The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Cannabis
PostPosted: Tue January 07, 2014 3:02 am 
Site Admin

I'm going to make a bold prediction: it will be legal in all of the United States, either de jure or de facto, by 2030.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/165539/first ... juana.aspx
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... a-soaring/

Look at those breakdowns by age groups. This is looking to be just as much of a generational clash as same-sex marriage is. About two-thirds of Millennials and Xers, and even a majority of Boomers. It's hard to imagine that trend changing.

Post subject: Re: Cannabis
PostPosted: Tue January 07, 2014 3:21 am 
post-structuralist

all I know is it would be a hell of a jump to the economy if they legalized it

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Tue January 07, 2014 6:26 am 
The Master

shit, murder will probably be legal in the US by 2030

PostPosted: Tue January 07, 2014 6:49 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Legal cannabis is in short supply and about 25% more expensive than its black market counterpart in Colorado. If legal cannabis is as heavily regulated (and taxed) elsewhere as it is in Colorado, do we expect the black market to disappear?

PostPosted: Tue January 07, 2014 2:35 pm 
Broken Tamborine

simple schoolboy wrote:
Legal cannabis is in short supply and about 25% more expensive than its black market counterpart in Colorado. If legal cannabis is as heavily regulated (and taxed) elsewhere as it is in Colorado, do we expect the black market to disappear?

It's in short supply because of the 99 plant limitations for most growers. It was funny to me that already the local governments were a bit absent minded about what the tax revenue is suppose to be used for after the first day of sales.

Good thing there's the people to remind them of this flamboyant mj culture tagline: "Buy legal, it's for the children."

PostPosted: Tue January 07, 2014 2:44 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Seriously though? I feel like the black market will quickly catch up in price. No tax on top of the sale is just as tasty of a deal for people as low priced taxed marijuana. Pretty sure that model is why there was a "wholesaler" tax of 15% built in.

Couldn't figure it out why earlier because the marijuana market is a vertical model. Technically there are no "wholesalers" only direct retail. Retailers have to grow more than half of their own product. I don't think there is honestly enough demand by local folks to buy - so we're looking at a tourist industry mostly and only as long as it hasn't been legalized in neighboring states.

You can't smoke anywhere but in your own home. And you're screwed if you ever drive while you're an avid enjoyer of marijuana. If you are found in possession on federal land, you could get your ski pass yanked.

They're pushing this thing into the caves, really.

PostPosted: Tue January 07, 2014 3:23 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

The risk of getting my ski pass yanked has always been a solid motivator for me when it comes to following the rules.

PostPosted: Tue January 07, 2014 4:53 pm 
Future Drummer

simple schoolboy wrote:

Yes. Booze is heavily regulated and taxed ridicuolously but people still obey the law. I'd be disappointed if this were too difficult for pot smokers. I think once pot is legal that black market pot sellers and consumers should be gone after especially hard. Hit sellers with tax evasion charges as well as illegal distribution.

Getting legal and then complaining about regulations and taxation is one thing, but getting it legal and then still black marketing is another.

PostPosted: Tue January 07, 2014 8:35 pm 
Broken Tamborine

surface the north wrote:
The risk of getting my ski pass yanked has always been a solid motivator for me when it comes to following the rules.

Look pal, I didn't make the rules.

PostPosted: Tue January 07, 2014 9:12 pm 
Rank This Poster

i dont think president christie is going to help the cause. he legalized medical marijuanna in nj, but adopted the most strict policies to limit its availability. then he made restrictions for dispensaries, and now there's only 2 open in the entire state. thats kinda what opened my eyes to the medical v recreational debate.

is it too naive to think legalization will kill the black market? assuming the laws have realistic limits on what u can grow and how much you can have on you, etc.

PostPosted: Wed January 08, 2014 5:47 am 
post-structuralist

warehouse wrote:
is it too naive to think legalization will kill the black market? assuming the laws have realistic limits on what u can grow and how much you can have on you, etc.

it killed bootleg alcohol enterprise...

really just depends on how accessible and affordable it becomes. people like convenience and while growing your own is an option, it's going to be a lot easier to go to your local pot store and buy it at a jacked up price.

people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Wed January 08, 2014 2:53 pm 
Broken Tamborine

It would smarter to buy legal, than just buy stuff off of the street anyways. Aphids, mildew, etc etc..

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2014 6:58 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

malice wrote:
warehouse wrote:

really just depends on how accessible and affordable it becomes. people like convenience and while growing your own is an option, it's going to be a lot easier to go to your local pot store and buy it at a jacked up price.

