The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 124  Next
 Post subject: Re: Transgender Rights
PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2023 4:40 am 
She / Her

especially when one draws a giant ring around the scary remotely-possible side effects

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2023 4:43 am 
She / Her

epilogue wrote:
Always love when the words "The Truth About" appear in an opinion piece.

"look! see? SEE? SEE WHAT THE TRANSES AREN'T TELLING YOU???"

literally all the meds I take for all of my medical issues list "death" as a side effect

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2023 1:56 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Ms Harmless wrote:
epilogue wrote:

literally all the meds I take for all of my medical issues list "death" as a side effect

sadly most drugs do.

love taking medication for say acne. list of side effects, upset stomach, ulcers, herpes, blindness and may cause slight paralysis in the left side of your body. also death

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2023 2:06 pm 
Future Drummer

peeps do you have acne

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2023 2:11 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

this is not a thread for acne shaming people, bart. take that to the what movies are you watching thread

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2023 3:12 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

bart wrote:
peeps do you have acne

i get a rare pimple in odd places, the knuckle on my thumb or on the creese of my elbow.

that was more an example

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2023 3:22 pm 
The Master

tree_ wrote:
this is not a thread for acne shaming people, bart. take that to the what movies are you watching thread

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2023 4:01 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Peeps wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
epilogue wrote:

sadly most drugs do.

love taking medication for say acne. list of side effects, upset stomach, ulcers, herpes, blindness and may cause slight paralysis in the left side of your body. also death

Most drugs are approved via FDA review against a specific use case prior to being given to children

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2023 4:06 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

have any of you watched that "what is a woman?" documentary? i did the other day.. it was promoted by musk and free on twitter

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2023 6:01 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
After Norway this week nixed medical transition for kids more evidence is published here.

WSJ: The Truth About ‘Puberty Blockers’: The FDA hasn’t approved them for gender dysphoria, and their effects are serious and permanent.

not my highlights but:

So, I have thoughts.

The term "adverse events" seems to be specifically chosen because it implies that none of these 10,000 reports have been specifically linked to the drug. Looks like an investigation is on-going. Without any information about how many people took this drug, when, and for how long, and when their symptoms started, it doesn't mean a lot. Some, probably most, of those are going to be completely unrelated. Some of those are going to be soreness at the site of injection. Also seems like the FDA hasn't issued any statements warning that this drug be stopped for children while they investigate, and they surely have that power. Maybe, in the end, they'll recommend calcium supplements when taking this drug or something else to mitigate the side effects. Sometimes, things are that simple. Have you ever taken an antibiotic and been told to take it with yogurt so you don't shit the bed?

As for the psychiatric problems, that's in there. As well as instructions to screen for a history of psychatric problems, seizures, etc. My kid went on Prozac at one point. That carries an increased risk of suicidal ideation. That doesn't mean you don't give the kid the drug he needs. That means you screen him carefully, set him up with a counselor (something I bet a lot of trans kids already have), and you watch their behavior and interactions closely.

Brain swelling looks super rare. There are also instructions for screening for that as well. It's kind of like when I took a drug for a fungus on my foot. That particular drug could fuck up your kidneys pretty seriously, so my doctor ran some tests on my kidneys and then sent me home with a long list of symptoms to watch for. A similar list of stuff is on the NIH website for use of Lupron in children.

As of yet, there are no calls for legislatures to ban the use of Prozac, fungicide, or for the matter, tylenol, which can also cause liver damage and death. But then, none of those make it slightly easier for boys to become girls, so they aren't as scary to your average bigot.

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/m ... d942ae6e81
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/wom ... h-problems

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2023 6:37 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
Peeps wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
epilogue wrote:

sadly most drugs do.

Most drugs are approved via FDA review against a specific use case prior to being given to children

OLDU is in fact so ordinary that more than 40% of children discharged from pediatric hospital inpatient stays were given or are subsequently prescribed at least one off-label use medication. Some studies estimate that 1 in 5 of all prescriptions in the US is an OLDU prescription (the number is higher for intensive care).

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2023 7:09 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Peeps wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
epilogue wrote:

sadly most drugs do.

