The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328 ... 336  Next
 Post subject: Re: The all inclusive video game thread
PostPosted: Tue April 03, 2018 4:03 pm 
Production Police

Far Cry 5 has sort of a True Detective S1 vibe, but more shallow and silly.

PostPosted: Tue April 03, 2018 4:05 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:

Deep and serious is everything I liked about True Detective...

PostPosted: Tue April 03, 2018 4:14 pm 
Production Police

tree_ wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Deep and serious is everything I liked about True Detective...

This game captures the TD1 mood of cults, drugs, lost souls and rural environments. But any real seriousness gets obliterated the moment you're clinging onto life because you got suckerpunched by a vicious turkey.

PostPosted: Thu April 05, 2018 12:33 am 
AnalLog

Spider Man out exclusively on PS4 on 7 Sep!

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/spide ... 0-6457921/

PostPosted: Thu April 05, 2018 2:29 am 
The Master

Revelator wrote:
Spider Man out exclusively on PS4 on 7 Sep!

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/spide ... 0-6457921/

Looks fun.

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 2:15 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

I rented Far Cry 5. The intro was incredible and I thought I was in for a real treat. But when I got to the part where you go running through the woods the controls seemed off. I adjusted the look sensitivity and that helped but everything felt jarringly unpolished. I guess it is hard to make such an open world feel polished but the intro, which had me thinking "this is the next evolution of video games", set me up for disappointment. ... Running around the open world and doing missions I was more and more disappointed. I really wanted to sneak around with my bow but when I tried to take over the 'fang outpost' or whatever it's called in the north sneakily, I gave up after several tries.. very difficult. I found it's much easier to take the guy with the bazooka and go in blasting with a machine gun. I came across a lot of eye roll moments and glitches and I have to say, after about 5 hours in, I have no need to play this anymore. Ubisoft has let me down again.

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 2:20 pm 
The Master

tree_ wrote:
I rented Far Cry 5. The intro was incredible and I thought I was in for a real treat. But when I got to the part where you go running through the woods the controls seemed off. I adjusted the look sensitivity and that helped but everything felt jarringly unpolished. I guess it is hard to make such an open world feel polished but the intro, which had me thinking "this is the next evolution of video games", set me up for disappointment. ... Running around the open world and doing missions I was more and more disappointed. I really wanted to sneak around with my bow but when I tried to take over the 'fang outpost' or whatever it's called in the north sneakily, I gave up after several tries.. very difficult. I found it's much easier to take the guy with the bazooka and go in blasting with a machine gun. I came across a lot of eye roll moments and glitches and I have to say, after about 5 hours in, I have no need to play this anymore. Ubisoft has let me down again.

I don't find the game unpolished at all. The gameplay really opens up when you get a few sidekicks to play with you. It's probably the most Far Cry game yet.

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 2:31 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:

I don't find the game unpolished at all. The gameplay really opens up when you get a few sidekicks to play with you. It's probably the most Far Cry game yet.

It felt very unpolished to me in almost every aspect.. I also don't like the silliness. The tone was all over the place. I wanted it to hold the kind of weight that the intro had. I think The Last of Us is the only game I've played that was able to do this well.

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 2:36 pm 
The Master

tree_ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:

It felt very unpolished to me in almost every aspect.. I also don't like the silliness. The tone was all over the place. I wanted it to hold the kind of weight that the intro had. I think The Last of Us is the only game I've played that was able to do this well.

You're guaranteed to be disappointed with a Far Cry game if you don't want silliness. The gameplay is more arcadey and "loose" on purpose.

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 2:42 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:

You're guaranteed to be disappointed with a Far Cry game if you don't want silliness. The gameplay is more arcadey and "loose" on purpose.

Ah, OK. But the intro set a very intense, serious tone. So when it got ridiculous I was very let down and I cried real hard.

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 2:52 pm 
The Master

tree_ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Ah, OK. But the intro set a very intense, serious tone. So when it got ridiculous I was very let down and I cried real hard.

The intro was out of place no doubt. Stories in Far Cry games are better if they are in the margins and characters. Not through mandatory cutscenes.

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 2:59 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

I'm really looking forward to the next Last of Us game.

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 3:08 pm 
The Master

tree_ wrote:

Most definitely.

I have a feeling God War next week is going to be really, really good too if you are looking for more of a cinematic, engaging single player game.

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 3:10 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Most definitely.

I have a feeling God War next week is going to be really, really good too if you are looking for more of a cinematic, engaging single player game.

Oh shit forgot about that one. I'll have to give it a 3-day rental. I've actually never played a God of War. But this looks like a different style game than the prequels, being cinematic and all. Is that accurate?

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 3:11 pm 
Production Police

Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:

The intro was out of place no doubt. Stories in Far Cry games are better if they are in the margins and characters. Not through mandatory cutscenes.

_Tree, I agree the controls are a little wonky, especially the L stick -- the dead zone is non-existent, and it can't be altered in the options, which means my thumb is killing me after running 700 yards to blow up a truck. But then one thing about Far Cry games is that they start your character off pretty weak, but he gets faster and more agile as your level up.

It is a silly game. You can sort of combat that by ignoring the over-powered weapons like flamethrowers and grenade launchers. Focus on the bow and arrow, sniper rifle, and some sort of simple machine gun, and it will keep things at least a little more stealthy and challenging.

I agree with MD, the story is at its best when it's picked up in the margins (I especially like reading notes and journals I find throughout the world). But it is a very arcady game, and I'm finding the best approach is to have fun, explore, and don't take things too seriously. Luckily it has a forgiving save system, so you can pretty much just power it down whenever you've had your fill.

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 3:13 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:

_Tree, I agree the controls are a little wonky, especially the L stick -- the dead zone is non-existent, and it can't be altered in the options, which means my thumb is killing me after running 700 yards to blow up a truck. But then one thing about Far Cry games is that they start your character off pretty weak, but he gets faster and more agile as your level up.

It is a silly game. You can sort of combat that by ignoring the over-powered weapons like flamethrowers and grenade launchers. Focus on the bow and arrow, sniper rifle, and some sort of simple machine gun, and it will keep things at least a little more stealthy and challenging.

I agree with MD, the story is at its best when it's picked up in the margins (I especially like reading notes and journals I find throughout the world). But it is a very arcady game, and I'm finding the best approach is to have fun, explore, and don't take things too seriously. Luckily it has a forgiving save system, so you can pretty much just power it down whenever you've had your fill.

Flying planes, parachuting into bases, and shooting everyone before I land is so satisfying.

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 3:27 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

I really tried combatting the silliness but it ultimately wouldn't let me, what with wild animals attacking me and when I tried being stealth with the bow it was impossible cause the guys had dogs and ridiculous armor.

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 3:55 pm 
The Master

PS5/XBOX 2.0/4) coming in 2020 at earliest according to reports.

Good. Give technology a chance to make 4k/60 fps capable machines more affordable.

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 4:05 pm 
Production Police

Monkey_Driven wrote:

Good. Give technology a chance to make 4k/60 fps capable machines more affordable.

:thumbsup: And since the first year's worth of games will likely have been developed on the PS4, I can safely hold off until 2021.

PostPosted: Wed April 11, 2018 4:07 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

:thumbsup: And since the first year's worth of games will likely have been developed on the PS4, I can safely hold off until 2021.

And gives the Switch another two years of relevance with indie ports.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328 ... 336  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games