Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Topic locked

Choose your lover.

Creed - "My Own Prison"
26%
System of a Down - "Innervision"
74%

Total votes : 27

Re: R1: My Own Prison vs. Innervision

Thu July 05, 2018 2:47 pm

tree_ wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:is there vomit on your shirt already?
Huh?

Mom's spaghetti

Thu July 05, 2018 2:48 pm

Oh I get it :roll:

Thu July 05, 2018 5:52 pm

theplatypus wrote:
theplatypus wrote:that heavy one with the CGI video of dragons fighting or whatever where Stapp goes "LOOK AT MEH!!!"

This one

:haha: This video.

Probably the best of the songs, though

Wow, I never heard or saw that one, why did they think they could pull a Tool ripoff off?

Thu July 05, 2018 5:56 pm

The only Creed song I can tolerate was their first song on their first album. Torn, I think it's called.

It was all down hill after that.

Thu July 05, 2018 7:07 pm

I had a friend who really liked Creed's first album and tried over and over to get me to like it. Ugh. I think Torn was the song I could sorta handle cause I liked the guitar part.

Thu July 05, 2018 7:11 pm

People like 'One' a lot ... and I see why ... his singing tho.. spit them marbles out

Thu July 05, 2018 7:14 pm

The first three Creed albums were pretty formative musical experience for my young mind. “Bullets” was always a favorite because it was much heavier than any other music my parents let me listen to back then.

Thu July 05, 2018 7:15 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:The first three Creed albums were pretty formative musical experience for my young mind. “Bullets” was always a favorite because it was much heavier than any other music my parents let me listen to back then.
Were your parents strict Christians?

Thu July 05, 2018 7:21 pm

tree_ wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:The first three Creed albums were pretty formative musical experience for my young mind. “Bullets” was always a favorite because it was much heavier than any other music my parents let me listen to back then.

Yes. Mostly my mom.

Thu July 05, 2018 7:24 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Yes. Mostly my mom.
So sorry... My mom was kinda posing as a Christian cause it was how she was raised... it wasn't too difficult talking her out of making me go to church, eventually...

Thu July 05, 2018 7:31 pm

Honestly, Creed's problem is mostly Scott Stapp. I've listened to "My Sacrifice" a few times since it was up on this tournament and thinking about how cool the guitar part is. It sounds almost like a Siamese Dream-era Billy Corgan riff, with those sliding octave chords against the open E string.

Thu July 05, 2018 7:37 pm

theplatypus wrote:Honestly, Creed's problem is mostly Scott Stapp. I've listened to "My Sacrifice" a few times since it was up on this tournament and thinking about how cool the guitar part is. It sounds almost like a Siamese Dream-era Billy Corgan riff, with those sliding octave chords against the open E string.
Yeah. Higher would be cool, too. I blame all the well deserved hate on Stapp.

Thu July 05, 2018 8:01 pm

How have these albums held up for you?

I was 14-19 when Creed's popularity was at its peak, and while I liked some of it at the time, in general I've found that music from that period of my life fell very naturally out of my listening routine once its moment in time had passed, or once I no longer had any use for it, where sometimes music from the early-to-mid '90's (along with some '80's stuff that defined my really early childhood) seems destined to follow me forever.

I'd be interested to see where others voting in this tournament draw that line for themselves, if they do draw it.

Thu July 05, 2018 8:25 pm

It was a distinct break for me. I remember my younger brother playing the latest garbage from Trapt or something and I finally said "nope. I'm sick of hearing these bands whine about their girlfriend or how mommy and daddy didn't love them enough." I think he was shocked.

After that I was listening to White Stripes or QOTSA or something else. Post-grunge/alt-rock was officially dead for me.

He still listens to this stuff, though. I dont think his tastes have changed at all in twenty years. Last year for his birthday he had a meet and greet with Korn. They sound like cool guys, though.

Thu July 05, 2018 9:17 pm

I had similar experiences to both of you. After listening to stuff like Creed, Linkin Park, and Nickelback as a kid, I moved into bands like The White Stripes and Queens of the Stone Age, but also Radiohead and The Mars Volta and Rage Against the Machine, etc. and I flat-out stopped listening to Nu Metal/Post-Grunge. There were a few bands and songs that snuck through that wall, like Fuel, maybe a little Seether, and, a little later, Korn, but yeah, the break was quite distinct.

Like KD, an ‘80s band I loved well before I got into Nu stuff - Tears for Fears - I have never stopped loving.

I don’t really know how to judge Creed now. It’s so entangled with such a specific period of my life. I don’t mind listening to a few songs, but I can’t stick with the music for long periods. Definitely can’t make it through a whole album. But something about them must hold up a bit better than some of their ilk on some level, because Linkin Park pretty much sounds like pure junk to me now, and I can’t make it 30 seconds into “How You Remind Me”.

I like how Jorge pointed out that the “My Sacrifice” riff sounds like Siamese Dream-era Corgan. I can definitely hear that.

Thu July 05, 2018 9:20 pm

Also, this whole group of bands definitely holds up better than the stuff I liked when I was slightly younger: Smash Mouth, Sheryl Crow, and Train, which I can’t listen to at all these days.

(I still like a couple Lifehouse songs though.)

Thu July 05, 2018 9:29 pm

Yeah I kind of got into everything all at the same time, I blame the soundtracks of extreme sports games for getting me hooked on nu metal and metal in general. I was listening to Eminem and Nelly before that.

I got into Nirvana and Pearl Jam and Radiohead and shit at the same time as I got into nu metal, so some of my younger tastes stuck and others (like Linkin Park and Disturbed) fell by the wayside as I got older.

I never liked Creed or Nickelback though, fuck them then and now.

Thu July 05, 2018 9:44 pm

I listened to a bit of this stuff (mainly Korn) around 1995-1996, but by 1997 I was headlong into Cat Power, Yo La Tengo, Belle and Sebastian, etc. and so much of this tournament is completely new to me.

I had already gone through a heavy Nirvana, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, etc. phase during 1994-1996, so my tastes in (relatively) heavier music were already pretty formed and this stuff sounded pretty boneheaded in comparison.

Thu July 05, 2018 10:30 pm

theplatypus wrote:
theplatypus wrote:that heavy one with the CGI video of dragons fighting or whatever where Stapp goes "LOOK AT MEH!!!"

This one

:haha: This video.

Probably the best of the songs, though

Thank you for bringing this into my life.

Thu July 05, 2018 10:33 pm

That guy is a real gun on the guitar, and I'm digging the druming. I would agree that Creeds' problems lie solely in Stapp.
Topic locked