The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 336  Next
 Post subject: Re: The all inclusive video game thread
PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 8:22 pm 
The Master

Orpheus wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
I had difficulty with Dishonored, but it was my fault. I always play stealthy when given the choice, and try to get the undetected and no-kill achievements. Dishonored makes this murderously hard, though. You will be seen and attacked. You can't use most of the gadgets either.

Once I let go of this obsession, it was a lot more fun. 'Blink' should be in every game!

Patience young grasshopper. I'm using a lot of Blink and Dark Vision to sneak around. It also helps I save every 5 minutes.

thats the thing. I was saving/reloading more than i was playing (i was also on a harder difficulty). i hated it. Once i stopped and just lived with my mistakes, i got more out of it.

The strength of the game is the variety of ways in which you can play. It's fun to play around with all the ways you kill or sneak by a guy.

I kinda stalled out on my violent playthrough, mostly cause I kinda hate the Flooded District mission. The game is much more fun to play stealthily, IMO. Still a pretty great game.

Yeah, that level is silly. I liked Golden Cat mission.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 6:06 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

When I finish my comprehensive exams in April/May (and after I get my girlfriend an engagement ring...I wouldn't try something like this without doing that first), I think I may spoil myself and get a gaming console. Not to start a war or anything, but, honest opinion: XBOX of PlayStation? I honestly have no idea what the differences are between the two; I haven't owned a console since my Sega Genesis. I'll probably mostly be doing sports games and FPS and the like.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 6:08 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
I had difficulty with Dishonored, but it was my fault. I always play stealthy when given the choice, and try to get the undetected and no-kill achievements. Dishonored makes this murderously hard, though. You will be seen and attacked. You can't use most of the gadgets either.

Once I let go of this obsession, it was a lot more fun. 'Blink' should be in every game!

Patience young grasshopper. I'm using a lot of Blink and Dark Vision to sneak around. It also helps I save every 5 minutes.

thats the thing. I was saving/reloading more than i was playing (i was also on a harder difficulty). i hated it. Once i stopped and just lived with my mistakes, i got more out of it.

The strength of the game is the variety of ways in which you can play. It's fun to play around with all the ways you kill or sneak by a guy.

I kinda stalled out on my violent playthrough, mostly cause I kinda hate the Flooded District mission. The game is much more fun to play stealthily, IMO. Still a pretty great game.

Yeah, that level is silly. I liked Golden Cat mission.

Spoiler: show
did you guys notice the religious leader guy from the first level was in the flooded district (if you branded him instead of kill him)? that was pretty cool.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 7:38 pm 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
When I finish my comprehensive exams in April/May (and after I get my girlfriend an engagement ring...I wouldn't try something like this without doing that first), I think I may spoil myself and get a gaming console. Not to start a war or anything, but, honest opinion: XBOX of PlayStation? I honestly have no idea what the differences are between the two; I haven't owned a console since my Sega Genesis. I'll probably mostly be doing sports games and FPS and the like.

Depends. If you're just planning on playing FPS's and sports games your best bet is to get an Xbox, especially if you have friends who play online. I have a PS3 because I like the exclusive titles a bit more (and for the Blu Ray player). So many games these days come out on both consoles though so you really can't go wrong. Now is a great time to buy one of these though with the new consoles right around the corner. You can get some really great games from the past 6-7 years for really cheap.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 7:43 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Depends. If you're just planning on playing FPS's and sports games your best bet is to get an Xbox, especially if you have friends who play online. I have a PS3 because I like the exclusive titles a bit more (and for the Blu Ray player). So many games these days come out on both consoles though so you really can't go wrong. Now is a great time to buy one of these though with the new consoles right around the corner. You can get some really great games from the past 6-7 years for really cheap.

Which games are exclusive to the PS3? Just from media saturation, I know that the Halo series is an Xbox title, but I don't know what's on PS3 only.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 8:06 pm 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Which games are exclusive to the PS3? Just from media saturation, I know that the Halo series is an Xbox title, but I don't know what's on PS3 only.

Uncharted, God of War, several downloadable titles (i.e. Journey), Infamous, Gran Turismo, MLB: The Show, Little Big Planet, Killzone, and more. The Uncharted series and the developer's upcoming game Last of Us are about as good as gaming gets for single player action games.