While the cover of legality has value, at some point it can be quantified. Maybe at 25% it's worth it. On the other hand, NYC's cigarette tax has proven to be so high as to make illicit cigarettes more common than legal ones. Either way, if we go the legalization route, as I hope we will, it behooves the powers that be to make sure compliance is cheap and straightforward.

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2014 5:16 pm 
post-structuralist

simple schoolboy wrote:
malice wrote:
warehouse wrote:

While the cover of legality has value, at some point it can be quantified. Maybe at 25% it's worth it. On the other hand, NYC's cigarette tax has proven to be so high as to make illicit cigarettes more common than legal ones. Either way, if we go the legalization route, as I hope we will, it behooves the powers that be to make sure compliance is cheap and straightforward.

cigarettes don't get you high or drunk, though.

what do people pay for a gram of cocaine? or whatever the modern equivalent of that is these days...

if weed is made legal on a large scale over the next 20-30 years, the market will even out as public opinion begins to turn (and old people begin to die, removing the paranoid contingent etc).

I still think as it becomes more socially acceptable there won't be much difference between buying liquor and buying weed.

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 2:25 am 
Broken Tamborine

malice wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
malice wrote:
warehouse wrote:

cigarettes don't get you high or drunk, though.

what do people pay for a gram of cocaine? or whatever the modern equivalent of that is these days...

if weed is made legal on a large scale over the next 20-30 years, the market will even out as public opinion begins to turn (and old people begin to die, removing the paranoid contingent etc).

I still think as it becomes more socially acceptable there won't be much difference between buying liquor and buying weed.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 2:46 am 
Technical Overlord

malice gets it. You can't fight the growing trend of public opinion.

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 1:31 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Whitey McTeeth wrote:
malice gets it. You can't fight the growing trend of public opinion.

Until they throw "dabs" into the equation.

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 2:50 pm 
The Master

mookie wrote:
Seriously though? I feel like the black market will quickly catch up in price. No tax on top of the sale is just as tasty of a deal for people as low priced taxed marijuana. Pretty sure that model is why there was a "wholesaler" tax of 15% built in.

Couldn't figure it out why earlier because the marijuana market is a vertical model. Technically there are no "wholesalers" only direct retail. Retailers have to grow more than half of their own product. I don't think there is honestly enough demand by local folks to buy - so we're looking at a tourist industry mostly and only as long as it hasn't been legalized in neighboring states.

You can't smoke anywhere but in your own home. And you're screwed if you ever drive while you're an avid enjoyer of marijuana. If you are found in possession on federal land, you could get your ski pass yanked.

This is funny to me. I really dont think it will be an issue considering people have been smoking a shit ton of pot on the hill since the beginning of the industry! Vail resorts has said they aren't going to hunt for it but if you are being blatant and doing it in the open or next to a ski patroller...then you are gone. Same goes for alcohol rules on the mountain as well. The driving laws are what is most frightening. I may be the only person in Colorado that doesn't smoke pot, but the driving while impaired laws are setup to make a shit ton of money for the state! So, good luck to my friends :\

January 1st, bright and early, a shit ton of signs on vail mountain were posted reminding people that it is sitll illegal to smoke in public. I thought that was pretty funny. There have always been signs for no alcohol too but ...

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 4:45 pm 
Future Drummer

Strat wrote:
mookie wrote:

I'm glad they put in the pot impaired driving laws. It sucks that the method they use is poor. Maybe this will prompt the discovery of a good and easy to use impairment standard like the blood alcohol level machines. Those suck because they have nothing to do with impairment and only to do with congestion of alcohol. Drivers have gotten used to them and adjusted accorsingly, I'm sure pot smokers can as well.

Legalize it and tax. I love it.

This is funny to me. I really dont think it will be an issue considering people have been smoking a shit ton of pot on the hill since the beginning of the industry! Vail resorts has said they aren't going to hunt for it but if you are being blatant and doing it in the open or next to a ski patroller...then you are gone. Same goes for alcohol rules on the mountain as well. The driving laws are what is most frightening. I may be the only person in Colorado that doesn't smoke pot, but the driving while impaired laws are setup to make a shit ton of money for the state! So, good luck to my friends :\

January 1st, bright and early, a shit ton of signs on vail mountain were posted reminding people that it is sitll illegal to smoke in public. I thought that was pretty funny. There have always been signs for no alcohol too but ...

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 4:51 pm 
Rank This Poster

how do they judge impairment for pot?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate