The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

Faithfull (Melbourne 1998-03-05) vs. Hitchhiker (Manchester 2012-06-21)
Faithfull (Melbourne 1998-03-05) 88%  88%  [ 15 ]
Hitchhiker (Manchester 2012-06-21) 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 17
 Post subject: 28. Faithfull vs. Hitchhiker
PostPosted: Fri February 22, 2019 10:57 pm 
The worst

Faithfull (Melbourne 1998-03-05) vs. Hitchhiker (Manchester 2012-06-21)

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

Post subject: Re: 28. Faithfull vs. Hitchhiker
PostPosted: Fri February 22, 2019 11:44 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Faithfull.

PostPosted: Sat February 23, 2019 2:01 am 
10Club Complaint Department

VinylGuy wrote:
Faithfull.

No contest

PostPosted: Sat February 23, 2019 3:06 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Will Hitchhiker get a single vote here?

PostPosted: Sat February 23, 2019 6:56 am 
The Master

This might be the most one sided matchup yet.

PostPosted: Sun February 24, 2019 5:32 pm 
The worst

I can't believe it, but I'm going to vote for hitchhiker. It's at the very bottom of my PJ list, but that version of faithfull was boring

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun February 24, 2019 6:54 pm 
tl;dr

I love "Hitchhiker" but this live version -- the one and only, unless things have changed since I last paid attention, and if they have I shudder to think what the other one(s) must sound like for this one to have been chosen for a "definitive live" comp -- is an abject failure. The band sounds lost, Eddie's voice sounds terrible, and a key element of the studio version (the double-tracked vocals) is nowhere to be found. Strangely enough, I can totally imagine Matt singing that octave vocal and the band totally nailing this song live, though I understand why they would have no motivation to rehearse it -- the setlist-rarity watchers will happily cheer the completion of their stat trackers regardless of performance quality, and 98% of the rest of their audience has no interest in even a perfect version.

This version of "Faithfull" is great, a performance of one of their best songs (their single best?) from one of their best live eras (their single best?). If the parentheses are true it's possible that this could be their single greatest live performance ever. From Stip's description I can only surmise that his phone got jammed on "Lightning Bolt" again and his review is actually for the studio version of "Yellow Moon" despite having worked out in his brain that he was actually listening to this.

PostPosted: Sun February 24, 2019 6:56 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Kevin Davis wrote:
I love "Hitchhiker" but this live version -- the one and only, unless things have changed since I last paid attention, and if they have I shudder to think what the other one(s) must sound like for this one to have been chosen for a "definitive live" comp -- is an abject failure. The band sounds lost, Eddie's voice sounds terrible, and a key element of the studio version (the double-tracked vocals) is nowhere to be found. Strangely enough, I can totally imagine Matt singing that octave vocal and the band totally nailing this song live, though I understand why they would have no motivation to rehearse it -- the setlist-rarity watchers will happily cheer the completion of their stat trackers regardless of performance quality, and 98% of the rest of their audience has no interest in even a perfect version.

This version of "Faithfull" is great, a performance of one of their best songs (their single best?) from one of their best live eras (their single best?). If the parentheses are true it's possible that this could be their single greatest live performance ever. From Stip's description I can only surmise that his phone got jammed on "Lightning Bolt" again and his review is actually for the studio version of "Yellow Moon" despite having worked out in his brain that he was actually listening to this.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun February 24, 2019 7:11 pm 
Poster of the Year

Kevin Davis gets it.

PostPosted: Sun February 24, 2019 7:33 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Faithfull

PostPosted: Sun February 24, 2019 9:37 pm 
The worst

Kevin Davis wrote:

I've got a bad cold so I can't entirely rule this out

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam