The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

Which of the new systems is best?
PS4 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Xbox One 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
Nintendo Switch? 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject: Which of the new systems is best?
PostPosted: Fri January 18, 2019 7:17 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I am kind of thinking about getting one.

Post subject: Re: Which of the new systems is best?
PostPosted: Fri January 18, 2019 7:18 pm 
The Master

In terms of graphics, Xbox One X, hands down.

PostPosted: Fri January 18, 2019 7:18 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

depends on what kind of gamer girl you are

do you want to play maddening fun cute colorful games? get switch

do you want deep, dark, soul-destroying immersive experiences? get a ps4

PostPosted: Fri January 18, 2019 7:19 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

That's kind of a tricky question without a real answer. Look at which system exclusives you're most excited about and go with that one.

PostPosted: Fri January 18, 2019 7:37 pm 
The Master

mf wrote:
That's kind of a tricky question without a real answer. Look at which system exclusives you're most excited about and go with that one.

This.

Also, think about how you play games. Do you care about having the best graphics possible? Do you play with friends? Do you want to play online? What kind of TV is in your living room? Do you want to play older games on it? etc...

PostPosted: Fri January 18, 2019 8:02 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Really happy with the Xbox One X, the amount of games to choose from, the quality of the games and the graphics, the offers available, the interface, the controller. It’s got everything.

The Switch is great because it is both handheld and for playing on a tv, it’s got all the Nintendo games, with great playability. Fewer offers, fewer games, fewer apps, graphics are not at the same level as the X. It’s a really fun console though, and if you would like to play on a handheld, and like Nintendo games, this could be the best choice for you.

PostPosted: Fri January 18, 2019 8:10 pm 
The Master

And if you wait a bit, I have a feeling Microsoft and Sony will cut prices on all of their consoles this year. Would not surprise me to see the XBox OneS (these names are so terrible) and the base PS4 priced at 199 bundled with a game or two.

PostPosted: Mon January 21, 2019 4:46 pm 
AnalLog

I’ve got a PS4 and an XB1. PS4 def has better exclusives but I’d give everything else to XB1. The controller is a million times better and so is the interface. You can run multiple apps at once and turn it off and on and start right back up in a game. The PS4 dashboard drives me insane. Can’t stand it. There’s no denying that PS4 has better exclusive games so it’s really just a matter of what you prefer.

PostPosted: Mon January 21, 2019 5:01 pm 
The Master

scrub12 wrote:
I’ve got a PS4 and an XB1. PS4 def has better exclusives but I’d give everything else to XB1. The controller is a million times better and so is the interface. You can run multiple apps at once and turn it off and on and start right back up in a game. The PS4 dashboard drives me insane. Can’t stand it. There’s no denying that PS4 has better exclusive games so it’s really just a matter of what you prefer.

PS4 has rest mode too. I use it all the time.

The UI is a bit clunky however, I agree.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2019 3:52 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Switch for adaptability, travel, and motion-based play

X-Box for ease of use, multiplayer and the controller

PS4 for exclusive games and VR (if you don’t have a computer-based setup)

Computer for strategy games, inventive and original gaming experiments, and for being the best way to play Subnautica

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2019 3:55 pm 
The Master

This may be a controversial opinion, but I've never really liked XBox controllers. Something about the triggers and analog sticks don't vibe with non-FPS games.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2019 4:00 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Wouldn’t you say that the Nintendo Pro Controller is a sort of XBOX clone?

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2019 4:03 pm 
The Master

Anders wrote:

Yes, but the feel of the buttons is much better. I don't mind the layout of the XBox controller. I've just never cared for how the buttons feel or respond to my inputs.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2019 4:07 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Anders wrote:

Yes, but the feel of the buttons is much better. I don't mind the layout of the XBox controller. I've just never cared for how the buttons feel or respond to my inputs.

I guess they are a little bit lighter to the touch and higher up, than on the pro controller. I like both.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2019 4:20 pm 
The Master

Anders wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Anders wrote:

I guess they are a little bit lighter to the touch and higher up, than on the pro controller. I like both.

It all comes down to personal preference of course.

PostPosted: Thu January 24, 2019 9:42 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

When my girlfriend was away on travels for a month, and I had a week off around New Years Eve, I played Xbox nearly every day. I had just bought Red Dead Redemption 2, and had other new games like Monster Hunter and FIFA 19 to play. I still have a few games there that I bought during the last few months, that I have barely started (I don't usually buy too many games, but there have been so many cool offers lately). However, now that the holidays are over, and my girlfriend is back. I've found it easier to play on the Switch. You want to relax after work, and someone else is using the tv? No problem, use the Switch handheld. Or let's say she's at work, and I'm watching some sports in the background. Again, it's so easy to play the Switch handheld with really high quality games and graphics, and you don't even have to turn off the sports. Then I can put it into its slot, and boom it's on the tv. I went on a cruise this autumn. Brought the Switch with me. Didn't play a lot obviously, there are other things to do. But when I felt like it, it was no problem laying in bed and playing some Mario Kart.

If the Switch was only handheld, it would be the greatest handheld machine ever. But that it can be used both ways, realy deserves some praise here. Now the Xbox and PS4 do have more games, more offers and greater overall graphics, but the Switch exclusives are also great if you are into those games (Odyssey, Breath Of The Wild, Mario U, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart, Super Smash).

PostPosted: Thu January 24, 2019 3:02 pm 
The Master

Anders wrote:
When my girlfriend was away on travels for a month, and I had a week off around New Years Eve, I played Xbox nearly every day. I had just bought Red Dead Redemption 2, and had other new games like Monster Hunter and FIFA 19 to play. I still have a few games there that I bought during the last few months, that I have barely started (I don't usually buy too many games, but there have been so many cool offers lately). However, now that the holidays are over, and my girlfriend is back. I've found it easier to play on the Switch. You want to relax after work, and someone else is using the tv? No problem, use the Switch handheld. Or let's say she's at work, and I'm watching some sports in the background. Again, it's so easy to play the Switch handheld with really high quality games and graphics, and you don't even have to turn off the sports. Then I can put it into its slot, and boom it's on the tv. I went on a cruise this autumn. Brought the Switch with me. Didn't play a lot obviously, there are other things to do. But when I felt like it, it was no problem laying in bed and playing some Mario Kart.

If the Switch was only handheld, it would be the greatest handheld machine ever. But that it can be used both ways, realy deserves some praise here. Now the Xbox and PS4 do have more games, more offers and greater overall graphics, but the Switch exclusives are also great if you are into those games (Odyssey, Breath Of The Wild, Mario U, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart, Super Smash).

I know I've been playing a lot of the Switch in handheld mode while my wife watches her trashy Bravo shows.

PostPosted: Thu January 24, 2019 3:09 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

My wife really wants a Switch so i'm thinking i might pick one up if there is a price drop any time soon.

PostPosted: Thu January 24, 2019 3:34 pm 
The Master

mf wrote:
My wife really wants a Switch so i'm thinking i might pick one up if there is a price drop any time soon.

I wouldn't count on a price drop (it was the highest selling console of 2018 at its current price), but keep your eye out for a bundle that is appealing.

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games