Here is a full list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_3-only_games

360 exclusives...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Xbox_360-only_games

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 8:21 pm 
slower than 82% of US

Man, just cannot get into dishonored.

PostPosted: Wed January 16, 2013 12:06 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Uncharted, God of War, several downloadable titles (i.e. Journey), Infamous, Gran Turismo, MLB: The Show, Little Big Planet, Killzone, and more. The Uncharted series and the developer's upcoming game Last of Us are about as good as gaming gets for single player action games.

Here is a full list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_3-only_games

360 exclusives...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Xbox_360-only_games

Thanks for that! I'm sure that will help me decide. I'll get back to ya'll in May.

PostPosted: Wed January 16, 2013 1:08 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Simple Torture wrote:

I've had both and I prefer the PS3.

PostPosted: Wed January 16, 2013 2:54 pm 
The Master

numbers wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

I haven't regretted my decision. I forgot to mention playing online on a PS3 is free where on a 360 you pay about 55 bucks a year. The Xbox online services are better than the Playstation's but the price may not be worth it if you are a casual player.

PostPosted: Wed January 16, 2013 3:26 pm 
A Return To Form

Monkey_Driven wrote:
numbers wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

I haven't regretted my decision. I forgot to mention playing online on a PS3 is free where on a 360 you pay about 55 bucks a year. The Xbox online services are better than the Playstation's but the price may not be worth it if you are a casual player.

As someone who has owned both I--hands down--prefer the PS3. And I would disagree that XBOX Live is better than the PSN. That may have been true 2 years ago, but I don't think that is the case now. If you want to spend the same money ($50 or so) on PS+ as you do on Live, you will literally be balls deep in free games, with many more coming each month. Shoot, they just put Darksiders out for free yesterday, and that is an excellent game. Games, though, is more or less a push unless you have specific exclusive franchises you prefer (God of War, Uncharted, etc, seals the deal for me).

-Cpt. Murphy

PostPosted: Wed January 16, 2013 4:26 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

You're not required to have an XBOX online account, right? I really don't think I'd be into doing games online.

PostPosted: Wed January 16, 2013 4:38 pm 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
You're not required to have an XBOX online account, right? I really don't think I'd be into doing games online.

You will if you want access online features like Netflix, HBO Go, download updates to games, etc.. Not sure if you need a silver or gold account though.

PostPosted: Wed January 16, 2013 6:28 pm 
A Return To Form

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

You will if you want access online features like Netflix, HBO Go, download updates to games, etc.. Not sure if you need a silver or gold account though.

Yeah, if you have no real plans to play online, but still want to take advantage of things like streaming Netflix, Hulu, Amazon videos, etc., you definitely want to lean towards the PS3. All of this stuff is available on the basic PSN, which is completely free. Playstation Plus is completely optional, and no basic network functionality is withheld if you choose not to pay for it.

-Cpt. Murphy

PostPosted: Wed January 16, 2013 9:18 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I have both systems and haven't touched my Xbox in maybe 2 years. Everything I need comes through the PS3 without a subscription, plus I don't think Xbox's exclusives are that great (Halo, Gears of War).

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 1:11 am 
Mind Your Tanners

I dont think I know anyone that's had both systems and prefers the xbox.

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 1:19 am 
Future Drummer

I finished Dishonored again with High Chaos last night. I really like the changes in the last few missions, some pretty disturbing stuff. It was fun to go into the last mission with full ammo for everything and just blow through the whole level.

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 3:03 pm 
The Master

Orpheus wrote:
I finished Dishonored again with High Chaos last night. I really like the changes in the last few missions, some pretty disturbing stuff. It was fun to go into the last mission with full ammo for everything and just blow through the whole level.

Absolutely. I did find stealth to be more satisfying overall though.

PostPosted: Fri January 18, 2013 2:32 am 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

Still trundling through Skyrim. Level 34.

Also snagged the new Borderlands 2 DLC this morning. Good stuff.

PostPosted: Fri January 18, 2013 8:39 am 
AnalLog

My Borderlands 2 was a CD Key pre-purchase I bought from NZL's trademe (ebay). The key worked for a while but one day it disappeared from my Steam library. I still need to get through to support to see what I can do. Shitty deal.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 336  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games