The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327 ... 336  Next
 Post subject: Re: The all inclusive video game thread
PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 4:15 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Alright i'll keep at it.

I think my frustration is amplified by of a couple of shitty weeks of work with almost no gaming time, then when i finally got a couple hours to myself it felt like I had just wasted them on a grind.

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 5:02 pm 
Production Police

So a few hours into Far Cry 5:

It's an amazing game not without its frustrations. FC4 was the first video game I played since 2000, and it blew me away; I had great fun killing anyone and anything that crossed my path, and had no qualms about hunting a bunch of animals for their skins and meat...

But in FC5, my approach is far more stealthy and reserved. I don't want to kill every animal I see, and find that a more conservative approach to situations fits the overall mood of this game better. Plus, given the increased reliance on crafting and the decrease in weapon variety, I'm having the most fun sneaking around with my bow and arrow, and am hunting animals only when absolutely necessary. And herein lies the problem:

My hired gun and I do battle with the drivers of a Seed pickup truck that is outfitted with a bunch of stereo speakers in the bed; they have been driving around playing their eerie worship music to the Hope County residents. After killing the drivers, we take their truck to the nearest outpost, which happens to be at an apple orchard. The scene we've created is something special: vocal-based worship music continues to play from our pickup bed as we exit the vehicle and start a stealthy approach to the outpost; the sun is setting, I've got my bow and arrow armed, I'm using the binoculars to target enemies and their alarm systems, and I'm giving good directions for coverage to my hired gun. So far so good. The music, the apple orchard setting, and the impending sneaky bloodshed are all adding up to what looks to be a truly memorable gaming sequence...

When all of a sudden, a cougar runs out of the brush and attacks my hired gun. He responds by swearing and lighting up the apple orchard with a submachine gun, which of course brings all the cult members running and sounding the alarm. So much for my stealthy kills in our eerie setting. All I can do is hightail it back to the vehicle, and then careen through the apple orchard, running over as many cult members as possible. In a final annoying act, all the loot from the downed cult members disappears when the game declares "Outpost Liberated"; Reddit had previously informed me that I have to loot all dead bodies before killing the last bad guy and liberating an outpost, otherwise the loot disappears. But my hired gun has been gleefully shooting at everything that moves, and he apparently killed the last man standing before I had a chance to grab any loot.

Lesson learned: Leave the hired guns at home, at least until I'm about to go up against a major group of enemies. I'll stick to my conservative bow and arrow approach and fly solo as much as possible. Hopefully the animal companions I can unlock later will make better partners for my play style.

Last edited by tragabigzanda on Thu March 29, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 5:05 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
tl;dr

Rent, buy, or skip?

I'm gonna buy Donkey Kong Country for Switch next unless another game looks better...

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 5:13 pm 
The Master

Re: Bloodborne

You guys are insane.

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 5:15 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

mf wrote:
Alright i'll keep at it.

I think my frustration is amplified by of a couple of shitty weeks of work with almost no gaming time, then when i finally got a couple hours to myself it felt like I had just wasted them on a grind.

I feel your pain. This is why I quit BB and Switched. Splatoon 2 is actual FUN.

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 5:16 pm 
Production Police

tree_ wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
tl;dr

Rent, buy, or skip?

I'm gonna buy Donkey Kong Country for Switch next unless another game looks better...

It's a Far Cry game. If you're into that, then buy it. If you're on the fence, rent it. I wouldn't suggest skipping it altogether.

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 5:18 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
tree_ wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
tl;dr

Rent, buy, or skip?

It's a Far Cry game. If you're into that, then buy it. If you're on the fence, rent it. I wouldn't suggest skipping it altogether.

Thanks. I'll rent it. I've never played a Far Cry game but feel I know Ubisoft all too well after being bored by the AC and Watchdog games...

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 5:55 pm 
Production Police

tree_ wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
tree_ wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
tl;dr

Rent, buy, or skip?

Thanks. I'll rent it. I've never played a Far Cry game but feel I know Ubisoft all too well after being bored by the AC and Watchdog games...

Have never played Watchdogs, but I like Far Cry about a million times more than the AC series.

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 5:59 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
tree_ wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
tree_ wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
tl;dr

Rent, buy, or skip?

Have never played Watchdogs, but I like Far Cry about a million times more than the AC series.

Yeah AC was played out after Black Flag. I've heard that Origins is actually a pretty solid game though and benefited from them taking a year off from their annual release cycle. I plan to give it a chance when it drops in price some.

PostPosted: Thu March 29, 2018 6:09 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Re: Bloodborne

You guys are insane.

We know.

PostPosted: Mon April 02, 2018 1:57 am 
Rank This Poster

I get that it's cheap and all, but how can rbi baseball be so bad??

The rbi baseball from the 80s had better controls

PostPosted: Mon April 02, 2018 1:12 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Hey, i played Bloodborne a bunch over the weekend and it finally clicked for me. Glad i didn't bail on it. I'm past the Blood Starved Beast now.

PostPosted: Mon April 02, 2018 6:51 pm 
Champion of RM

I still haven't unlocked Boomer in FC5. I hear he's one of the best video game dogs ever. :(

PostPosted: Mon April 02, 2018 6:58 pm 
Production Police

CopperTom wrote:
I still haven't unlocked Boomer in FC5. I hear he's one of the best video game dogs ever. :(

Spoiler: show
He's at Rae-Rae's Pumpkin Farm in the southwest. The game did a weird hiccup with me where I completed this mission, but didn't get Boomer at the end as I was supposed to (no sort of explicit interaction with him, nor was he immediately available in my Hired Gun assignable characters). I got frustrated and read online, could not figure out why I didn't have him. But when I started up the game next, suddenly he was available as a Hired Gun. We've been super tight ever since, and he is indeed a very good dog.

PostPosted: Mon April 02, 2018 7:16 pm 
Future Drummer

Better than D-Dog in MGSV? Cause I fucking love D-Dog.

PostPosted: Mon April 02, 2018 7:27 pm 
Production Police

Orpheus wrote:
Better than D-Dog in MGSV? Cause I fucking love D-Dog.

Couldn't say, i bailed on that game pretty quick. But Boomer definitely rules.

PostPosted: Mon April 02, 2018 8:06 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

He's at Rae-Rae's Pumpkin Farm in the southwest. The game did a weird hiccup with me where I completed this mission, but didn't get Boomer at the end as I was supposed to (no sort of explicit interaction with him, nor was he immediately available in my Hired Gun assignable characters). I got frustrated and read online, could not figure out why I didn't have him. But when I started up the game next, suddenly he was available as a Hired Gun. We've been super tight ever since, and he is indeed a very good dog.

Same thing happened to me. Just restarted the most recent checkpoint and it worked fine. Weird glitch at the start of the open world part of the game.

PostPosted: Mon April 02, 2018 8:08 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Ubisoft and glitches? Get the fuck out!

PostPosted: Mon April 02, 2018 8:12 pm 
Production Police

Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

Same thing happened to me. Just restarted the most recent checkpoint and it worked fine. Weird glitch at the start of the open world part of the game.

Dang, sounds like we're both at about the same point in the game. We should partner up this week. What nights look good for you?

PostPosted: Mon April 02, 2018 8:31 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

Dang, sounds like we're both at about the same point in the game. We should partner up this week. What nights look good for you?

I'm out of town until Sunday bro. Sorry.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327 ... 336  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games