The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Best Game of the Series
PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 5:14 am 
The Master

Ello Sailor wrote:
Didn't go deep, but Symphony of the Night is a masterpiece.

Yeah good call

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 11:43 am 
Champion of RM

Ello Sailor wrote:
Topic is interesting, but a lot of low hanging fruit being picked here. Hit me with something controversial.

Half-Life 1 or 2?

Half Life 2 by a mile. That’s one of the lowest hanging fruit on the tree. HL1 isn’t very good.

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 11:44 am 
Champion of RM

tragabigzanda wrote:
Ello Sailor wrote:

Yeah good call

Has there been an above average entry in the past 20 years?

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 11:46 am 
Champion of RM

tragabigzanda wrote:
Ello Sailor wrote:
Tekken 3 or 5?

VirtuaFighter 2

Yes! The best fighting game of that generation.

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 1:02 pm 
Rank This Poster

tragabigzanda wrote:
Ello Sailor wrote:

Yeah good call

Seems the unanimous choice on the web. I’ve never owned a PlayStation. It’s not on the mini or Xbox or Switch. Unless I drop $40 for an Xbox 360 Konami collection.

Wait, I can pair a wireless Xbox controller to an iPad and play it for $3?

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 1:58 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Mega Man 2
Super Mario World (for 2D Mario games)
Link to the Past (only because I haven't played Breath of the Wild)
Final Fantasy 6
Mario Kart Wii
Super Mario Galaxy (for 3D Mario games)
Metroid Prime

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 3:37 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I love all the Uncharted games dearly but 2 is the best.

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 7:07 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
daft twat wrote:

I'd also love to hear more about the new Hitman games. I played the shit out of Hitman 2: Silent Assassin on the old xbox.

The only Hitman games I played were the Hitman reboot, and Hitman 2, for PS4. I LOVED them both...

Apparently the reboot was something of a reset for the gameplay? I'm not sure. The sequel includes all the maps from part 1. I had written this back when Hitman 2 came out:

tragabigzanda wrote:
Does anyone else play the Hitman games? There's a unique part of every map that I love...

Not sure how the game used to be, I gather the 2016 release was something of a re-boot. But there are numerous ways to tackle a map, and the objectives within those maps. The online portion of the game constantly updates you with new goals and challenges so that the maps provide very deep replayability...

My first attempt at a map is always to get the "stealth assassin" award, which means you're not seen; you wipe or trash any surveillance footage that may have picked you up; you kill your target and gather whatever intel you're supposed to pick up; and you escape without a trace. I find it's the best way to learn the basic layout of a map, the behavior of the NPCs, etc.

The game has a core feature wherein every time you have completed your objectives and are told to make your escape, music starts playing. It builds in volume and intensity until crescendoing just as you make your escape.

Anyway, last night I infiltrated a vacant beach house, scored some intel, and then began to panic as the primary target returned home with a ton of guards (side note: it's an interesting twist on the formula to have everyone arrive once you're in the middle of the map). The goal then became to assassinate the objective.

I followed her movements, noted some other opportunities I'd have to kill her via different methods in future play-throughs, then had a minuscule window of about 20 seconds in which she was alone on her balcony. I was disguised as one of her interior perimeter guards, walked right by her, and pushed her off the balcony. The guards below found her almost immediately and began their search of the premises, just as the music starts fading in.

I made a quick escape of the house, but there was a horde of guards scattered between the beach house and the zodiac I'd use to make my escape. So I created a diversion by blowing up a vehicle parked in the dunes. All the while, the music is building in intensity as the guards' dialogue let me know they were about to hone in on me.

The way the music climaxes just as I entered the zodiac was perfect.

I doubt anyone has read this far. Maybe MD has. But I'm just so pleased with this series for offering such a unique gaming experience. It's so different from any other stealth game out there, the NPCs have an abnormally high level of intelligence, and more than anything, the vibe of the series is just so...cool. I feel like a badass whenever I make that escape.

It occurs to me now that maybe I wrote about this before, when I was playing the 2016 version? Oh well. I hope someone checks out Hitman 2.

This just posted today:
To Get Into Hitman Games, Try Starting With Hitman 2
https://kotaku.com/to-get-into-hitman-g ... 1846093931

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 7:11 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

bada wrote:
I played them all.. didn't love them because I have trouble caring about a character who clearly you're supposed to sympathize with, but how can you when he apparently has no qualms with killing so many people? I'd like to see some sadness or shame about what he's been through. Also he just seems like a regular guy that somehow has all these abilities. It's too silly and inconsistent. But A Thief's End has to be the best of the series. But I also dislike Indian Jones so there's that

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 7:17 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Same except I feel bad for the Goombas in Mario.

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 7:27 pm 
The Master

tree_ wrote:
bada wrote:
I played them all.. didn't love them because I have trouble caring about a character who clearly you're supposed to sympathize with, but how can you when he apparently has no qualms with killing so many people? I'd like to see some sadness or shame about what he's been through. Also he just seems like a regular guy that somehow has all these abilities. It's too silly and inconsistent. But A Thief's End has to be the best of the series. But I also dislike Indian Jones so there's that

This critique applies to many many games.

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 7:33 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:
bada wrote:

I thought you'd say this. I mean that this series feels like it's trying to be grounded in reality with a normal good guy character in cut scenes who doesn't really seem to be the same guy you play as who kills millions of people without batting an eye. It would have worked better for me if the character seemed just a tad maniacal or the cut scenes were more surreal. I don't know what other games are like this. In a game like RDRII, it is completely plausible that the characters do what they do. Even if it is a bit far fetched and surreal, it still feels consistent.

Last edited by tree_ on Wed January 20, 2021 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 7:34 pm 
Poster of the Year

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Uncharted 3
Mario Kart 8

Mario Kart Wii is better.

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 7:51 pm 
The Master

tree_ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:
bada wrote:

I thought you'd say this. I mean that this series feels like it's trying to be grounded in reality with a normal good guy character in cut scenes who doesn't really seem to be the same guy you play as who kills millions of people without batting an eye. It would have worked better for me if the character seemed just a tad maniacal or the cut scenes were more surreal. I don't know what other games are like this. In a game like RDRII, it is completely plausible that the characters do what they do. Even if it is a bit far fetched and surreal, it still feels consistent.

It's a valid critique. But it's also a game with quite of a bit of supernatural elements.

How can you not like Indiana Jones?!

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 7:58 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:
bada wrote:

It's a valid critique. But it's also a game with quite of a bit of supernatural elements.

How can you not like Indiana Jones?!
The supernatural elements don't really have anything to do with the characters and the realistic feeling of the world. It's like, everything is normal, he sets off to steal a fortune, murders a bunch of people, everything is normal, and then some magical MacGuffins show up, murder more people, get kidnapped, normal guy, more magical MacGuffins and murder, normal guy gets the girl and money happy ending. These are the same reasons I don't like Indiana Jones. I don't feel invested. These games are like Indiana Jones with a much less interesting, less realized character and dumber plots.

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 8:01 pm 
Future Drummer

Bbbbbooooooooooo

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 8:04 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

i mean if they just changed the look of the world to be a little more surreal or cartoony it could have worked better.. just something other than what they did.. it doesn't work

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 8:08 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I can't relate.

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 8:09 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

i'm just a weirdo everyone loves the uncharted games.. i also don't like indiana jones or most superhero movies

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 11:10 pm 
Champion of RM

tree_ wrote:
i mean if they just changed the look of the world to be a little more surreal or cartoony it could have worked better.. just something other than what they did.. it doesn't work

No offense, but this is a truly terrible take.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games