The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

Post subject: Xbox
PostPosted: Thu December 09, 2021 5:46 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Think Xbox deserves a thread.

Got Halo Infinite yesterday, and that really felt like a return to form for the series. Much better than Halo 5.

Here’s a list of top games: https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/best-xbox-games-of-2021-according-to-metacritic/1100-6498673/

Post subject: Re: Xbox
PostPosted: Thu December 09, 2021 6:59 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

The only exclusive I care about is Forza. Halo is just okay.

Playstation and Nintendo both shit all over Xbox imo.

PostPosted: Thu December 09, 2021 7:11 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Thu December 09, 2021 7:14 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Ello Sailor wrote:
The only exclusive I care about is Forza. Halo is just okay.

Playstation and Nintendo both shit all over Xbox imo.

If you are talking about the Halo franchise in general, I couldn’t disagree more. Halo is one of the best franchises ever, and far superior to Forza (although as an owner of most games in both, I do know they are very different games).

Halo 5 was disappointing though.

PostPosted: Thu December 09, 2021 8:08 am 
AnalLog

New Halo is great. Campaign is a lot of fun. Can’t wait for slayer playlists online though.

Gamepass had a hell of a second half with Psychonauts 2, Forza, and Halo.

PostPosted: Thu December 09, 2021 3:59 pm 
The Master

Xbox has been killing it lately with GamePass, Smart Delivery, their messaging (other than their terrible console naming conventions), and the rollout of their new consoles. They've had a long first party software drought, but that is certainly changing starting this year. If I had more free time to play games, I would consider buying an Xbox for the first time.

That being said, I have some serious concerns about game preservation and the perceived value of individual games with all of these new services.

Last edited by Monkey_Driven on Thu December 09, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu December 09, 2021 4:01 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I used to be. Xbox user....I had the 360 and it was such a cool machine.

PostPosted: Thu December 09, 2021 4:19 pm 
Champion of RM

Monkey_Driven wrote:

That being said, I have some serious concerns about game preservation and the perceived value of individual games with all of these new services.

I'm not sure I follow you exactly, however, isn't MS the only console gaming company that has publicly stated they actually care about preservation, compatibility and history. I'm not sure how any gamer can't love those statements.

PostPosted: Thu December 09, 2021 4:23 pm 
The Master

CopperTom wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

I'm not sure I follow you exactly, however, isn't MS the only console gaming company that has publicly stated they actually care about preservation, compatibility and history. I'm not sure how any gamer can't love those statements.

A physical version of their biggest 2021 game that requires a digital download to even make the game playable doesn't exactly follow this mantra. For the most part, they are doing great! But they can also remove things from servers when it no longer makes business sense. Other companies are guilty of this too, don't get me wrong. I just fear for the future of being mostly a streaming, service based medium.

PostPosted: Thu December 09, 2021 4:35 pm 
Champion of RM

[quote="Monkey_Driven"][quote="CopperTom"][quote="Monkey_Driven"]

That being said, I have some serious concerns about game preservation and the perceived value of individual games with all of these new services.[/quote]

I'm not sure I follow you exactly, however, isn't MS the only console gaming company that has publicly stated they actually care about preservation, compatibility and history. I'm not sure how any gamer can't love those statements.[/quote]

[b]A physical version of their biggest 2021 game that requires a digital download to even make the game playable doesn't exactly follow this mantra[/b]. For the most part, they are doing great! But they can also remove things from servers when it no longer makes business sense. Other companies are guilty of this too, don't get me wrong. I just fear for the future of being mostly a streaming, service based medium.[/quote]

I hate that so much too. I think my download last night was 48gb. I don't think XSX enhancements are on any disc. IMO, that is the single worst thing about modern gaming. Sony does this too. If I play physical Nintendo releases the rest of my life, I'll never download that much data combined.

PostPosted: Thu December 09, 2021 5:14 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I only play digital. No more discs.

PostPosted: Thu December 09, 2021 5:19 pm 
The Master

Anders wrote:
I only play digital. No more discs.

I have a few buddies with PS5s, so I'm strategic with what I buy physically or digitally. It's nice to be able to share games and sell something if I don't want to play it again. I'm probably 50/50 right now.

PostPosted: Thu December 09, 2021 9:16 pm 
AnalLog

I bought a Series S last spring and have no regrets. It takes me 2-3 months to get through a game anymore if I finish it at all, so Gamepass is perfect. I don't miss discs at all.

Currently playing AC: Valhalla and It Takes 2. Halo next.

PostPosted: Thu December 09, 2021 9:29 pm 
The Master

ghost wrote:
I bought a Series S last spring and have no regrets. It takes me 2-3 months to get through a game anymore if I finish it at all, so Gamepass is perfect. I don't miss discs at all.

Currently playing AC: Valhalla and It Takes 2. Halo next.

I feel this

PostPosted: Fri December 10, 2021 2:17 am 
AnalLog

I've been a lifelong Playstation guy, but just received my first Xbox (Series X) about 7 days ago and haven't had much time to game just yet but eager to jump into Forza this weekend. I think it's a matter of taste--I'm a huge fan of the quality third person action/adventure games so PS will always win for me on the exclusive/first-party front.

Looking forward to trying out Halo, definitely Forza (haven't played a good racing game in YEARS) and have hopes for the Perfect Dark remake coming down the line...I used to be a big N64 guy before PS1 hit the market.

Only seven days in, I prefer the PS UI to Xbox, but Game Pass does shit all over anything PS Plus has to offer (though the PS Plus Collection was a nice touch when PS5 came out last year). Interested to see what Sony does to compete next year.

PostPosted: Fri December 10, 2021 2:23 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

I'm still probably a year and a half or more away from upgrading to current gen, and I do feel hamstrung because I've been PS3/4 since 2013 so I have lots of stuff saved on PS+ and all, but I am very tempted to jump ship to Xbox.

PostPosted: Fri December 10, 2021 2:41 am 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
I'm still probably a year and a half or more away from upgrading to current gen, and I do feel hamstrung because I've been PS3/4 since 2013 so I have lots of stuff saved on PS+ and all, but I am very tempted to jump ship to Xbox.

Consoles might actually be available by then.

PostPosted: Fri December 10, 2021 5:05 pm 
AnalLog

Are there any good co-op games on Game Pass that a 7 y/o could handle? My daughter and I started It Takes 2 and were really kicking ass up until the toolbox boss battle. Trying to time jumps while adjusting the camera while avoiding falling nails that pin you to the ground was a bit much for her.

PostPosted: Fri December 10, 2021 6:05 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Simple Torture wrote:

I’m in the same but opposite place. I had the PS1/2 from 96 to about 08. Then I got the Xbox 360, and later One/One X. Still play the One X, and bought Fifa 22 and Halo Infinite in the past few weeks.

Now I’m thinking about getting the PS5. A couple of friends are thinking about getting it, and it sounds exciting to me with something completely new. I can still keep the One X for now, although I imagine after a while with a new machine, the One X will start feeling old.

That said, I have been very happy with my Xbox machines. It helped make the 10s a lot better.

PostPosted: Fri December 10, 2021 6:14 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

ghost wrote:
Are there any good co-op games on Game Pass that a 7 y/o could handle? My daughter and I started It Takes 2 and were really kicking ass up until the toolbox boss battle. Trying to time jumps while adjusting the camera while avoiding falling nails that pin you to the ground was a bit much for her.

Not sure, but here’s a list of good co-op games on Xbox gamepass:
https://www.gamespew.com/2021/12/best-couch-co-op-games-on-xbox-game-pass/

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games