The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334, 335, 336  Next
 Post subject: Re: The all inclusive video game thread
PostPosted: Wed April 18, 2018 8:30 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

There is greatness to be found in every medium. You have to find it and then the more deeply you delve, the more value you find. I'm learning that about MGS V. Once I had the time to invest, I saw how brilliant it actually is.

PostPosted: Wed April 18, 2018 9:18 pm 
The Master

Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
That would be insanely pointless and confusing

Less pointless and confusing than having everything jumbled together.

LV's still bummed he has chose Xbox One over PS4.

But I have them both!!!

I didn't think you had a PS4. Are you interested in God of War? The single camera shot seems like it could be a game changer in gaming storytelling.

Not really. Like many games, certain things about the aesthetic/concept seem interesting, but the actual gameplay totally turns me off.

That's fair. The gameplay of this is getting rave reviews as well, but I understand your point. I'm not interested in most shooters/fighting games for the same reason.

Big budget games seem to add one feature upon another to appeal to the widest possible audience, leading each element to lack polish. I appreciate good game design just as much as art design/story/atmosphere/etc. There's an art to it.

Uninteresting game mechanics are the reason I haven’t bought a game in forever. It’s all so stale and homogenous. There’s so little innovation. Part of me wishes people who aren’t game developers were making games, but on the other hand that would probably also suck because I hate unpolished games. It really feels like the medium is dying to me. Or at least going through a severe dry spell.

I feel the same way about film. These feelings are not unique to games.

Well, I definitely don’t agree with you there.

PostPosted: Wed April 18, 2018 9:28 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
That would be insanely pointless and confusing

Less pointless and confusing than having everything jumbled together.

LV's still bummed he has chose Xbox One over PS4.

But I have them both!!!

I didn't think you had a PS4. Are you interested in God of War? The single camera shot seems like it could be a game changer in gaming storytelling.

Not really. Like many games, certain things about the aesthetic/concept seem interesting, but the actual gameplay totally turns me off.

That's fair. The gameplay of this is getting rave reviews as well, but I understand your point. I'm not interested in most shooters/fighting games for the same reason.

Big budget games seem to add one feature upon another to appeal to the widest possible audience, leading each element to lack polish. I appreciate good game design just as much as art design/story/atmosphere/etc. There's an art to it.

Uninteresting game mechanics are the reason I haven’t bought a game in forever. It’s all so stale and homogenous. There’s so little innovation. Part of me wishes people who aren’t game developers were making games, but on the other hand that would probably also suck because I hate unpolished games. It really feels like the medium is dying to me. Or at least going through a severe dry spell.

I feel the same way about film. These feelings are not unique to games.

Well, I definitely don’t agree with you there.

Same, but with gaming. Every medium is iterative, gaming especially so. If you're not actually playing games you miss out on these gradual, incremental changes and innovations. Between VR, indie games, and mobile gaming all sorts of ground is being explored and broken beyond the mainstream CODs, sports games, and Assasin's Creeds.

PostPosted: Wed April 18, 2018 9:44 pm 
The Master

The problem is what I’m seeing isn’t even enough to generate interest in trying it. I was so excited for what games could become a few years ago. I was mostly excited by the concept of RPG decision-making being more and more blended into non-RPG games. Yeah...that didn’t really happen. I have zero interest in most indie games, which seem as stale and bland as can be (I am sooooo not interested in platforming stuff). Horror games should be exciting, but developers just keep repeating the same agonizing mechanics that distance me from the experience (no more fucking puzzle-solving, oh my god). Not into hack-n-slash stuff at all. And the kind of games that get lauded as leaps forward (*COUGH*the last of us*COUGH*) are almost always dull as fuck to me. Even the aesthetics of most games seem homogenous now, which probably has a lot to do with many games being built on the same engine.

VR does look cool, but I don’t really wanna pony up the coin to get into it.

I dunno. I used to get excited about games as an artform. But I just don’t see anything attractive being done with it these days.

PostPosted: Wed April 18, 2018 9:50 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
The problem is what I’m seeing isn’t even enough to generate interest in trying it. I was so excited for what games could become a few years ago. I was mostly excited by the concept of RPG decision-making being more and more blended into non-RPG games. Yeah...that didn’t really happen. I have zero interest in most indie games, which seem as stale and bland as can be (I am sooooo not interested in platforming stuff). Horror games should be exciting, but developers just keep repeating the same agonizing mechanics that distance me from the experience (no more fucking puzzle-solving, oh my god). Not into hack-n-slash stuff at all. And the kind of games that get lauded as leaps forward (*COUGH*the last of us*COUGH*) are almost always dull as fuck to me. Even the aesthetics of most games seem homogenous now, which probably has a lot to do with many games being built on the same engine.

VR does look cool, but I don’t really wanna pony up the coin to get into it.

