The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

Vote for a Winner
DurdenCommaTyler 45%  45%  [ 13 ]
Monkey_Driven 55%  55%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 29
 Post subject: First Round: DurdenCommaTyler vs. Monkey_Driven: Durds Wins!
PostPosted: Tue October 30, 2018 2:21 am 
The Master

DurdenCommaTyler vs. Monkey_Driven

DurdenCommaTyler
1. Contra (Arcade)
2. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out (NES)
3. The Legend of Zelda (NES)
4. Resident Evil (PS1)
5. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (PC)
6. Ms. Pac-Man (Arcade)
7. Tomb Raider (PS3)
8. The Sims (PC)
9. Words with Friends (iOS)
10. Madden 18 (PS4)

Monkey_Driven
1. Tetris (GameBoy)
2. Metroid Prime (GameCube)
3. Super Mario 64 (N64)
4. Mass Effect 2 (Xbox 360)
5. Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube)
6. Red Dead Redemption (PS3)
7. Rock Band 2 (PS3)
8. Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
9. Wii Sports (Wii)
10. F Zero GX (Gamecube)

Click for Videos and Descriptions:
Spoiler: show
DurdenCommaTyler

I've never been a HUGE gamer. But most of my gaming was back in grade school and junior high. Pretty much arcade to NES to PS1 was the pinnacle. Around the PS2, I started to move away from adventure and RPG games into almost exclusively sports/fighting games. I've owned every version of the Playstation and currently have a PS4. I owned an XBox for one week before my apartment got robbed. The only game I owned/played for that system was Madden.

1. Contra (Arcade)
Contra isn't my all time favorite game. But it's in the top 5. And I played that game at the arcade more than almost any other game across my lifetime. Hell, I'll still play it if/when I come across it at a bowling alley or arcade or whatever. And when I had an NES I used to play the hell out of it. We would have tournaments at sleepovers. And of course, it's cemented in history with the "cheat code." Which, to me, gives it tremendous historical value and added points as a game.

2. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out (NES)
Punch-Out is the first game I ever beat. And I was the first of my friends to beat it. I love the silliness of the game. I love the music and the "training scenes." It's hokey and infinitely playable. It's also the game I used to first try to teach my dad how to play video games. He was terrible at it but it was cool bonding time for us.

3. The Legend of Zelda (NES)
The Legend of Zelda is my favorite game of all time. I can't believe I was able to grab it in the third round! I probably would have taken it in R2 but I thought someone had already snagged it. I had to look back and double check. This game literally has zero flaws. Today, the graphics are terrible, sure, compared to what we've grown used to. But the game play, the maps, the storytelling, the characters, everything! This game is perfect. I used to be so obsessed with Link, too. I would grab a plastic sword and "play" Link in the backyard all the time, going on my own imaginary adventures. It was so awesome.

4. Resident Evil (PS1)
Resident Evil was my favorite game on PS1 for a long, long time. The only thing that ever topped it was Tomb Raider. This was another one that we used to play during sleepovers. This game was fun to play but it was also really fun to watch others play. It's the first game I really remember watching like a movie. The dialogue is TERRIBLE but somehow that always added to the charm. I still remember (and I haven't played this thing in 15 years or so) that part where the guy gives Jill the lock pick... "It might be helpful, Jill, if you, the master of unlocking, take it with you." Fucking. Brilliant.

5. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (PC)
Technically, Knights of the Old Republic is the only game that breaks my rule. I haven't actually played it myself. But I've spent hours sitting next to friends as they played it AND I've re-watched the game on YouTube a handful of times. I adore Star Wars and really wanted it represented on my team. So, this one is a bit of a cheat, but it still works because it reflects me and my tastes so well. It also reminds me how much I used to fucking LOVE RPG's. I've never been a "1st person shooter" type of guy. Even Goldeneye gave me a headache and made me sick to my stomach. And I liked that game! But this is way more my jam, especially when I was younger.

6. Ms. Pac-Man (Arcade)
Ms. Pac-Man is one of the best games of all time. Ever. Period. How this game lasted until the 6th goddamn round, I have no idea. I don't really need to defend it too much, I don't think. I grew up on the game and I still love it. There's a pizza place (that just closed) around the corner from my apartment that had a table-top version of this game. I'd eat a slice, drink a beer and play MP-M until 1 am. Great late night game. Great early morning game. Great kids game. Great adult game. Great game!

7. Tomb Raider (PS3)
Tomb Raider... I mean... this is the sweet spot. I would have grabbed it much earlier except no one was taking any of game from the franchise. I guess I'm all alone on this one but this is exactly the kind of adventure game I want to play. Lara kicks ass. I like puzzles. I like adventure. Great graphics. Great cut scenes. Infinitely playable. I've been in love with this franchise since the jump. It's the only franchise that I even tried to keep up with. I haven't played all of them but I've played a lot of them. And I was obsessed with the first one back in the day. I picked this one instead because: A) I wanted to vary the platform and B) the original just doesn't look/play as good now. If we had been allowed to draft whole franchises, this would have been my #1.

8. The Sims (PC)
My roommate used to play The Sims all the time. She actually missed class more than a few times because of this game. She made a house with me, her and our 3rd roommate and played it forever. The way she used to laugh at the game.... the sheer joy it brought her... I can't even describe it. I like the game and played it obsessively for a few months but Angela was the Queen of The Sims. I dedicate this pick to her.

9. Words with Friends (iOS)
Words with Friends is literally one of only two mobile games I've ever played. I suck at it. I don't think I've ever won a round. But I love playing and we had to have a mobile game. So…

10. Madden 18 (PS4)
Since you expanded to 10, I knew I'd take one of these games. I have to. Because they are my entire video game life anymore. It wouldn't be my team without it. GO CHIEFS!

Monkey_Driven

Video games have been a part of my life since I was 3 years old. My grandma gave my family an NES for Christmas. It has been my entertainment medium of choice since. Gaming is the perfect marriage of technology, art, design, music, and storytelling. I feel like my selections best represent my personal preferences and the larger impact/influence on the industry. They are a bit post-2000 heavy because that is when my personal tastes started to develop and when I still had a lot of free time to play.

1. Tetris (GameBoy)
The best puzzle game of all time. This game created the casual gamer. I bet there are very few people in the developed world that have not played some version of this game or a title highly influenced by it.
This is the first game I remember dreaming about. It is so simple, yet so incredibly addicting. Definitely an example of a “trance-like” game where you can just get into the zone while the pieces are falling at a rapid pace. I remember getting this for the GameBoy and my dad immediately buying a giant pack of batteries from Sam’s Club since he knew he would be all over it too. We went through that pack very quickly.

2. Metroid Prime (GameCube)
The best 3D “Metroidvania” game. I think I’ve 100 percented it four or five times. The atmosphere, worldbuilding, powerups, pacing, the variety of landscapes, music, etc. are all immaculately done. One of the only first person games to get platforming right. Jumping, specifically the double jump, just feels right. I played through this again last year and it still feels and plays great.

3. Super Mario 64 (N64)
I will never forget the first time I ran around as Mario outside of the castle. It truly changed gaming. Mario games consistently deliver a steady stream of joy. This one is near the top. I smile just thinking about it. Each world (painting) is unique and filled with several different objectives. I think I played this every waking moment for two weeks in an attempt to get all 120 stars without any guide of GAMEFAQS FAQ.

4. Mass Effect 2 (Xbox 360)
The best in the series and one of the best action-RPGs ever. One of the rare RPGs where I cared about every side quest/story. Each character and race have interesting backstories and reasons for saving them and/or keeping them in your party. The overall story moves the game along, but doesn’t get bogged down. Gameplay combines the best elements of traditional RPGs and action games. It takes time to find the right combination of party members and classes that work, but it is still fun to experiment.

5. Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube)
Also, the best game in the series. The opening level with the villagers and the chainsaw lets players know how special the rest of the game will be. Updated tank-like controls and the new perspective made this game thrilling, but more action based. I love combining plants for healing and the ribbons for saving. The Wii version is probably the best, but the Gamecube one holds up too.

6. Red Dead Redemption (PS3)
Never have loved any of the GTA games. This one was different. The satire, the exploration, and the characters all felt more genuine. I truly immersed myself in the world. Plus, any game where you can tie up someone (usually a prostitute) and put them on the train tracks is a win in my book.

7. Rock Band 2 (PS3)
I really like music. I really like video games. This game united two of my loves and allowed several of my non-gaming friends to join in too. It came out when I was in graduate school living with two others guys who also had musical talent. So many nights playing a deep catalogue of songs well into the wee hours. Easy to pick up a play, but difficult to master on the harder difficulty levels. Wish they wouldn’t have oversaturated the market so quickly.

8. Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
The best new IP of this console generation. Rock solid gameplay with tried and true rock/paper/scissors mechanics. Each enemy type requires planning, preparation, and execution, while still managing to be a ton of fun. Beautiful immersive world (especially on the Pro) interesting characters, and dinosaur robots (duh) make this a game not to miss.

