Switch to full style
A better alternative to going outside
Post a reply

Re: Ghost Of Tsushima (July 17th, 2020)

Sat July 18, 2020 12:18 pm

Clark Griswold wrote:started this last night.

Is it groundbreaking? No
Is it the best game of the year? No
Is it (so far) the best sandbox game I've ever played? No
Is it bad ass and all sorts of fun? Yes

It is so easy to jump in and play this game. Usually open worlds are a fuggin chore to acclimate (HUD, menu screens, up grade system, etc.) The developers took special care to make all of this super easy, probably my favorite takeaway after one night with the game. Combat is fun and doesn't feel overwhelming. Kind of like a cross between Spiderman and Sekiro. Main story so far is compelling. I've progressed the main story and opened up the map to start chosing my own path, but tinkered around only with side quests and those so far satisfying in that they are building out character attributes.

And its really pretty to look at.

Thanks for posting this. I'm looking forward to getting lost in this world for awhile. SpiderMan meets Sekiro sounds about perfect right now.

Sat July 18, 2020 1:20 pm

Clark Griswold wrote:started this last night.

Is it groundbreaking? No
Is it the best game of the year? No
Is it (so far) the best sandbox game I've ever played? No
Is it bad ass and all sorts of fun? Yes

It is so easy to jump in and play this game. Usually open worlds are a fuggin chore to acclimate (HUD, menu screens, up grade system, etc.) The developers took special care to make all of this super easy, probably my favorite takeaway after one night with the game. Combat is fun and doesn't feel overwhelming. Kind of like a cross between Spiderman and Sekiro. Main story so far is compelling. I've progressed the main story and opened up the map to start chosing my own path, but tinkered around only with side quests and those so far satisfying in that they are building out character attributes.

And its really pretty to look at.

This is great, pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. I'm quite frankly a rather lackluster gamer from a gameplay perspective so I'm relieved to hear the combat is not overwhelming to learn. I didn't get a chance to start last night and debating whether I should just finish up TLOU2 before I dive in.

Sat July 18, 2020 1:31 pm

Revelator wrote: debating whether I should just finish up TLOU2 before I dive in.

Finish LOU2 first for sure. That masterpiece deserves undivided attention.

Wed July 22, 2020 6:11 pm

Weird thing in my area with the "Launch Edition" being sold out everywhere, but only one store having the "standard" version. I picked it up last night and played through the introduction.

Fri July 24, 2020 9:07 pm

Monkey_Driven wrote:Weird thing in my area with the "Launch Edition" being sold out everywhere, but only one store having the "standard" version. I picked it up last night and played through the introduction.

What comes with the Launch Edition?

Been taking my time with this, exploring and clearing out the map methodically. I've built Jin up pretty well and I havent really pounded the main missions too deep yet. In fact, I feel like i was getting too good, so I bumped the difficulty to "hard". I NEVER do that with games, because I usually suck and just want to progress a story without getting frustrated. But "hard" seems just like the right amount of challenge for me. I'm 2 leaders away from unlocking the last stance, and again, this game is bad ass fun. Loving it.

Tue July 28, 2020 1:46 pm

Clark Griswold wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:Weird thing in my area with the "Launch Edition" being sold out everywhere, but only one store having the "standard" version. I picked it up last night and played through the introduction.

What comes with the Launch Edition?

Been taking my time with this, exploring and clearing out the map methodically. I've built Jin up pretty well and I havent really pounded the main missions too deep yet. In fact, I feel like i was getting too good, so I bumped the difficulty to "hard". I NEVER do that with games, because I usually suck and just want to progress a story without getting frustrated. But "hard" seems just like the right amount of challenge for me. I'm 2 leaders away from unlocking the last stance, and again, this game is bad ass fun. Loving it.

I too am exploring more than playing the main missions. There doesn't seem to be a lot of areas to "discover" beyond a basic set of collectibles, but the environment is so beautiful that I don't care. A very meditative game between the pretty solid sword combat.

Fri August 07, 2020 7:10 pm

Things are starting to get pretty repetitive, but the core swordplay combat is still a ton of fun. The platforming sections with the hidden shrines are a real highlight.

Fri August 07, 2020 10:45 pm

Have you completed the story?

I haven't gotten very far into it yet, but I fully admit you were right--the game is beautiful. A little buggy here and there but overall a graphical stunner. Combat is a blast too, I honestly wasn't sure what to expect as these samurai games are usually a bit too difficult and frustrating for me. This one's just right. Can we stop and appreciate how terrific the soundtrack/score is, too?

Fri August 07, 2020 11:29 pm

Revelator wrote:Have you completed the story?

I haven't gotten very far into it yet, but I fully admit you were right--the game is beautiful. A little buggy here and there but overall a graphical stunner. Combat is a blast too, I honestly wasn't sure what to expect as these samurai games are usually a bit too difficult and frustrating for me. This one's just right. Can we stop and appreciate how terrific the soundtrack/score is, too?

I'm still in Act Two.

Mon August 17, 2020 4:40 pm

Other developers should take note of the minimal HUD and guiding wind feature.

Also,

Mon August 17, 2020 4:55 pm

I like a good HUD

Mon August 17, 2020 6:04 pm

tree_ wrote:I like a good HUD

They can become a little too much in open world games that encourage exploration.

Tue August 18, 2020 2:30 pm

Monkey_Driven wrote:Things are starting to get pretty repetitive, but the core swordplay combat is still a ton of fun. The platforming sections with the hidden shrines are a real highlight.

Finished the game over the weekend. I agree about how repetative it can get, especially at the end of an act. But damn, was that game a ton of fun. I got so powerful by the end it was just a pure joy going into a Mongrol camp an fuggin shit UP. Anyway, that online component looks intriguing. Hope they flesh out a complete part 2 for the PS5.

Tue August 18, 2020 2:33 pm

I think the big deterrent keeping me disinterested in Tsushima is the bitter memory of Second Son. Something about the aesthetics of that game turn me off of this one.

Tue August 18, 2020 2:48 pm

Clark Griswold wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:Things are starting to get pretty repetitive, but the core swordplay combat is still a ton of fun. The platforming sections with the hidden shrines are a real highlight.

Finished the game over the weekend. I agree about how repetative it can get, especially at the end of an act. But damn, was that game a ton of fun. I got so powerful by the end it was just a pure joy going into a Mongrol camp an fuggin shit UP. Anyway, that online component looks intriguing. Hope they flesh out a complete part 2 for the PS5.

The setting helped a lot in terms of keeping me interested when things got too repetitive. I'm doing some collectible cleanup now that I finished the main game.

It's gotten many comparisons to the older Assassin Creed games, but I enjoyed this a lot more than that series.

Mon October 05, 2020 2:35 pm

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/05/ghost-of-tsushima-legends-and-new-game-out-october-16/

Free update coming soon. Some exciting stuff here.

Tue December 22, 2020 4:27 am

Lovin It so far

Tue December 22, 2020 5:09 am

Still looking forward to this

Tue December 22, 2020 12:34 pm

I've been playing the shit out of this game for the last few days. I mentioned it in another thread, it looks freaking beautiful on the PS5 with the 4K/60fps game boost. It shouldn't have taken me this long to get into this game, but I am glad I saved inadvertently saved it for the PS5.

Thu December 24, 2020 10:20 pm

30h in

starting Act 2 yet :lol: :lol:

this is huge
Post a reply