The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1052 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: Israel & Palestine
PostPosted: Fri February 16, 2024 2:11 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Israel also has complete control of the Jordan valley, and has considered annexing it.

PostPosted: Sat February 17, 2024 1:58 am 
Future Drummer

This does not split Israel in two. The corridor can be built in ways that both sides can deal with. This doesn’t really even change much, except who is in charge. I haven’t heard talk of a 3 state solution in any way to suggest it’s a possibility. This two state solution has been the goal for decades and we now have a flashpoint to give it urgency.

PostPosted: Sat February 17, 2024 2:05 am 
Future Drummer

There are different configurations, many maps have been drawn, but that’s a general idea. No deal either way is going to be popular, but plans like the above have support at high levels on both sides, in the US and in Europe. And really, the US can absolutely nudge Israel toward this, and has begun to already.

PostPosted: Mon February 19, 2024 4:06 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2024 5:43 am 
Future Drummer

What is the argument against Egypt that would make them comparable to Israel in this? I assume that wall exists because they know there’s 2 million people on the other side who are in pretty rough shape, and have been a long time. And they haven’t seemed to wanna help, ever, really. But it’s not them who caused this. And there may be an answer to this that I don’t know, but why would Israel even allow/want Egypt to do more (or anything) on the ground IN Gaza? The only thing Israel would really want from them is to take the Palestinians off their hands. I say that in the sense that it solves a problem, albeit in a terrible way. That’s not going to happen, and shouldn’t. I’m not sure what their role is supposed to be. People say give more aid, manage it better at the crossing, but they don’t control who is on the other side of those gates, or what Israel does or doesn’t allow.

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2024 4:10 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2024 4:12 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Not to take away from that info, but that tweet just says the same thing 4 different times.

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2024 4:52 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Rob wrote:
What is the argument against Egypt that would make them comparable to Israel in this? I assume that wall exists because they know there’s 2 million people on the other side who are in pretty rough shape, and have been a long time. And they haven’t seemed to wanna help, ever, really. But it’s not them who caused this. And there may be an answer to this that I don’t know, but why would Israel even allow/want Egypt to do more (or anything) on the ground IN Gaza? The only thing Israel would really want from them is to take the Palestinians off their hands. I say that in the sense that it solves a problem, albeit in a terrible way. That’s not going to happen, and shouldn’t. I’m not sure what their role is supposed to be. People say give more aid, manage it better at the crossing, but they don’t control who is on the other side of those gates, or what Israel does or doesn’t allow.

Egypt has been burned in the past by Palestinian terrorists just like Israel has been. As a result, they coordinate with Israel on security matters around Gaza and in the broader Sinai peninsula. Here's one example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Sinai_bombings

The point of the tweet was to show there is a Muslim majority country with the capacity to address the tragedy occurring in Gaza, but instead is choosing to build more fortified barriers to prevent refugees feeling the violence from entering their country despite the fact that the Sinai would be the safest holding zone for refugees from Gaza. And no one seems to be pressuring them to change that stance even though the lives of tens of thousands of Palestinians depends on it. Why not?

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2024 5:43 pm 
Future Drummer

Bi_3 wrote:
Rob wrote:

Egypt has been burned in the past by Palestinian terrorists just like Israel has been. As a result, they coordinate with Israel on security matters around Gaza and in the broader Sinai peninsula. Here's one example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Sinai_bombings

The point of the tweet was to show there is a Muslim majority country with the capacity to address the tragedy occurring in Gaza, but instead is choosing to build more fortified barriers to prevent refugees feeling the violence from entering their country despite the fact that the Sinai would be the safest holding zone for refugees from Gaza. And no one seems to be pressuring them to change that stance even though the lives of tens of thousands of Palestinians depends on it. Why not?

I don’t know the actual answer to that, but the more cynical side of me believes Palestinians have basically been treated like pawns by all the countries in the region, Arab and Jewish. But only one country truly owns the devastation happening now, and I have never really believed any Arab country would step in to help Palestinians if the situation was making Israel look horrible. And even without that angle, no one wants to be responsible for two million desperate refugees. It’s hard. Israel needs to be held responsible for the last 15 years, because that’s about when they abandoned any real effort for peace, and they have all the power between the Israelis and Palestinians.

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2024 11:34 pm 
Future Drummer

To clarify, by “be held responsible” I’m obviously not talking about any Hamas action during these years. I mean they are the one who made sure this area was cutoff almost entirely, they were an occupying force for a long time, and then just left… and at this point it’s an open secret that Netanyahu and his admin kept the PA weak and used Hamas to the Admin’s advantage. They made a mess. And they are going to have to give up more than they claim they’re willing to give up - like almost all settlements and allowing the coast of Gaza to be open to Gaza - basic things which the current admin has not agreed to and most likely won’t.

PostPosted: Wed February 21, 2024 10:02 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Wed February 21, 2024 10:03 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

That's our foreign minister. Don't agree with him about everything, and don't vote for his party. But I do agree that we need enhanced humanitarian action. Now.

PostPosted: Fri February 23, 2024 9:30 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Or Hamas could surrender and free the hostages. :arrow:

PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2024 2:48 pm 

Just don’t even know what to say

Content warning. It’s extremely distressing.

PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2024 4:06 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

in the whole world of setting yourself on fire it has done nothing but let people know you died in perhaps the most painful way possible and what you are protesting will not change

PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2024 4:33 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Peeps wrote:
in the whole world of setting yourself on fire it has done nothing but let people know you died in perhaps the most painful way possible and what you are protesting will not change

Also a good description of posting

PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2024 6:29 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2024 7:18 pm 

McParadigm wrote:
Peeps wrote:

Well better this than the nothing it gets in media especially in the US.

I’m years pointing all this out on here and getting called all sorts of names for it.
Those people are gone, conveniently, and this is all still happening.
So they’re aware now ane don’t wanna face up to it and so are you.

PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2024 8:38 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

dimejinky99 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Peeps wrote:

Well better this than the nothing it gets in media especially in the US.

I’m years pointing all this out on here and getting called all sorts of names for it.
Those people are gone, conveniently, and this is all still happening.
So they’re aware now ane don’t wanna face up to it and so are you.

i get that theres shit going on over there but i sure as shit aint lighting myself on fire to bring attention to it

PostPosted: Fri March 01, 2024 12:36 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Over 30,000 Palestinians have now been murdered by Israel.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1052 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 53  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate