The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Election 2020
PostPosted: Sat August 12, 2017 6:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Site Admin
 Profile

Joined: Wed December 12, 2012 10:33 pm
Posts: 5300
run2death wrote:
I have an old j-school buddy who worked in the marketing department there.

Sounds like ESPN wants to turn it into strictly a "sports science" and "advanced stats" site and leave all the election stuff behind.

Hypothetically that would mean saying goodbye to NS.

I was sorta shocked.

I believe 538 was a top 100 site (in the U.S.) around election time, but then the bottom fell out. Seems like they would have been prepared for that.
Yeah, I'm sure if Silver did indeed retain rights to the FiveThirtyEight name he'd just take his ball and go home, and most of his political colleagues would follow him. While I think they've done a good job tracking the popularity of Trump and Congress, most people don't give a shit about it on odd years.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Election 2020
PostPosted: Sat August 12, 2017 6:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 1328
Green Habit wrote:
run2death wrote:
I have an old j-school buddy who worked in the marketing department there.

Sounds like ESPN wants to turn it into strictly a "sports science" and "advanced stats" site and leave all the election stuff behind.

Hypothetically that would mean saying goodbye to NS.

I was sorta shocked.

I believe 538 was a top 100 site (in the U.S.) around election time, but then the bottom fell out. Seems like they would have been prepared for that.
Yeah, I'm sure if Silver did indeed retain rights to the FiveThirtyEight name he'd just take his ball and go home, and most of his political colleagues would follow him. While I think they've done a good job tracking the popularity of Trump and Congress, most people don't give a shit about it on odd years.


I just looked this up.

In like two and a half months, FiveThirtyEight fell from the top 100 to the 4,000s for internet traffic.

Even if you've got a base like ESPN, that's gotta be brutal.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Election 2020
PostPosted: Sat August 12, 2017 7:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 28865
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
I didn't even know ESPN owned 538.

_________________
dev wrote:
Love pans out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Election 2020
PostPosted: Sat August 12, 2017 9:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 27193
Location: don't PM me I don't have anything
run2death wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
run2death wrote:
I have an old j-school buddy who worked in the marketing department there.

Sounds like ESPN wants to turn it into strictly a "sports science" and "advanced stats" site and leave all the election stuff behind.

Hypothetically that would mean saying goodbye to NS.

I was sorta shocked.

I believe 538 was a top 100 site (in the U.S.) around election time, but then the bottom fell out. Seems like they would have been prepared for that.
Yeah, I'm sure if Silver did indeed retain rights to the FiveThirtyEight name he'd just take his ball and go home, and most of his political colleagues would follow him. While I think they've done a good job tracking the popularity of Trump and Congress, most people don't give a shit about it on odd years.


I just looked this up.

In like two and a half months, FiveThirtyEight fell from the top 100 to the 4,000s for internet traffic.

Even if you've got a base like ESPN, that's gotta be brutal.


That's not as steep a fall as I would've imagined.

_________________
tragabigzanda wrote:
Stop it, this is pissing me off.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Election 2020
PostPosted: Sat August 12, 2017 9:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 1328
theplatypus wrote:
run2death wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
run2death wrote:
I have an old j-school buddy who worked in the marketing department there.

Sounds like ESPN wants to turn it into strictly a "sports science" and "advanced stats" site and leave all the election stuff behind.

Hypothetically that would mean saying goodbye to NS.

I was sorta shocked.

I believe 538 was a top 100 site (in the U.S.) around election time, but then the bottom fell out. Seems like they would have been prepared for that.
Yeah, I'm sure if Silver did indeed retain rights to the FiveThirtyEight name he'd just take his ball and go home, and most of his political colleagues would follow him. While I think they've done a good job tracking the popularity of Trump and Congress, most people don't give a shit about it on odd years.


I just looked this up.

In like two and a half months, FiveThirtyEight fell from the top 100 to the 4,000s for internet traffic.

Even if you've got a base like ESPN, that's gotta be brutal.


That's not as steep a fall as I would've imagined.


But if you have the leverage and content that ESPN has, it's easy to see that those numbers would raise some eyebrows.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Election 2020
PostPosted: Sun August 13, 2017 9:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 28865
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
is Zuckerberg gonna run?

_________________
dev wrote:
Love pans out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Election 2020
PostPosted: Sun August 13, 2017 10:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 9931
Location: Mizzou
Is ESPN really surprised traffic is way down for Five thirty-eight this year? That's like starting an ice cream company and expecting their sales to stay steady throughout the winter.

Seems like a convenient excuse to cut costs if they are going in that direction.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Election 2020
PostPosted: Sun August 13, 2017 10:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 28865
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Is ESPN really surprised traffic is way down for Five thirty-eight this year? That's like starting an ice cream company and expecting their sales to stay steady throughout the winter.

Seems like a convenient excuse to cut costs if they are going in that direction.

woah no need to attack Trag like that.

_________________
dev wrote:
Love pans out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Election 2020
PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 4:54 am 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 9931
Location: Mizzou
BurtReynolds wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Is ESPN really surprised traffic is way down for Five thirty-eight this year? That's like starting an ice cream company and expecting their sales to stay steady throughout the winter.

Seems like a convenient excuse to cut costs if they are going in that direction.

woah no need to attack Trag like that.


I would never fire Trag in the winter. He said he may hire a baker to make donuts!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Election 2020
PostPosted: Fri August 25, 2017 1:52 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 1:53 pm
Posts: 11262
Location: in the wind
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/24/castro-julian-joaquin-texas-241946?lo=ap_c1

Quote:
Castro twins' political ambitions collide

Texas Democrats desperately want Rep. Joaquín Castro to run for governor next year — and they’re frustrated by what they see as his twin brother’s presidential ambitions getting in the way.

The congressman’s decision as to whether to run against Republican Gov. Greg Abbott is caught up in the Castro brothers’ unique mix of their deep personal connection and parallel political ambitions. Joaquín Castro is being hounded by Democrats to get in but is torn, according to people who’ve spoken with him, over whether to take on a popular incumbent with $40 million in the bank.

That’s where his identical twin brother, Julián Castro, comes in. The former Housing and Urban Development secretary and 2012 Democratic convention speaker recently launched a PAC and is spending the fall writing an autobiographical, campaign-style book, and has made his interest in 2020 clear.

The brothers serve as each other’s top strategists, and they’ve agreed that Julián’s next political move takes primacy for now. One worry is that a Joaquín loss for governor — it would be an uphill battle, at best, against Abbott — would make the Castros look like losers. The other is that if Joaquin happened to pull off an upset, it would distract attention from Julián, potentially complicating his path to the White House.


Pretty stupid of Joaquin if he doesn't run for Governor. As if former HUD Sec Julian has a chance at the Presidency! Give me a break. Joaquin, don't let your brother's crazy dreams get in the way of your own actually attainable goals.

_________________
Citizens for Boysenberry Jam


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Election 2020
PostPosted: Fri August 25, 2017 1:55 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 12296
Location: Cumberland, RI
I hope my twins have to someday decide who gets to run for President.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
A+


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Election 2020
PostPosted: Fri August 25, 2017 2:02 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 1:53 pm
Posts: 11262
Location: in the wind
Simple Torture wrote:
I hope my twins have to someday decide who gets to run for President.

At least teach them Spanish. These twins can't even do that! And they're Texan! And their parents were Chicano political activists!

_________________
Citizens for Boysenberry Jam


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 4/5, digster and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Mon November 20, 2017 7:16 pm