The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

???
PS1 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
PS2 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
PS3 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
PS4 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
N64 19%  19%  [ 4 ]
GameCube 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Virtual Boy 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
SNES 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Commodore 64 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Sega Megadrive 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
NES 19%  19%  [ 4 ]
Atari 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Xbox 360 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Atari 2600 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 21
 Post subject: Re: What was the best system?
PostPosted: Tue December 04, 2018 5:30 pm 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
I have a PS4 but I have barely scratched the surface of what the system can do.

Honestly, I think the developers have barely scratched the surface. Way too many games that rely on established mechanics with incremental increases in sound and visual, but very few games that actually feel innovative. Maybe I'd feel differently if I had the VR setup?

PostPosted: Tue December 04, 2018 5:32 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Honestly, I think the developers have barely scratched the surface. Way too many games that rely on established mechanics with incremental increases in sound and visual, but very few games that actually feel innovative. Maybe I'd feel differently if I had the VR setup?

Seems like this generation's legacy will be "games as services" and more lived in open worlds. Triple A games are so expensive to make most developers play it safe.

PostPosted: Tue December 04, 2018 5:38 pm 
The Master

Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Seems like this generation's legacy will be "games as services" and more lived in open worlds. Triple A games are so expensive to make most developers play it safe.

Yeah, that sounds right to me. And I'm not knocking the current generation, I'm enjoying my PS4 just fine. But it's rare that I play a game that really makes me saw "WOW!". Most of my reactions range from "meh" to "yeah, ok I'll play this one for a bit."

PostPosted: Tue December 04, 2018 5:51 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Yeah, that sounds right to me. And I'm not knocking the current generation, I'm enjoying my PS4 just fine. But it's rare that I play a game that really makes me saw "WOW!". Most of my reactions range from "meh" to "yeah, ok I'll play this one for a bit."

There's only so much wow factor that can be manufactured with the traditional controller/TV interface.

PostPosted: Tue December 04, 2018 5:58 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I liked the PS3 so much that I will almost certainly set it back up in our bedroom after we've completed moving the twins into their own room.

PostPosted: Tue December 04, 2018 5:59 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Wife will love that

PostPosted: Tue December 04, 2018 6:02 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Since we've started sleep training the twins, she has spent 2/3 nights sleeping on the couch after falling asleep watching Netflix. I think I will be ok.

PostPosted: Tue December 04, 2018 6:07 pm 
The Master

[quotes tree's "ruddo doesn't understand teamwork post", immediately ducks for cover]

PostPosted: Tue December 04, 2018 6:08 pm 
The Master

Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

There's only so much wow factor that can be manufactured with the traditional controller/TV interface.

I don't know man (literally, I don't know...). But I occasionally read articles on Kotaku about game designers -- usually board game designers -- and I'm often blown away by how they conceive of and execute a game's mechanics. But so much of the modern video game titles are just rehashes of concepts that proved successful over the last 20 years. For every XCom, there's a million Tomb Raiders, you know?

PostPosted: Tue December 04, 2018 7:08 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

I don't know man (literally, I don't know...). But I occasionally read articles on Kotaku about game designers -- usually board game designers -- and I'm often blown away by how they conceive of and execute a game's mechanics. But so much of the modern video game titles are just rehashes of concepts that proved successful over the last 20 years. For every XCom, there's a million Tomb Raiders, you know?

Not to downplay board game designers, but video game design/coding can be substantially more complicated and expensive.

PostPosted: Tue December 04, 2018 7:11 pm 
The Master

Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Not to downplay board game designers, but video game design/coding can be substantially more complicated and expensive.

Design and coding are totally different things though. The former is creative/conceptual, the latter is fairly rote (I acknowledge there can be an art to coding). Obviously the two have to intersect for a successful, playable title. But I think the larger problems come not from the developers, but the publishers, like with EA/DICE. I don't blame the coders at DICE for ruining BFV, I blame EA for running such a crappy publishing timeline that the devs are forced to release a half-finished game. Same goes for all the other tired titled out there: I'm sure the devs would love extra time to tweak their games to something remarkable, but I don't get the sense that the money people really give a shit, as long as it's on shelves in time for Xmas.

PostPosted: Tue December 04, 2018 7:50 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Design and coding are totally different things though. The former is creative/conceptual, the latter is fairly rote (I acknowledge there can be an art to coding). Obviously the two have to intersect for a successful, playable title. But I think the larger problems come not from the developers, but the publishers, like with EA/DICE. I don't blame the coders at DICE for ruining BFV, I blame EA for running such a crappy publishing timeline that the devs are forced to release a half-finished game. Same goes for all the other tired titled out there: I'm sure the devs would love extra time to tweak their games to something remarkable, but I don't get the sense that the money people really give a shit, as long as it's on shelves in time for Xmas.

We're on the same page here. The confluence of design, coding to make the game feel and play right, and the business side makes the art of making games extremely complicated.

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games