The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Education Topik
PostPosted: Sun February 05, 2023 1:16 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

It's racially motivated to have two black boys beat up a black girl?

Or is she white?

PostPosted: Sun February 05, 2023 1:40 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

No. No one said that.

(Also, I don't know. I haven't watched the video.)

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2023 9:06 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

To Increase Equity, School Districts Eliminate Honors Classes:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/to-increase-equity-school-districts-eliminate-honors-classes-d5985dee

----

Stunning parents would stand for this, even my uber-proggle district would never try this. I kinda wonder if this is being forced by not having honors level teachers.

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2023 11:14 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Around here, the honors classes are just classes of average kids with whiny parents. I wouldn't give a shit if they scrapped 'em.

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2023 11:22 pm 
The Master

We’re thinking pretty seriously about private school for our kid all the way through graduation. This stuff is getting insane. Our local high school district just cut the gifted & talented program DESPITE an exploding tax base due to Covid inflows.

I get the argument “Trag if you pull your kid from public school then their funding decreases and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy!” I just don’t care any more and am basically waiting for my wife to catch up. I don’t view my kid as a testing ground for my particular ideologies about the world; my objective responsibility is to support her getting the best education we can provide her, and I just don’t see it happening in our local public schools any more. I may feel different if this were, say, NYC or something.

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2023 11:56 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

B wrote:
Around here, the honors classes are just classes of average kids with whiny parents. I wouldn't give a shit if they scrapped 'em.

of course you wouldn't.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat February 18, 2023 12:49 am 
Mind Your Tanners

This is a solution in search of a problem.

PostPosted: Sat February 18, 2023 1:00 am 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
We’re thinking pretty seriously about private school for our kid all the way through graduation. This stuff is getting insane. Our local high school district just cut the gifted & talented program DESPITE an exploding tax base due to Covid inflows.

I get the argument “Trag if you pull your kid from public school then their funding decreases and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy!” I just don’t care any more and am basically waiting for my wife to catch up. I don’t view my kid as a testing ground for my particular ideologies about the world; my objective responsibility is to support her getting the best education we can provide her, and I just don’t see it happening in our local public schools any more. I may feel different if this were, say, NYC or something.

My daughter is a senior at a private high school. She went private from pre school to now her last year. My wife mostly wanted it because it was “better” and I balked at the costs. But now I believe it was a good idea.

PostPosted: Sat February 18, 2023 1:20 am 
The Master

blueviper wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

My daughter is a senior at a private high school. She went private from pre school to now her last year. My wife mostly wanted it because it was “better” and I balked at the costs. But now I believe it was a good idea.

:thumbsup: I was a public school kid, and both my grandfather and sister were/are public school teachers. My wife went to private school. Life is funny, grass is greener, etc...

Is your girl's school secular or religious? We're opposed to the latter, but the former is in short supply in our neck of the woods. I'm less concerned with artistic/cultural exposure in the classroom, because we can supplement that ourselves as needed. I'm more concerned with exposure to entrepreneurship, and more importantly, a mentor pool that is well-paid and not bogged down in overfull classrooms and administration micromanaging.

PostPosted: Sat February 18, 2023 1:59 am 
Mind Your Tanners

tragabigzanda wrote:
blueviper wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

:thumbsup: I was a public school kid, and both my grandfather and sister were/are public school teachers. My wife went to private school. Life is funny, grass is greener, etc...

Is your girl's school secular or religious? We're opposed to the latter, but the former is in short supply in our neck of the woods. I'm less concerned with artistic/cultural exposure in the classroom, because we can supplement that ourselves as needed. I'm more concerned with exposure to entrepreneurship, and more importantly, a mentor pool that is well-paid and not bogged down in overfull classrooms and administration micromanaging.

Private school teachers are paid less than public school teachers, trag.

PostPosted: Sat February 18, 2023 2:31 am 
The Master

elliseamos wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
blueviper wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Very often the case, yeah. But not always. And the teacher:student ratio and curriculum at least have the capacity to be significantly better (though not always the case)

PostPosted: Sat February 18, 2023 2:39 am 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:

i'd always been a public school champion as well, but we're going the private route for the same reasons. hard to argue with the teacher to student ratio difference, as you mentioned.

PostPosted: Sat February 18, 2023 2:42 am 
The Master

elliseamos wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
blueviper wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

but are they unionized

PostPosted: Sat February 18, 2023 2:52 am 
The Master

spike wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

i'd always been a public school champion as well, but we're going the private route for the same reasons. hard to argue with the teacher to student ratio difference, as you mentioned.

What's the public system like in Chicago? Are there lots of magnet schools like NYC?

PostPosted: Sat February 18, 2023 2:54 am 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
spike wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

What's the public system like in Chicago? Are there lots of magnet schools like NYC?

yes

PostPosted: Sat February 18, 2023 2:54 am 
The Master

spike wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
spike wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

yes

still no bueno though? Why does NYC get it relatively right I wonder?

PostPosted: Sat February 18, 2023 3:00 am 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
spike wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
spike wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

yes

i suppose i should say we're keeping our options open. chicago public schools don't currently offer 3K, so we're going private for that. down the road, we could always pivot to public again.

we do have some friends that, at the time, lived downtown and were in a highly rated district and excited to send their kids. then things were reorg'd and they weren't anymore, so they decided to go private and love it. so there's stuff like that happening in the big messy city too.

PostPosted: Sat February 18, 2023 3:53 am 
mXn

spike wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
spike wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
spike wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

yes

i suppose i should say we're keeping our options open. chicago public schools don't currently offer 3K, so we're going private for that. down the road, we could always pivot to public again.

we do have some friends that, at the time, lived downtown and were in a highly rated district and excited to send their kids. then things were reorg'd and they weren't anymore, so they decided to go private and love it. so there's stuff like that happening in the big messy city too.

Seattle SD is fucking terrible. Mainly the suburban SD’s are great (on the “Eastside” which is Mercer Island, Bellevue, Issaquah, Kirkland, Redmond). But the big city - Seattle - terrible.

PostPosted: Sat February 18, 2023 3:54 am 
Mind Your Tanners

tragabigzanda wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
blueviper wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Very often the case, yeah. But not always. And the teacher:student ratio and curriculum at least have the capacity to be significantly better (though not always the case)

First and foremost, do what you want.
Second and last, your two reasons for doing it both carry the "but not always."

PostPosted: Sat February 18, 2023 3:56 am 
The Master

Bammer wrote:
spike wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
spike wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
spike wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

yes

Seattle SD is fucking terrible. Mainly the suburban SD’s are great (on the “Eastside” which is Mercer Island, Bellevue, Issaquah, Kirkland, Redmond). But the big city - Seattle - terrible.

Seems like success of urban public school programming is an outcome of:

1. State control vs. local control
2. Parental engagement

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 29  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate