The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11092 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 555  Next

Vote Before You Can Vote!
Donald Trump (R) 44%  44%  [ 59 ]
Joe Biden (D) 41%  41%  [ 55 ]
Jacob Hornberger (L) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Howie Hawkins (G) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Other 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
COVID-19 12%  12%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 133
 Post subject: Re: Election 2020
PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 12:46 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Electronic voter machines are going to ensure that Mark Zuckerberg is president anyway. This is all just a show.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 1:57 am 
Mind Your Tanners

tragabigzanda wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Yeah the Democrats really need to make sure they don't fuck up and win by 3 million votes again.

They could win by 10M, but it wouldn’t matter if it doesnt include rural and rust belt voters.

They don't necessarily have to be rural. The majority of Americans didn't even vote in the last election and 80% of Americans live in metro areas.

Rust belt, on the other hand, is absolutely important.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 2:20 am 
Looks Like a Cat

tragabigzanda wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Yeah the Democrats really need to make sure they don't fuck up and win by 3 million votes again.

They could win by 10M, but it wouldn’t matter if it doesnt include rural and rust belt voters.

If only there was a way suppress their vote by rapidly enlarging the population in reliably blue areas.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 2:21 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

If only there was a way suppress their vote by rapidly enlarging the population in reliably blue areas.

God you are a real dipshit

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 5:22 am 
Production Police

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 1:20 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Siri, show me the wrong type of Democratic candidate for the upcoming election.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 1:54 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

That's about what it's come to, huh? I'm tougher than you, whoever can do more pushups is better

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 1:56 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
That's about what it's come to, huh? I'm tougher than you, whoever can do more pushups is better

Warren still talks policy.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 5:35 pm 
Production Police

jfc

Jack Dorsey maxes out donations to Tulsi Gabbard presidential bid

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2019 4:30 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I almost put this in the AOC thread, as it explains much of the Democratic infighting in the House, and also demonstrates the sources/impacts of the messaging philosophy she describes in the interview snippet I posted there.
Quote:
The basic reality here is that one of the key pillars of the Democratic majority consists in the 43 seats that Democrats flipped from GOP control in 2018. Those 43 districts are way more conservative on average than the remaining 192 Democratic-held seats are.

You can use the Cook Partisan Voter Index to get a sense of this. The PVI calculates the partisan lean of a given district, relative to the country as a whole, by averaging together the differences between the presidential vote breakdown in the district — vs. the nation as a whole — in the past two elections.

Because Democrats won the majority by picking up lots of districts Trump carried in 2016, and lots of moderate, suburban and even a few rural districts, the PVI in most of those 43 districts tilts Republican. That is, those districts voted more Republican than the nation as a whole.

We’re talking about districts — in places such as southern Virginia and southwestern Pennsylvania and upstate New York and southern New Jersey and even Kansas and Oklahoma — that are +3, +4, +5, +6 or even more Republican-leaning than the country.

What’s the upshot? According to calculations Wasserman shared with me, the average PVI of all 43 of those Democratic-held districts is R+2, meaning on average they tilt two points more Republican-leaning than the country.

By contrast, Wasserman tells me, the remaining 192 Dem-controlled districts have an average PVI of D+16, meaning on average they’re very Democratic-leaning. That striking disparity is the result of structural factors, such as heavy concentrations of Democratic voters due to geographic sorting.

Why are the 43 districts that Democrats flipped so much more Republican-leaning? One reason, Wasserman points out, is that the median House district overall is five points more Republican-leaning than the nation as a whole, due to gerrymandering and structural factors (again like geographic sorting). This means the seats that push Democrats into the majority are going to lean Republican.

All this explains another phenomenon we’re seeing: The high profile of the most progressive members appears to be having at least as much influence on what the Democratic presidential candidates are doing as on what the House is doing. By activating the base through social media and other means, progressive members are creating incentives for the presidential candidates to embrace more progressive policies, even as the moderate House bloc remains resistant.

The reason for this, Wasserman points out, is that much of the Democratic presidential primary fight is fought out on the turf of those 192 districts, which again are far more Democratic-leaning. “Those districts get a lot more delegates in the Democratic nomination fight,” Wasserman says.

As all these numbers show, we’re dealing with some very deep structural tensions here that will continue to roil House Democrats. And they aren’t going away anytime soon.

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2019 4:40 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

I'd watch.

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2019 5:09 pm 
Rank This Poster

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/19/upsh ... -upshotnyt

Quote:
But Mr. Trump’s approval rating has been stable even after seemingly big missteps. And if it improves by a modest amount — not unusual for incumbents with a strong economy — he could have a distinct chance to win re-election while losing the popular vote by more than he did in 2016, when he lost it by 2.1 percentage points.

The president’s relative advantage in the Electoral College could grow even further in a high-turnout election, which could pad Democratic margins nationwide while doing little to help them in the Northern battleground states.

It is even possible that Mr. Trump could win while losing the national vote by as much as five percentage points.

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2019 5:37 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

digster wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/19/upshot/trump-electoral-college-edge-.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-upshotnyt

Quote:
But Mr. Trump’s approval rating has been stable even after seemingly big missteps. And if it improves by a modest amount — not unusual for incumbents with a strong economy — he could have a distinct chance to win re-election while losing the popular vote by more than he did in 2016, when he lost it by 2.1 percentage points.

The president’s relative advantage in the Electoral College could grow even further in a high-turnout election, which could pad Democratic margins nationwide while doing little to help them in the Northern battleground states.

It is even possible that Mr. Trump could win while losing the national vote by as much as five percentage points.

I just heard McP's head explode... like a 50 foot Roman, yeah.

Please dont make me explain.

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2019 5:52 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

My dude is currently underwater and losing a generic ballot by 4 points in Georgia, and is doing even worse than that in North Carolina. Those “just the right conditions” electoral wins from landslide popular vote losses aren’t reasons to panic now, they’re just examples of why we should end the electoral college later.

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2019 6:26 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

CNN News Brief: McP calls Trump "My Dude"

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2019 8:08 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Quote:
"He's been running for president for 721 days. He's spent nearly $19 million as a 2020 candidate since 2017. He's loaned over $11 million of his own money to his campaign this year. He's visited all of Iowa's 99 counties already ... And it's all been for nothing."

Yeah I couldn't have picked him out of a lineup and he's been doing it for almost two years?

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2019 10:32 pm 
Site Admin

digster wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/19/upshot/trump-electoral-college-edge-.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-upshotnyt

Quote:

Here's how it gets even worse than this:
--Dems gain ground in the House, and even pick up a couple Senate seats, but not enough to take it.
--The Dem presidential candidate continues to run up the score in deep blue states, and makes gains in TX/GA/NC/AZ but doesn't win any of those states. As a result, the Dem candidate gets this hypothesized five point popular vote win.
--Trump loses MI, PA, and the lone EV vote in Maine, but holds all his other states from 2016. The electoral vote result would be...269-269.
--The House, despite having a 40+ Dem advantage, ends up with a 26-24 state delegation in favor of the GOP. Those 26 delegations re-elect Trump.

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2019 1:23 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Yeah, I have a bad feeling about this

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2019 1:57 am 
Rank This Poster

The problem is that we're in a situation that is inherently unsustainable over the long term, but it's a situation that's unchangeable, as doing so would require the consent of a party that is solely the beneficiary of those structural inefficiencies.

PostPosted: Sat July 20, 2019 2:06 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Dissolve the federal government and let the states rule themselves.

It's the only way.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11092 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 555  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate