Switch to full style
Engage in discussions about news, politics, etc.
Post a reply

Where don't you get your news from

Tue August 22, 2017 6:43 am

The Southern Poverty Law Council. They seem to be more about email lists and fundraising than any sense of proportion. Opposition to FGM = racist, apparently.

Apple is currently fundraising for them, so there's that.

Re: Where don't you get your news from

Tue August 22, 2017 7:41 am

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue August 22, 2017 4:12 pm

If you have a problem with the SPLC you're probably racist.

Tue August 22, 2017 4:12 pm

Also, they're not a news organization. They're an advocacy group.

Tue August 22, 2017 4:26 pm

I have mixed feelings about the SPLC. There's no doubt they have done fantastic work, but they have recently started putting feminist critics of Islam on their "extremist" listings. I have no time for the regressive left.

But, yeah, not a news organization.

Tue August 22, 2017 4:28 pm

I said probably. Not definitely.

Tue August 22, 2017 4:29 pm

Calm down.

Tue August 22, 2017 4:29 pm

I'm calm!

Tue August 22, 2017 5:15 pm

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue August 22, 2017 5:57 pm

BurtReynolds wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:Also, they're not a news organization. They're an advocacy group.

and an extremely profitable one, not to mention an "unimpeachable" authority that leftists and the media can appeal to while calling any criticism against them racist, despite their recent history.

They are not "unimpeachable." "The media" has called them out several times recently and debated their efficacy.

This is a great Politico piece on them. http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... ter-215312

Also, every advocacy group has an agenda. Influencing public opinion and policy is what they are there for.

Tue August 22, 2017 5:58 pm

oh look, people suspicious of the idea of white privilege also have a problem with the SPLC

Tue August 22, 2017 6:04 pm

Calm down.

Tue August 22, 2017 6:07 pm

I'm calm!

Tue August 22, 2017 6:09 pm

Tue August 22, 2017 6:09 pm

Tue August 22, 2017 6:27 pm

Tue August 22, 2017 6:41 pm

BurtReynolds wrote:
run2death wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:Also, they're not a news organization. They're an advocacy group.

and an extremely profitable one, not to mention an "unimpeachable" authority that leftists and the media can appeal to while calling any criticism against them racist, despite their recent history.

They are not "unimpeachable." "The media" has called them out several times recently and debated their efficacy.

This is a great Politico piece on them. http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... ter-215312

Also, every advocacy group has an agenda. Influencing public opinion and policy is what they are there for.

Speaking generally. Look no further than RM's resident media mogul Chud for proof of kneejerk reactions to criticisms.

I'm just in that mood today.

Tue August 22, 2017 8:48 pm

I get my news from McP

Wed August 23, 2017 3:27 am

BurtReynolds wrote:Give your money to the ACLU at least. They actually use it.

Eh, they used to be better about the 1A. They seem to get more income when they focus on social justice issues outside of well defined constitutional issues, which makes it understandable but disappointing.

Wed August 23, 2017 3:33 am

cutuphalfdead wrote:If you have a problem with the SPLC you're probably racist.

Are we going with, "no enemies to the left"?
Post a reply