OLDU is in fact so ordinary that more than 40% of children discharged from pediatric hospital inpatient stays were given or are subsequently prescribed at least one off-label use medication. Some studies estimate that 1 in 5 of all prescriptions in the US is an OLDU prescription (the number is higher for intensive care).

The most commonly prescribed off-label use drugs... the drugs that drive your facts there... are antihistamines, anti-nausea, and ADHD meds, which are not at all similar to drugs like Lupron.

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2023 7:57 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2023 8:01 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Peeps wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
epilogue wrote:

sadly most drugs do.

The most commonly prescribed off-label use drugs... the drugs that drive your facts there... are antihistamines, anti-nausea, and ADHD meds, which are not at all similar to drugs like Lupron.

I’ve been supporting and training physician use of Cerner and Epic in large hospitals for a decade now, and I promise you that OLDU is ordinary.

Tricyclic antidepressants never had FDA approval for treatment of neuropathic pain in all of the many years that they were the principle go-to first line treatment for it. Alendronate is an osteoporosis drug that is often used in response to hypercalcemia of a malignancy. Isoflurane is a potent anesthetic that is sometimes administered for seizures. Gabapentin, conversely, is an anticonvulsant that is used in fibromyalgia treatments. It’s even used sometimes for hiccups. There are antidepressants that are prescribed to alleviate irritable bowel syndrome in severe cases. Etc. etc.

The list is endless, and it’s ordinary as hell. Why do you think no one tries to regulate it?

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2023 8:59 pm 
mXn

B wrote:
Bammer wrote:
So it’s a loose definition and someone can be one or the other depending on the situation. Do I understand correctly?

You understand it as well as I do, I guess.

What a time to be alive

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2023 9:25 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Peeps wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
epilogue wrote:

sadly most drugs do.

I’ve been supporting and training physician use of Cerner and Epic in large hospitals for a decade now, and I promise you that OLDU is ordinary.

Tricyclic antidepressants never had FDA approval for treatment of neuropathic pain in all of the many years that they were the principle go-to first line treatment for it. Alendronate is an osteoporosis drug that is often used in response to hypercalcemia of a malignancy. Isoflurane is a potent anesthetic that is sometimes administered for seizures. Gabapentin, conversely, is an anticonvulsant that is used in fibromyalgia treatments. It’s even used sometimes for hiccups. There are antidepressants that are prescribed to alleviate irritable bowel syndrome in severe cases. Etc. etc.

The list is endless, and it’s ordinary as hell. Why do you think no one tries to regulate it?

Because drug companies are rich as shit, compliance with regulation eats into profit, and there is a revolving door between them and the FDA and congress?

It endless and irrelevant. You are attempting to change the discussion to create the impression off label use of Lupron is ok because off label use of other drugs is common, and even if I believed you that any of this was ‘common’ it doesn’t make it safe, and I don’t believe you that any of that is in a manner that is “ordinary as hell” given to healthy children for years like Lupron is.

PostPosted: Fri June 09, 2023 12:49 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Definitely don't believe the people that have knowledge and experience with this stuff. They are the wrong people to trust. Definitely don't believe any trans person. They are all out to decieve you and turn you and your children queer.

Please only believe Gerald Posner's opinion. Only Gerald can save us.

PostPosted: Fri June 09, 2023 5:28 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Off label use is the pressure release valve for the FDA making it impossible to get new drugs to market without multi billion dollar budgets.

Some say that Tylenol and Aspirin would not be approved today, I don't think that's necessarily true. If they had the budget of Vioxx they would. The FDA approval process is borderline useless.

What's kinda interesting is that off label use of Ivermectin was heavily restricted at the pharmacy level during COVID (with rather limited adverse effects) but shit yeah off label drugs that will virtually guarantee osteoporosis, go get em.

PostPosted: Fri June 09, 2023 5:32 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

spike wrote:
tree_ wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri June 09, 2023 11:05 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

simple schoolboy wrote:
What's kinda interesting is that off label use of Ivermectin was heavily restricted at the pharmacy level during COVID (with rather limited adverse effects) but shit yeah off label drugs that will virtually guarantee osteoporosis, go get em.

Off label use of a medication to do what it's designed to do is different that off label use for a made up reason.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 124  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate