The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 506, 507, 508, 509, 510, 511, 512 ... 515  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 5:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 17849


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 5:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 30818
Location: Mountains
I can't believe Sessions can get up there and let that shit come out of his mouth. With a straight face.

"uh, i didnt recollect it until i saw the news report"

Geezes christ.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 5:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 17849
Strat wrote:
I can't believe Sessions can get up there and let that shit come out of his mouth. With a straight face.

"uh, i didnt recollect it until i saw the news report"

Geezes christ.

The best part is his wife nodding in silent support right next to him the whole time. Either she's a brilliant legal mind who can see that he's riding a razor thin line, or she's a nincompoop who believes her husband when he tells her "Everything's going to be fine."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 5:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 30818
Location: Mountains
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
I can't believe Sessions can get up there and let that shit come out of his mouth. With a straight face.

"uh, i didnt recollect it until i saw the news report"

Geezes christ.

The best part is his wife nodding in silent support right next to him the whole time. Either she's a brilliant legal mind who can see that he's riding a razor thin line, or she's a nincompoop who believes her husband when he tells her "Everything's going to be fine."

I have a feeling he threatened to make her watch him masturbate if she spoke up.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 6:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 1:56 am
Posts: 12883
Jeffries is brutal.


_________________
Cell Phone Songs



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 6:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 1:56 am
Posts: 12883
In advance: this seems to suffer from a blend of being way too vague to be something, and way too openly said to be nefarious. But it's a story right now.

_________________
Cell Phone Songs



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 6:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 17849


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 7:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 1:56 am
Posts: 12883
Hard to overstate how impactful this could be re:the future of the party. We're seeing with the tax bill and health care efforts just how powerful Republican megadonors are.

_________________
Cell Phone Songs



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 7:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 17849
McParadigm wrote:
Hard to overstate how impactful this could be re:the future of the party. We're seeing with the tax bill and health care efforts just how powerful Republican megadonors are.

But isn't this exactly what Bannon wants? A further divide between the establishment and the deplorables?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 7:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 1:56 am
Posts: 12883
tragabigzanda wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Hard to overstate how impactful this could be re:the future of the party. We're seeing with the tax bill and health care efforts just how powerful Republican megadonors are.

But isn't this exactly what Bannon wants? A further divide between the establishment and the deplorables?

I'm increasingly skeptical that Bannon is anything other than another unremarkable would-be political strategist. All the Jokeresque talk is just weaponized fear-mongering aimed at intimidating party figureheads who don't play along.

His whole game has been to work towards replacing old school Republicans with people who think more like him. After the election, he sort of had major donor backing, and he certainly had the base via his media support network. So Republicans in office felt powerless. Those who were in danger of drawing his ire began retiring or planning for it, those who were liked by him kept quiet while their friends were targeted, and every new public relations nightmare was delicately threaded to avoid angering Steve.

Now his chosen candidate in a major race (one that should be TOTALLY SAFE for the party) is backfiring in a way that is truly incredible. Donors are reconsidering, officials are defying him and getting positive press for it, and even most national Republican voters now want Moore gone. These are the kinds of moments that help invertebrates grow spinal columns, even if they be little ones.

_________________
Cell Phone Songs



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 8:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 1:56 am
Posts: 12883
Sounds like the ACA mandate is back on the chopping block.

Gotta pay for those rich people tax cuts somehow.

_________________
Cell Phone Songs



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 8:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 17849
McParadigm wrote:
Now his chosen candidate in a major race (one that should be TOTALLY SAFE for the party) is backfiring in a way that is truly incredible. Donors are reconsidering, officials are defying him and getting positive press for it, and even most national Republican voters now want Moore gone. These are the kinds of moments that help invertebrates grow spinal columns, even if they be little ones.

:thumbsup:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 8:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 17849
McParadigm wrote:
Sounds like the ACA mandate is back on the chopping block.

Gotta pay for those rich people tax cuts somehow.

Well and if the mandate goes, doesn't that mean the subsidies go to by necessity?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 9:06 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 2454
tragabigzanda wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Sounds like the ACA mandate is back on the chopping block.

Gotta pay for those rich people tax cuts somehow.

Well and if the mandate goes, doesn't that mean the subsidies go to by necessity?


Unlikely, less than 5% of tax payers were subject to it.


First line (*ignore the red circle, it's part of the image):
Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 9:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Site Admin
 Profile

Joined: Wed December 12, 2012 10:33 pm
Posts: 5295
I still find the individual mandate to be the most despicable part of the ACA.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 9:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 17849
I don't understand how repealing the ACA would result in another $900B in subsidies? Unless I'm reading that wrong?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 10:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 1:56 am
Posts: 12883
CBO last month predicted premium increases by 10% and 13 million more uninsured if the mandate goes.

_________________
Cell Phone Songs



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 10:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 17849
Ah. I get the premium increase, but I wonder what sorts of costs they're including in the 13M more uninsured?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 10:20 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 2454
tragabigzanda wrote:
Ah. I get the premium increase, but I wonder what sorts of costs they're including in the 13M more uninsured?


According to the CBO report cited above:

Quote:
Those effects would occur mainly because healthier people would be less likely to obtain insurance and because, especially in the nongroup market, the resulting increases in premiums would cause more people to not purchase insurance.



Which makes me wonder... if you can’t afford coverage and don’t pace the mandate, do you go to debtors prison?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 10:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 17849
Bi_3 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Ah. I get the premium increase, but I wonder what sorts of costs they're including in the 13M more uninsured?


According to the CBO report cited above:

Quote:
Those effects would occur mainly because healthier people would be less likely to obtain insurance and because, especially in the nongroup market, the resulting increases in premiums would cause more people to not purchase insurance.



Which makes me wonder... if you can’t afford coverage and don’t pace the mandate, do you go to debtors prison?

But...Isn't this in relation to a repealed mandate?

As for the current laws, I believe you see a tax penalty if you can't demonstrate that you've met the mandate (or at least that's how it was in MA Romneycare). But I suspect that for those below the poverty line who are already claiming the standard deduction, you don't see a penalty.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 506, 507, 508, 509, 510, 511, 512 ... 515  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sun November 19, 2017 9:40 pm