, but I have to run kids to soccer, so maybe later this afternoon. Let me just say that I have nothing but respect for what you wrote there. It's an admirable and honest perspective to take when thinking about larger problems; to look at real effects on real people are not just take a stance to take one or fit in.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Antifa?
PostPosted: Tue October 03, 2017 1:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 7618
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
I know someone will bitch that they hate this guy, but when I imagine members of RM talking, this is usually how you guys sound in my head.


_________________
"In a roundabout way, Boba Fett created Pearl Jam." - Chuck Klosterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Antifa?
PostPosted: Tue October 03, 2017 2:38 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 2194
B wrote:
I know someone will bitch that they hate this guy, but when I imagine members of RM talking, this is usually how you guys sound in my head.



When people attempt to smart by being an asshole.... fucking millennials. Antifa is not something that appeared as a response to Trump or the bigot portion of his base.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40930831

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/826336/Hamburg-g20-protests-what-is-Antifa-demonstrations-protestors-Welcome-to-Hell

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/is-melbourne-too-dangerous-for-conservatives-behind-the-leftwing-antifa-movement-that-attacked-andrew-bolt-20170608-gwnb6h.html


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Antifa?
PostPosted: Tue October 03, 2017 7:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 7618
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
I'm not really sure that any of those links invalidate the point of the video.


_________________
"In a roundabout way, Boba Fett created Pearl Jam." - Chuck Klosterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Antifa?
PostPosted: Tue October 03, 2017 8:55 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 2194
B wrote:
I'm not really sure that any of those links invalidate the point of the video.




The original video depicts Antifa as reaction to "white supremacy", which it is not. The second claims the violence committed by Antifa is media distorting a small number of participants to raise fear and ratings, while technically correct in that the media behaves that way (see "rising white supremacy in America") and not all Antifa people are violent, that's not the point the anti-antifa crowd is making and it's disingenuous bordering on dishonest to suggest that there is a moral separation. It's akin to saying "people who watch a rape are not rapists". Technically correct, but they not in the right.

Edit: In the second, it's almost like he was saying there was violence but there were “some very fine people” as well.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Antifa?
PostPosted: Wed October 04, 2017 7:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 7618
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Bi_3 wrote:
It's akin to saying "people who watch a rape are not rapists". Technically correct, but they not in the right.

Edit: In the second, it's almost like he was saying there was violence but there were “some very fine people” as well.


I disagree. If there's an anti-Nazi rally and some Antifa people crash it and start violence, that doesn't suddenly taint the whole rally. The original rally attendees aren't watching rape. What can they do when violent protesters crash their rally.

On the other side of the spectrum, the whole point of the rally is to support white supremacy. A couple "very fine people" might have show up [sic], but that wasn't the point of the rally.

_________________
"In a roundabout way, Boba Fett created Pearl Jam." - Chuck Klosterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Antifa?
PostPosted: Wed October 04, 2017 7:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 28588
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
the state smashes back

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/inde ... cop_c.html

_________________
Gravity is pseudo science. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJOZp2ZftCw


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Antifa?
PostPosted: Sun October 08, 2017 8:17 am 
Offline
User avatar
Banned from the Pit
 Profile

Joined: Mon June 12, 2017 10:14 am
Posts: 37
resisting against the system.






An anti fascist movement should be seen for what it is.........anti-fascist tho led to some terrible things during WWII, fire bombing of Dresden, carpet bombing French villages.....resisting fascism is very much a noble course....But violently pursuing such an end could lead to terrible acts, and it absolutely matters how you get to where we need to be,.

_________________
There's plenty for all.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Antifa?
PostPosted: Sun October 22, 2017 11:33 am 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 2194
November 4th is getting close....


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Mon October 23, 2017 4:26 am