Switch to full style
A better alternative to going outside
Post a reply

Kids Playing Video Games

Tue October 19, 2021 7:04 pm

My child turned 3 at the end of July, and he's loving video games! We've been playing the Switch together almost every evening. He loves Mario. His favorite is Odyssey, which he pronounces very well now after a little coaching. He also plays Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, Mario Maker 2 in which we play other people's levels on the easy setting and are almost at 200 levels completed, and DK games. On the PS5 he loves to play Astro's Playroom and go down the big slide in the water level and find the choo choo in Spiderman, and just kinda stand there and watch it come and go, yelling "choo choo!", and not getting on the tracks or he freaks out. It's just fascinating watching him learn and observe video games.

Re: Kids Playing Video Games

Tue October 19, 2021 9:29 pm

Stomp his ass out in Mario Kart. No mercy, Spartan style.

Tue October 19, 2021 10:25 pm

My nephews can finally hang with me in Duck Game.

Tue October 19, 2021 10:26 pm

Norris wrote:My nephews can finally hang with me in Duck Game.

how much cocaine do they get

Tue October 19, 2021 10:36 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
Norris wrote:My nephews can finally hang with me in Duck Game.

how much cocaine do they get

trag

Tue October 19, 2021 11:04 pm

Ello Sailor wrote:Stomp his ass out in Mario Kart. No mercy, Spartan style.

He can’t even stay on the track at 50cc yet. When he gets better I will show him how much further he has to go.

Wed October 20, 2021 12:39 am

he's a little kid turn on track assist

Wed October 20, 2021 1:02 am

Nah gotta learn real rules in the real world

Wed October 20, 2021 1:08 am

wow, you against training wheels too?

Wed October 20, 2021 1:14 am

No cause that prevents actual physical harm. Bad outweighs the good.

Wed October 20, 2021 1:32 am

you're a weird guy, ace

Wed October 20, 2021 1:38 am

Yeah I know. Most of us are eccentric.

Wed October 20, 2021 3:46 am

My 4 year old watches me play from time to time, but I rarely play when he's awake. He did enjoy playing as Bowser Junior in Bowser's Fury and running around in Odyssey. Lately, he has been interested in walking around and chopping down trees in Breath of the Wild.

The camera controls and movement are still a bit tricky in a 3D space. We also are a tablet free house, so he doesn't have any experience with touchscreen games. Trying to wait as long as possible before he's introduced to those.

Wed October 20, 2021 12:22 pm

Yeah I'm glad tree is bonding with his kid, but I have some misgivings about the brain impact of fast-paced gaming at such a young age. But who knows, maybe his kid will turn out to be a genius?

Wed October 20, 2021 12:26 pm

When do you start? My kid is 21 months old, and she hasn't played any video games yet.

Wed October 20, 2021 12:48 pm

I gotta think that 5-6 is a more reasonable time? But maybe I'm being prudish. Totally open to being wrong here.

Wed October 20, 2021 12:53 pm

I will gladly share my individual parenting tips for $4.99 a pop.

PM me.

Wed October 20, 2021 12:58 pm

Why pay you, when Trag has free advice?

Wed October 20, 2021 1:00 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:I gotta think that 5-6 is a more reasonable time? But maybe I'm being prudish. Totally open to being wrong here.

How strict have you been, or plan to be, on tv and ipad use?

Wed October 20, 2021 1:22 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:Yeah I'm glad tree is bonding with his kid, but I have some misgivings about the brain impact of fast-paced gaming at such a young age. But who knows, maybe his kid will turn out to be a genius?

We are bonding in many more ways than with the little video game time we have. But I do think it's good for him; improves fine motor skills and problem solving. I don't let him just space out and drool. We talk about what's going on and work on his speech and I take it away if he misbehaves or throws a tantrum. Video games can be magical worlds to explore, and as long as you pay attention and remain vigilant, I don't think they're the least bit harmful, at least the ones we play.
Post a reply