The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Women's Health Issues
PostPosted: Thu June 30, 2022 12:08 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

tragabigzanda wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Let’s be clear that this is about discriminating the poor

Hopefully no one writes them up for napping while Black

Fatality!

PostPosted: Thu June 30, 2022 12:08 am 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Hopefully no one writes them up for napping while Black

Yes an oppressive culture is not preferable

PostPosted: Thu June 30, 2022 12:33 am 
Poster of the Year

Bi_3 wrote:
I hate this kind of post:

It's so disingenuous. His hospital is a 70 minute Uber from a clinic in PA.

I see you are also a giant piece of shit.

PostPosted: Thu June 30, 2022 12:36 am 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Easy, norbutt

PostPosted: Thu June 30, 2022 12:45 am 
Mind Your Tanners

This is at least the second time post-Roe that the ostensibly pro-choice Bi_3 account has looked at the news headlines and decided, "it's the pro-choice supporters who are wrong here." Interesting!

Anyway I'm sure it'll be easy to hail that $300 Uber.

PostPosted: Thu June 30, 2022 12:50 am 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Why don’t we just ask what his angle actually is instead of jumping to conclusions

PostPosted: Thu June 30, 2022 12:53 am 
Poster of the Year

I thought his piece of shit take was pretty clear.

PostPosted: Thu June 30, 2022 12:54 am 
Mind Your Tanners

His angle is that it's disingenuous for this doctor to post that, because of Ohio's new law, "some point soon I may look someone in the eyes & say that they, against their will, will carry to term, undergo delivery & then have their child die."

He thinks this is disingenuous virtue signaling because the doctor should have said "some point soon I may look someone in the eyes & say that they can either book an expensive trip to a neighboring state, provided that the neighboring state still allows abortions and such interstate travel hasn't been criminalized, and terminate their non-viable pregnancy, or they, against their will, will carry to term, undergo delivery & then have their child die."

Thank God for nuance, right?

PostPosted: Thu June 30, 2022 1:00 am 
mXn

Honest question: Are there any “borders” or checkpoints between any two US states? I can’t recall ever driving from one state to another where you don’t just … drive right on in.

Toll bridge from NJ to Manhattan might be the closest thing?

PostPosted: Thu June 30, 2022 1:12 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bammer wrote:
Honest question: Are there any “borders” or checkpoints between any two US states? I can’t recall ever driving from one state to another where you don’t just … drive right on in.

You have left WA, right?

PostPosted: Thu June 30, 2022 1:17 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

You can Uber to PA, but what about when Ohio goes Missouri on you?

Quote:
The measure would target anyone even tangentially involved in an abortion performed on a Missouri resident, including the hotline staffers who make the appointments, the marketing representatives who advertise out-of-state clinics, and the Illinois and Kansas-based doctors who handle the procedure. Her amendment also would make it illegal to manufacture, transport, possess or distribute abortion pills in Missouri.

PostPosted: Thu June 30, 2022 1:19 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Bammer wrote:

It's not "do they stop you at the border?" It's "do they subpoena your Uber receipts and charge you and the driver, and maybe the doctor who provided your referral with the crime after the fact?" That's how the Texas and Oklahoma bills work, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out what effect this might have.

PostPosted: Thu June 30, 2022 1:20 am 
Looks Like a Cat

tree_ wrote:

It’s not, or at least my post wasn’t. It’s about changing the conversation away from pointless rage takes and signaling. There is no amount of fist clinching or tweeting or protesting or primarying that is going to change it. It’s simply not gonna happen. But what can happen is using that same energy to provide support to those in need but that has to start at the top. Like with this guy, who has both the authority and opportunity to actually help… but chose drama and self righteousness instead.

Seems to have allies here

PostPosted: Thu June 30, 2022 1:23 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Sorry, what exactly do you want him to do differently? Post directions to the Willow Women's Center on his Twitter account? And when that closes, or is booked out for months because it's the only clinic in a multi state area, what then?

PostPosted: Thu June 30, 2022 1:24 am 
Mind Your Tanners

But no, of course, it's "drama and self-righteousness" to point out something that 100% will happen as a result of this bill.

PostPosted: Thu June 30, 2022 1:53 am 
mXn

Mickey wrote:
Bammer wrote:

It's not "do they stop you at the border?" It's "do they subpoena your Uber receipts and charge you and the driver, and maybe the doctor who provided your referral with the crime after the fact?" That's how the Texas and Oklahoma bills work, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out what effect this might have.

While I appreciate your answer in keeping with thread integrity, I was asking in a much more general sense. I would have posted this question in the Travel subforum, were it an available option.

PostPosted: Thu June 30, 2022 2:41 am 
Mind Your Tanners

When they legalized weed in Nevada there were reports of troopers sitting at the Utah border and pulling over "suspicious" drivers. But no, I'm not aware of any formal border/checkpoint between states.

PostPosted: Thu June 30, 2022 2:44 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

"I'm sorry. Your baby has a lethal abnormality and if your uterus doesn't somehow rupture, the baby will die within hours of birth. I'm sure it's hard to hear that your dreams of parenthood are ending in death and suffering, but we've called an Uber for you. They'll let you choose the radio station on the way to an out of state medical facility you've never heard of until just now."

PostPosted: Thu June 30, 2022 3:26 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Mickey wrote:
When they legalized weed in Nevada there were reports of troopers sitting at the Utah border and pulling over "suspicious" drivers. But no, I'm not aware of any formal border/checkpoint between states.

California has Agricultural checkpoints that have been speculated to look for other contraband. State Troopers in plainclothes have been known to take photos of California license plates at Nevada sporting goods stores presumably looking for those skirting California ammo and magazine restrictions.

Only a few checkpoints, so not all points of entry but somewhat permanent if I'm not mistaken.

PostPosted: Thu June 30, 2022 4:57 am 
Future Drummer

B wrote:
You can Uber to PA, but what about when Ohio goes Missouri on you?

Quote:
The measure would target anyone even tangentially involved in an abortion performed on a Missouri resident, including the hotline staffers who make the appointments, the marketing representatives who advertise out-of-state clinics, and the Illinois and Kansas-based doctors who handle the procedure. Her amendment also would make it illegal to manufacture, transport, possess or distribute abortion pills in Missouri.

Luckily this was blocked in March.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 30  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate