The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post subject: The Controversial Topic of Concussion in Sport
PostPosted: Sat October 01, 2022 3:40 am 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Should we halt our participation of and encouragement of others’ participation in activities ultimately, potentially detrimental to our well being, via brain slush, despite how fun or lucrative?

Post subject: Re: The Controversial Topic of Concussion in Sport
PostPosted: Sat October 01, 2022 3:00 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

As a whole people like seeing competition when there is something to be lost(health, glory). The NFL will most likely go to a two hand touch type game in the future but the UFC will still be around. Perhaps virtual sports will be a thing but until then there are risks in everything.

PostPosted: Sat October 01, 2022 3:04 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

tree_ wrote:
Should we halt our participation of and encouragement of others’ participation in activities ultimately, potentially detrimental to our well being, via brain slush, despite how fun or lucrative?

I have no real problem with adults doing whatever they want with their bodies. If you want to mortgage your future for present gain go ahead.

The only issue is how you handle kids, but good luck convincing parents that their kids can't play full tackle football or head the ball in soccer.

PostPosted: Sat October 01, 2022 3:58 pm 
The Master

rick malone wrote:
As a whole people like seeing competition when there is something to be lost(health, glory). The NFL will most likely go to a two hand touch type game in the future but the UFC will still be around. Perhaps virtual sports will be a thing but until then there are risks in everything.

Are you AI?

PostPosted: Sat October 01, 2022 4:12 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

JuanHamm wrote:
tree_ wrote:

I have no real problem with adults doing whatever they want with their bodies. If you want to mortgage your future for present gain go ahead.

The only issue is how you handle kids, but good luck convincing parents that their kids can't play full tackle football or head the ball in soccer.

I'm in this camp. For those keeping track.

PostPosted: Sat October 01, 2022 5:15 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I mean basically live and let live. Survival of the fittest amirite.

PostPosted: Sat October 01, 2022 5:27 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

I think the NFL should be played in two or 3 feet of water to soften impact

PostPosted: Sun October 02, 2022 11:45 pm 
Future Drummer

JuanHamm wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Absolutely an adult can make his/her own choice. Don’t be too hard on parents tho. Not all are that way. In my town our kids play tackle. My son debated between football and fall baseball, chose bball. But we would’ve been fine either way and it’s not an issue round these parts.

PostPosted: Sun October 02, 2022 11:52 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Oh yeah concussions aren't allowed in Connecticut.

PostPosted: Mon October 03, 2022 12:26 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon October 03, 2022 1:22 am 
Future Drummer

Mickey wrote:
Oh yeah concussions aren't allowed in Connecticut.

Is that what I said? I said we aren’t at the point where we won’t let kids play actual football in my town (and it’s true in the surrounding ones).

PostPosted: Mon October 03, 2022 2:59 am 
Mind Your Tanners

You said:

Quote:
But we would’ve been fine either way and it’s not an issue round these parts.

It is an issue, the kids aren't magically not getting brain damage just because no one's talking about it.

PostPosted: Mon October 03, 2022 3:14 am 
The Master

Seems like Rob’s played a lot of tackle football.

PostPosted: Mon October 03, 2022 3:15 am 
Future Drummer

Mickey wrote:
You said:

Quote:
But we would’ve been fine either way and it’s not an issue round these parts.

It is an issue, the kids aren't magically not getting brain damage just because no one's talking about it.

My man, the context is Juan saying parents won’t let their kids play tackle football because of a risk of concussion. I said it’s not an issue here. That doesn’t mean (to me) that no one takes it seriously. We pay attention and trust coaches will do what’s right if there’s an issue. One of my daughters does competition cheerleading - many concussions and injuries in that sport. My other daughter does gymnastics… many injuries in that sport. Hockey if f’n brutal… you see the point. It is precisely because we talk about it and take it seriously that we don’t overreact and make them play flag football instead.

PostPosted: Mon October 03, 2022 3:31 am 
Future Drummer

I mean, yes it’s an issue and maybe that’s all you’re saying. I don’t deny that. I was replying to the comment that it was such an issue that it made parents ditch tackle football. It’s an issue in many sports.

PostPosted: Mon October 03, 2022 4:41 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

To the surprise of no one here, I've had 3 concussions. After one I woke up in the hospital the next day not knowing how I got there.

None from playing football, strangely enough. Though I got a couple of stingers. Two were from basketball.

I wouldn't encourage my kid to play football.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon October 03, 2022 5:02 am 
The Master

The discussion around football is never about a few concussions. We’re talking about multiple concussions per season, over a four to twenty year career. Legit lingering CTE.

Maybe hockey hangs, but to compare its risks to cheerleading, or gymnastics, or Burt falling off a mechanical bull a few times in his 20s is ridiculous. You can generally come back from that.

PostPosted: Mon October 03, 2022 12:50 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Ban helmets.

PostPosted: Mon October 03, 2022 6:01 pm 
Future Drummer

spike wrote:
The discussion around football is never about a few concussions. We’re talking about multiple concussions per season, over a four to twenty year career. Legit lingering CTE.

Maybe hockey hangs, but to compare its risks to cheerleading, or gymnastics, or Burt falling off a mechanical bull a few times in his 20s is ridiculous. You can generally come back from that.

Ok. I’m talking about kids - most of whom won’t get a concussion or play past high school. Still, you can simply google “cheerleading dangerous” and see its pretty comparable while people are actually playing. Obviously someone who has had multiple concussions should not be out there.

PostPosted: Mon October 03, 2022 7:47 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Rob wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Absolutely an adult can make his/her own choice. Don’t be too hard on parents tho. Not all are that way. In my town our kids play tackle. My son debated between football and fall baseball, chose bball. But we would’ve been fine either way and it’s not an issue round these parts.

You might also get into the debate that the poor disproportionately play football. My town is all affluent college professors who aren't going to let their kids play football, but for a poor family, football is their big chance for a college scholarship.

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate