The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

Post subject: Post-Random Video Game Thoughts You've
PostPosted: Wed December 26, 2018 3:25 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

At this point in the history of time, they should stop calling them 'video games'. But, what, then? Mario games always feel 'gamey'... but things like RDR2 etc feel more like experiences. What will they be called in the future, do you think?

Last edited by tree_ on Thu March 14, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Post Random Video Game Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Wed December 26, 2018 3:33 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I think it's the interactivity and the control you have (within the set parameters the developers choose) that make them "games." The same principles make soccer, Dungeons and Dragons, Plinko, Settlers of Catan, Magic: The Gathering, and Shoots & Ladders games as well. I think what is much more plausible is the word "video" dropping away if VR catches on or some other technology that we don't even see coming pops up.

PostPosted: Wed December 26, 2018 3:42 pm 
The Beef

People are already using phrases like "digital games" and "gaming apps".

PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2019 5:35 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

This bums me out

PostPosted: Mon March 04, 2019 12:49 am 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

I have no idea who Notch is, but one glimpse at that guy’s Twitter page makes him seem more autistic and retarded than the people he’s incoherently rambling about.

PostPosted: Mon March 04, 2019 12:57 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

He is the Minecraft guy.

PostPosted: Mon March 04, 2019 4:01 am 
The Master

Notch is an infamous lunatic. He made billions off Minecraft and now gets off saying insane, horrible shit on Twitter, mostly of the alt-right variety.

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2019 5:04 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Sekiro looks intriguing but I'm having a big issue since my immersion into RDR2 for the past 4ish months. How the character I control interacts with the world is very important to me now, to the point that if they move, hop, roll around, interact with the world unrealistically, it's hard for me to keep playing. Horizon is one example and this looks like another. I hope either I can get over this or video games start becoming more like RDR2.

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2019 5:08 pm 
Champion of RM

Horizon is by far the best and most interesting new IP of the past 5 years.

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2019 5:10 pm 
The Master

tree_ wrote:
Sekiro looks intriguing but I'm having a big issue since my immersion into RDR2 for the past 4ish months. How the character I control interacts with the world is very important to me now, to the point that if they move, hop, roll around, interact with the world unrealistically, it's hard for me to keep playing. Horizon is one example and this looks like another. I hope either I can get over this or video games start becoming more like RDR2.

They're different types of games. More arcadey movement is totally fine if it serves the gameplay. I hope you get past it too. Lots of different types of games out there.

I can't remember, do you like platformers? I've always felt those are excellent palate cleansers between big games.

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2019 5:11 pm 
The Master

CopperTom wrote:
Horizon is by far the best and most interesting new IP of the past 5 years.

For a AAA title, yes. Absolutely yes.

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2019 5:13 pm 
Champion of RM

Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:

They're different types of games. More arcadey movement is totally fine if it serves the gameplay. I hope you get past it too. Lots of different types of games out there.

I can't remember, do you like platformers? I've always felt those are excellent palate cleansers between big games.

Telltale Games were a great break between big games too. RIP.

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2019 5:17 pm 
The Master

CopperTom wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Telltale Games were a great break between big games too. RIP.

Sports and/or puzzle games too.

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2019 5:19 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:

I understand this. I do like platformers. 2D Marios are still fun for me. My problem is with the uncanny valley, say, in games like Horizon, where in some instances it is quite realistic, then in others, you're hopping, rolling, and interacting with the world in a very strange, unrealistic (arcadey) way. I'd be fine if the whole aesthetic were arcadey, but it's not.

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2019 5:23 pm 
The Master

tree_ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:

I understand this. I do like platformers. 2D Marios are still fun for me. My problem is with the uncanny valley, say, in games like Horizon, where in some instances it is quite realistic, then in others, you're hopping, rolling, and interacting with the world in a very strange, unrealistic (arcadey) way. I'd be fine if the whole aesthetic were arcadey, but it's not.

It's a game with robot dinosaurs. I understand about the immersion being broke when transitioning between cutscenes and gameplay or just your general movement and interaction with the world, but this seems like a complaint that can be made against any game, including RDR2.

Last edited by Monkey_Driven on Fri March 08, 2019 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2019 5:29 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:

It's a game with robot dinosaurs.
The game is going for a realistic aesthetic in almost every aspect, visually... and dramatically, the stakes are supposed to feel high because Alloy is supposed to feel real. And this is an interesting take on the future, one that can happen. Robot dinosaurs are very possible, if not likely. The singularity is nigh. I want to learn about and interact with the world and can't immerse myself because Alloy and the other characters don't interact with it the way I want them to. It's almost like if Mario were jumping and rolling around the world. It just doesn't fit.

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2019 5:34 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Arthur Morgan can slow down time with his mind and fire off 10 perfectly placed head shots in half a second. Even realistic games stretch the limits of reality to serve a purpose.

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2019 5:37 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

mf wrote:
Arthur Morgan can slow down time with his mind and fire off 10 perfectly placed head shots in half a second. Even realistic games stretch the limits of reality to serve a purpose.
This works for me. It's a good way of experiencing the high gun-shootin/slingin skill level of the character. I don't have this skill, but Arthur does and I'm him now.

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2019 5:39 pm 
The Master

mf wrote:

And can only move at two speeds. An extremely slow walk and a half jog. And can only interact with items that have a button prompt.

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2019 5:41 pm 
Champion of RM

tree_ wrote:
mf wrote:
This works for me. It's a good way of experiencing the high gun-shootin/slingin skill level of the character. I don't have this skill, but Arthur does and I'm him now.

That logic can be applied to any character in any game ever.

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games