I dunno. I used to get excited about games as an artform. But I just don’t see anything attractive being done with it these days.

So, you're basing the quality of today's games and the state of industry at large on your opinion of where gaming should go?

PostPosted: Wed April 18, 2018 9:51 pm 
The Master

Of course. How is that different from any other medium? I want things I respond to.

PostPosted: Wed April 18, 2018 9:56 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Of course. How is that different from any other medium? I want things I respond to.

Just checking. Sometimes your statements come across as incredibly pretentious, but it is just me just misreading or misinterpreting you. It's a bummer you aren't able to get enjoyment out of modern games. It is easy to forget how incredibly difficult it is to make games. I'm sure many developers and creators want to push the industry forward more than what current technology allows.

Have you tried VR before?

PostPosted: Wed April 18, 2018 10:23 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I think LV has a problem with any game that isn't first or third person.

I dunno. I used to get hung up on immersion and "playing a character in a story", but I'm not really sure that's all games can be or what they should be. I don't think they are the medium best suited for that. What about the game mechanics themselves? Are they artistic choices? Maybe games are mediums.

I don't know what games are. I don't think "art" really fully encompasses them. There is a mountain of articles written on it, and its all pretty boring.

Also, if someone wants to make an individual game thread then they should be able to goddamnit! What is this, soviet Russia?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Wed April 18, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed April 18, 2018 10:25 pm 
A Return To Form

Why not a gaming subforum?

PostPosted: Wed April 18, 2018 10:25 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

HeyGuys wrote:
Why not a gaming subforum?

lets not get carried away.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed April 18, 2018 10:50 pm 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

I'm open to suggesting a new sub forum to our mod team - if there is enough call for it.

However, I'm not advocating for it this time though (ala the failed Health and Fitness subforum). The Star Wars subforum does well so it's a reeaaal possibility.

Alternatively, we could look at the option of allowing multiple threads (within reason) within A & E. I would suggest having a flair/flag used on each video game related thread at the start though, such as [VG] or [Video Game]. This way the movie-buff game-haters can easily avoid those threads.

PostPosted: Wed April 18, 2018 11:05 pm 
AnalLog

So back on the new GoW. What do you think the chances are of an expansion DLC pack being released for this? Normally I'd say a very high chance given the purported size of the game's world, I just found it odd that there was no season pass or inclusion in the digital deluxe of a future DLC story/expansion pack. The makers have already indicated that the next game will take place in Norse universe again, figured given all the development and marketing put into this game that we'll likely see an expansion announced later this year.

PostPosted: Wed April 18, 2018 11:07 pm 
The Master

Revelator wrote:
So back on the new GoW. What do you think the chances are of an expansion DLC pack being released for this? Normally I'd say a very high chance given the purported size of the game's world, I just found it odd that there was no season pass or inclusion in the digital deluxe of a future DLC story/expansion pack. The makers have already indicated that the next game will take place in Norse universe again, figured given all the development and marketing put into this game that we'll likely see an expansion announced later this year.

My guess is the studio plans to take a much needed break and will assess everything once they return to work. Probably an early 2019 DLC/story experience.

PostPosted: Wed April 18, 2018 11:42 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
I'm open to suggesting a new sub forum to our mod team - if there is enough call for it.

However, I'm not advocating for it this time though (ala the failed Health and Fitness subforum). The Star Wars subforum does well so it's a reeaaal possibility.

Alternatively, we could look at the option of allowing multiple threads (within reason) within A & E. I would suggest having a flair/flag used on each video game related thread at the start though, such as [VG] or [Video Game]. This way the movie-buff game-haters can easily avoid those threads.

Thanks for undermining me, Sarge

PostPosted: Thu April 19, 2018 12:18 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:

Thanks for undermining me, Sarge

Well, not exactly. I'm open to any scenario, including keeping everything as it is. I'm more or less opening up the discussion to the posters who regularly use this area, rather than making it a totalitarian mod based decision.

PostPosted: Thu April 19, 2018 12:18 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

At least in that scenario, if everything goes to shit - they can only blame themselves.

PostPosted: Thu April 19, 2018 12:25 am 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Thanks Sarge. Can we run a poll please?

PostPosted: Thu April 19, 2018 12:34 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

tree_ wrote:
Thanks Sarge. Can we run a poll please?

PostPosted: Thu April 19, 2018 12:58 am 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

There really wouldn't be many video game threads. As LV pointed out earlier, there aren't many games worth discussing. If the thread is stupid and taking up prescious space, lock it up.

PostPosted: Thu April 19, 2018 1:03 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

tree_ wrote:
There really wouldn't be many video game threads. As LV pointed out earlier, there aren't many games worth discussing. If the thread is stupid and taking up prescious space, lock it up.

So like, reverse the rules of GD? Sounds crazy, but it might just work.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334, 335, 336  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games