Switch to full style
Engage in discussions about news, politics, etc.
Post a reply

Re: Here comes the story of the hurricane

Thu September 05, 2019 11:04 pm

:facepalm:

Thu September 05, 2019 11:06 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
bada wrote:Image

This person is now in my town.

Real Life 7; Weather Girl 5.

Fri September 06, 2019 2:17 am

A friend of mine in Myrtle Beach didn't have great luck with Dorian

Fri September 06, 2019 2:47 am

Oof

Fri September 06, 2019 2:48 am

On the other hand it's a BMW

Fri September 06, 2019 3:17 am

Fri September 06, 2019 2:59 pm

ImageImage

Had one tree come down through our new fence we got from last year's hurricane, but no house damage.

Fri September 06, 2019 4:56 pm

That sucks, but should be a relatively easy fix. Did you or the fence up yourself?

Fri September 06, 2019 5:06 pm

No. It was installed last year after Florence blew away the old fence.

Fri September 06, 2019 5:14 pm

Ruddo I’m not being a smart ass. Genuine question. But why aren’t houses in areas prone to tornados and hurricane built with concrete block? My admittedly limited knowledge of this they’re all timber frame. I’m probably wrong but looking at the complete wipe out devastation in some of the footage it just doesn’t make sense to me

Fri September 06, 2019 5:32 pm

Sorry for your loss, Ruddo.

Fri September 06, 2019 5:42 pm

dimejinky99 wrote:Ruddo I’m not being a smart ass. Genuine question. But why aren’t houses in areas prone to tornados and hurricane built with concrete block? My admittedly limited knowledge of this they’re all timber frame. I’m probably wrong but looking at the complete wipe out devastation in some of the footage it just doesn’t make sense to me

Money.

Fri September 06, 2019 6:04 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:No. It was installed last year after Florence blew away the old fence.

fool me once . . .

Fri September 06, 2019 7:02 pm

Mickey wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:Ruddo I’m not being a smart ass. Genuine question. But why aren’t houses in areas prone to tornados and hurricane built with concrete block? My admittedly limited knowledge of this they’re all timber frame. I’m probably wrong but looking at the complete wipe out devastation in some of the footage it just doesn’t make sense to me

Money.

Yep, pretty much cost of building

Fri September 06, 2019 7:08 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Money.

Yep, pretty much cost of building

Growing up in Florida this was very clearly a classed thing. My quite middle class family lived in a full cinderblock house built in the 70s. The rich obviously lived in well-fortified buildings. Cheaper and newer housing stock was obviously not as durable--wood frame or whatever--and then the lower class houses would be the trailers etc. that make the news when disaster strikes. The one outlier would be nouveau-riche McMansions which I think are mostly wood-frame as well, despite costing as much or more than where we lived, but this has to do with appearances vs. reality.

Fri September 06, 2019 7:24 pm

You’ve also got a lot of these “historic” areas in southern towns full of early century bungalows and pier and beams that people want to live in. Developers will pour money into restoration and upgraded appliances so that living in these small but charming homes feels nice and modern.

Fri September 06, 2019 10:13 pm

Fri September 06, 2019 10:23 pm

Why is this Alabama thing even a thing?

Fri September 06, 2019 10:24 pm

washing machine wrote:Why is this Alabama thing even a thing?

Because Trump has sufficiently pwned the media, they'll now report his nonsense for three straight days instead of covering policy issues that matter.

Fri September 06, 2019 10:26 pm

:thumbsup:

I don’t know what I hate more in the Trump era...President Trump himself, or gotcha moments geared towards him.
Post a reply