The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11092 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 551, 552, 553, 554, 555  Next

Vote Before You Can Vote!
Donald Trump (R) 44%  44%  [ 59 ]
Joe Biden (D) 41%  41%  [ 55 ]
Jacob Hornberger (L) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Howie Hawkins (G) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Other 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
COVID-19 12%  12%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 133
 Post subject: Re: Election 2020
PostPosted: Fri February 05, 2021 8:35 pm 
The Master

Bi_3 wrote:
Usually I condemn this stuff for unprofessionalism but LOL:

PostPosted: Fri February 05, 2021 9:30 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Thu March 11, 2021 11:17 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Simple Torture wrote:
One can only hope that the history books will call this the "Weesa getting PS5s!" election.

PostPosted: Fri March 12, 2021 3:33 am 
Future Drummer

The stimulus just paid for the appliances for a new kitchen. We have 3 kids, getting $7k. Our 2019 return was just under the cutoff. So we are people who “didn’t need it” but also people who will use the money as they wanted us to - by spending it.

I do wonder if America is creating a bubble here. The gov’t isn’t always gonna have a crisis to point at to justify the spending. Can the private sector sustain this in a year or two?

Either way, it’s not the worst time to be selling your house or doing a remodel.

PostPosted: Fri March 12, 2021 4:08 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Rob wrote:
The stimulus just paid for the appliances for a new kitchen. We have 3 kids, getting $7k. Our 2019 return was just under the cutoff. So we are people who “didn’t need it” but also people who will use the money as they wanted us to - by spending it.

I do wonder if America is creating a bubble here. The gov’t isn’t always gonna have a crisis to point at to justify the spending. Can the private sector sustain this in a year or two?

Either way, it’s not the worst time to be selling your house or doing a remodel.

Honest question: Would you have bought the appliances if there was no stimmy check coming?

PostPosted: Fri March 12, 2021 5:22 pm 
Future Drummer

4/5 wrote:
Rob wrote:

Honest question: Would you have bought the appliances if there was no stimmy check coming?

I did opt for an induction cooktop that I may have thought twice about otherwise, but yes, we still would have bought the appliances. It was good timing for us since we're beginning a project anyway, but I'm just saying most of this money will probably be spent on stuff. Isn't that what they want us to do?

PostPosted: Fri March 12, 2021 5:30 pm 
Production Police

Daaaamn I’ve been wanting an induction stove for a while. What model you get?

PostPosted: Fri March 12, 2021 6:16 pm 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:

GE Profile 30" induction, plus the oven is also an air fryer I guess.

https://www.geappliances.com/appliance/GE-Profile-30-Smart-Slide-In-Fingerprint-Resistant-Front-Control-Induction-and-Convection-Range-with-No-Preheat-Air-Fry-PHS930YPFS

PostPosted: Fri March 12, 2021 6:39 pm 

Rob wrote:
4/5 wrote:
Rob wrote:

I did opt for an induction cooktop that I may have thought twice about otherwise, but yes, we still would have bought the appliances. It was good timing for us since we're beginning a project anyway, but I'm just saying most of this money will probably be spent on stuff. Isn't that what they want us to do?

When economists attempt to measure the impact of this spending that would have taken place without the stimulus won't count as part of its impact. The idea (if this were supposed to be stimulative, which I don't believe) is that people would spend money that they wouldn't have spent otherwise, which leads to a multiplier effect of other spending that takes place only because of the initial stimulus spending. Ftr I'm not being critical. My wife and I are in the same boat, we're going to put in new flooring, which we would have done whether we got any money or not. So our current spending isn't increasing at all, it just makes it easier for us to spend that money.

PostPosted: Fri March 12, 2021 6:49 pm 
The Master

4/5 wrote:
Rob wrote:
4/5 wrote:
Rob wrote:

When economists attempt to measure the impact of this spending that would have taken place without the stimulus won't count as part of its impact. The idea (if this were supposed to be stimulative, which I don't believe) is that people would spend money that they wouldn't have spent otherwise, which leads to a multiplier effect of other spending that takes place only because of the initial stimulus spending. Ftr I'm not being critical. My wife and I are in the same boat, we're going to put in new flooring, which we would have done whether we got any money or not. So our current spending isn't increasing at all, it just makes it easier for us to spend that money.

I’d say the point is it’s more psychological than an expectation that everyone will go out and spend their check. Mom and Dad are more likely to feel like they can get a pizza on Friday night if Uncle Sam drops several thousand in their laps. On a mass scale, that’s very stimulative. Americans love to spend money already; make em feel like they still can.

PostPosted: Fri March 12, 2021 7:02 pm 

spike wrote:
I’d say the point is it’s more psychological than an expectation that everyone will go out and spend their check. Mom and Dad are more likely to feel like they can get a pizza on Friday night if Uncle Sam drops several thousand in their laps. On a mass scale, that’s very stimulative. Americans love to spend money already; make em feel like they still can.

I hear what you're saying, and again this comes down to whether this spending is supposed to be truly stimulative, to which I say it isn't as I've previously argued. If it is, though, the bottom line is you need people to spend more money than they would have in the absence of the stimulus. Whether it's through a "we're rich, let's get pizza tonight!" or a vacation (okay maybe not a vacation this time) or renovation or whatever, it needs to increase your spending for there to be any multiplier effect stimulus. So, sure it might start with the psychological, but it has to get spent if it's going to stimulate economy wide spending, which is the goal of a stimulus policy.

PostPosted: Fri March 12, 2021 7:11 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

It seems to me like it’s pretty commonly accepted that the end of the pandemic alone will lead to an upswing in consumer spending. And the stated purpose of the stimulus check has been to provide a cash infusion to families that have suffered serious economic setbacks due to the pandemic...we’re probably not talking about people who are currently considering redoing their kitchen, buying new appliances, etc.

The rest of us are just getting checks because hyper-targeted, swiftly-delivered relief is too complicated a task and too ugly a political sell, imo

PostPosted: Fri March 12, 2021 7:18 pm 

McParadigm wrote:
It seems to me like it’s pretty commonly accepted that the end of the pandemic alone will lead to an upswing in consumer spending. And the stated purpose of the stimulus check has been to provide a cash infusion to families that have suffered serious economic setbacks due to the pandemic...we’re probably not talking about people who are currently considering redoing their kitchen, buying new appliances, etc.

The rest of us are just getting checks because hyper-targeted, swiftly-delivered relief is too complicated a task and too ugly a political sell, imo

I agree, that's why I would call this a relief bill and not a stimulus. And I agree this is just about politics. Needs-based aid doesn't sell as well as this. So it goes.

PostPosted: Fri March 12, 2021 7:51 pm 
The Master

it is called a relief bill

and yeah, the term stimulus check is probably a bit misleading

PostPosted: Fri March 12, 2021 7:55 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

It's polishing the brass on the titanic.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri March 12, 2021 8:57 pm 
Production Police

Rob wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

GE Profile 30" induction, plus the oven is also an air fryer I guess.

https://www.geappliances.com/appliance/GE-Profile-30-Smart-Slide-In-Fingerprint-Resistant-Front-Control-Induction-and-Convection-Range-with-No-Preheat-Air-Fry-PHS930YPFS

Sexy. Would you be willing to share a brief review in the kitchen gadgets thread once you've spent some time with it?

PostPosted: Sat March 13, 2021 1:05 am 
Major Dude

We never even got the last check.

PostPosted: Sat March 13, 2021 1:09 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

wease wrote:
We never even got the last check.

I dont think I did either.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat March 13, 2021 3:03 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

The $600? Probably b/c Biden reads RM.

PostPosted: Sat March 13, 2021 3:58 am 
Future Drummer

McParadigm wrote:

:wave: I will definitely be able to spend more money in the coming weeks because of this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11092 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 551, 552, 553, 554, 555  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate