The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 59  Next
 Post subject: Re: Super Mario Maker
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:38 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Did any of you guys play tonight?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:59 am 
The Master

PHATJ wrote:

I did! Your four favorites. Thoughts will be posted some time tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:01 am 

Monkey_Driven wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

Nice. Hope you enjoyed them!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:07 am 

PHATJ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

Generally did you find those pretty simple?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:14 am 
The Master

PHATJ wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

I liked them all. Not too hard, not too easy.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:22 am 

Monkey_Driven wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

I liked them all. Not too hard, not too easy.

Awesome. Cool that you liked them. I’m interested to hear your thoughts. Earlier today, I also posted a few levels that are a little more challenging. Give them a shot when you have a chance. Got any levels I can play?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:27 am 

Monkey_Driven wrote:
I'm probably in the minority, but I've always been more fond of Mario levels that rely mostly on platforming. The more exploration/puzzly levels of Super Mario World were never my favorites.

PhatJ's levels probably rock though.

By the way, just saw this post. I hope that my levels combine both those aspects. I like some problem solving mixed into levels, but nothing that completely overwhelms it.

And thanks :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:44 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

I want to play. I don't have a WiiU tho.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:03 pm 
The Master

Underground Run: 20A4-0000-006F-17C5
Difficulty: Medium

This was a nice starting point for these four levels. Not too hard, plenty of power ups and a little misdirection. I would prefer having no arrows pointing the way. The level sort of funnels you in one direction so they're not really necessary.

Sea of Stars: 3B06-0000-005A-3C23
Difficulty: Easy/Medium

Sea levels are typically my least favorite, but this was enjoyable. Way too many stars though. I like the trick boxes that pop out fish. Add more of those instead of the stars. I felt like I was too overpowered for most of the level. Overall, a nice layout to this level with good spacing between enemies.

Get Some!: C828-0000-003A-96BB

Now we're talking. Loved this. I kept dying at the very beginning part with the big jumps along the bottom, but that was mostly due to my impatience. The timing of enemies/cannonballs in this was top notch. Mario 3 aesthetic really suited this level well. Good work on the multiple paths to the end and the falling blocks in several spots. I'll replay this one to comment on specific parts of the level.

Cannon Ball Hop: D7E5-0000-008E-81BA
Difficulty: Medium/Hard

Another very solid level. Tons of stuff on screen at once. Bone throwing ghost turtles? Yeah, fuck those guys. Maybe a few too many powerups towards the end. I do like the ability to choose between the fire flower and the cape. Adds some strategy/replay value to the level. It had a logical layout and plenty of room to avoid all the stuff flying at the player.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:22 pm 

Monkey_Driven wrote:

This was a nice starting point for these four levels. Not too hard, plenty of power ups and a little misdirection. I would prefer having no arrows pointing the way. The level sort of funnels you in one direction so they're not really necessary.

Sea levels are typically my least favorite, but this was enjoyable. Way too many stars though. I like the trick boxes that pop out fish. Add more of those instead of the stars. I felt like I was too overpowered for most of the level. Overall, a nice layout to this level with good spacing between enemies.

Now we're talking. Loved this. I kept dying at the very beginning part with the big jumps along the bottom, but that was mostly due to my impatience. The timing of enemies/cannonballs in this was top notch. Mario 3 aesthetic really suited this level well. Good work on the multiple paths to the end and the falling blocks in several spots. I'll replay this one to comment on specific parts of the level.

Another very solid level. Tons of stuff on screen at once. Bone throwing ghost turtles? Yeah, fuck those guys. Maybe a few too many powerups towards the end. I do like the ability to choose between the fire flower and the cape. Adds some strategy/replay value to the level. It had a logical layout and plenty of room to avoid all the stuff flying at the player.

Thanks for playing the levels and for your comments, M_D. I think your criticisms are fair. I’m glad that your overall experience was positive. It’s really fun to create these levels and nice to get some feedback.

Interesting that “Get Some!” seems to be your favorite, I’m pretty sure that has the most plays and stars of all my uploaded courses. I’d agree that water levels aren’t typically my favorite either. I worked hard to make “Sea of Stars” enjoyable. Did you find the pipe that leads to the dry land portion or that level?

Last edited by PHATJ on Wed May 02, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:30 pm 
The Master

PHATJ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

Thanks for playing the levels and for your comments, M_D. I think your criticisms are fair. I’m glad that your overall experience was positive. It’s really fun to create these levels and nice to get some feedback.

No problem. I had previously played three of the levels, but I was more than happy to replay them a few years later.

It would be fun to set up some sort of RM Skype of Google Hangout to play these levels in realtime and get reactions. I haven't really created much, but I might get back into it once God of War is finished.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:35 pm 

Monkey_Driven wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

No problem. I had previously played three of the levels, but I was more than happy to replay them a few years later.

It would be fun to set up some sort of RM Skype of Google Hangout to play these levels in realtime and get reactions. I haven't really created much, but I might get back into it once God of War is finished.

As you were answering my post I was editing it, lol.

Interesting that “Get Some!” seems to be your favorite, I’m pretty sure that has the most plays and stars of all my uploaded courses. I’d agree that water levels aren’t typically my favorite either. I worked hard to make “Sea of Stars” enjoyable. Did you find the pipe that leads to the dry land portion or that level?

Getting real time reactions would be great. And I figured that you had played at least some of those levels previously, but I didn’t know which ones.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:39 pm 

The guide arrows in “Underground Run” are mostly an aesthetic choice, I know they aren’t necessary for finding your way. However, there are a few of secret rooms throughout the level that aren’t marked by arrows. The strategy here is misdirection to keep those rooms secret.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:40 pm 
The Master

PHATJ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

Getting real time reactions would be great. And I figured that you had played at least some of those levels previously, but I didn’t know which ones.

I did find the pipe. I generally take my time the first time I play a level, in this game or any Mario game. I'm a sucker for good level design.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:41 pm 

Also, bone throwing ghost turtles are bad ass. :D 8-)

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:42 pm 

Monkey_Driven wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

I did find the pipe. I generally take my time the first time I play a level, in this game or any Mario game. I'm a sucker for good level design.

Good. :thumbsup: I play the same way.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:43 pm 
The Master

I also wanted to compliment your beardless Mii. I wouldn't have recognized it if you hadn't recently shaved.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:45 pm 

Monkey_Driven wrote:
I also wanted to compliment your beardless Mii. I wouldn't have recognized it if you hadn't recently shaved.

:lol: Thanks. I guess I’m a bit of a chameleon when it comes to facial hair.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:17 pm 

tree_ wrote:

Well...

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:18 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

PHATJ wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Well...

You gonna give me a WiiU?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 59  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games