9. Wii Sports (Wii)
Who has not played this game? Leave it to Nintendo to make bowling, tennis, boxing, and baseball a blast to play for people of all ages and ability levels. This was a fixture of my breaks at home in college. My dad and I had a best of 199 series in bowling. There were stats involved as well. Motion controls have come and gone, but this got them right.

10. F Zero GX (Gamecube)
My favorite racing game of all time. This game is FAST. It scales in difficulty wonderfully and can be just incredibly difficult. A great test of memorization and reaction skills. The story is also wacky, but fun. Check it out if you can. It still holds up.

Last edited by Monkey_Driven on Thu November 01, 2018 4:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: First Round: DurdenCommaTyler vs. Monkey_Driven
PostPosted: Tue October 30, 2018 3:02 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Contra, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, and Zelda all on one team?

this is like the Golden State Warriors

Can't Deny Durden

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Tue October 30, 2018 3:14 am 
The Master

I may have underestimated how the majority of the board came of age in the 90's.

PostPosted: Tue October 30, 2018 3:19 am 
Rank This Poster

This is a tough match for me.

MD wins at the start. I don't have a ton of love for the original Zelda and both Metroid Prime and Super Mario 64 are among my favs.

DCT has a great second half with Ms. Pac-Man, The Sims and Words with Friends.

But I DO think Joey should be penalized for making us all wait.

I'm gonna think about this one more.

PostPosted: Tue October 30, 2018 3:35 am 
mXn

How the F did Mario 64 last until round 3?

PostPosted: Tue October 30, 2018 4:12 am 
The Master

ME2 means I will never vote for any other team over MD

PostPosted: Tue October 30, 2018 4:13 am 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

This one is pretty fucking difficult.

PostPosted: Tue October 30, 2018 4:14 am 
Production Police

yeah really tough matchup, i'll have to mull it over

PostPosted: Tue October 30, 2018 9:39 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

It became a bit of an embarrassing franchise, but The Sims was a trip to play as a 12 year old. I remember using cheat codes to bankroll the construction of big fuck off mansions, and trying to murder my neighbors by having them swim in my pool and then deleting the ladder. It was great fun for a while there. :nice:

PostPosted: Tue October 30, 2018 9:46 am 

I haven't played a lot of M_D's games, which is odd because it seems like a bit of a star-studded lineup. I was never an early Nintendo kid, I guess. I only ever spent a decent amount of time with the N64 and GameBoy.

PostPosted: Tue October 30, 2018 10:19 am 
The Beef

I'm going to have to just boil it down to games I've actually played and enjoyed.

DcT has 5, M_D has 4.

DcT

PostPosted: Tue October 30, 2018 10:37 am 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Easy vote for MonkeyMcDricen

PostPosted: Tue October 30, 2018 10:47 am 

Has to be Durden. A couple of thoughts:

Tetris is the 2nd best mobile pick, behind Jammer's Pokemon.

Words With Friends is a great late-game mandatory handled pick.

I never liked the Rock Band/Guitar Hero games. When they were big I couldn't help but think that people should be playing either a) better games, or b) a ReAl iNsTrUmEnT. I was that guy.

I enjoyed the old school platforming of Tomb Raider 1 and 2 over the modern remake. The latter is gorgeous, though.

The Sims used to be cool!

I missed the boat on far too many of M_D's games.

Last edited by Ello Sailor on Tue October 30, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue October 30, 2018 12:06 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

As legendary as it is, the NES was never big for me. Some of my friends owned one, but it was with the SNES and Genesis/Megadrive, my love for console gaming started. Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Sims, Madden, I do think Durden is flexing his muscles. Monkey_Driven just gets my vote though, with a very strong selection of games, that mixes classic, fun, inventive, and even some of the best modern games.

Last edited by Anders on Tue October 30, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue October 30, 2018 2:19 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

M_D's team is a monster. Should I lose to him, there will be no shame.

Good luck, M_D!

PostPosted: Tue October 30, 2018 2:22 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:

Good luck, M_D!

And to you as well. I'm kicking myself for forgetting how old RM is though when selecting these games.

PostPosted: Tue October 30, 2018 2:42 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Good luck, M_D!

And to you as well. I'm kicking myself for forgetting how old RM is though when selecting these games.

:lol:

It might not be RM in general. It might be just those participating here. Maybe?

PostPosted: Tue October 30, 2018 2:51 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Good luck, M_D!

:lol:

It might not be RM in general. It might be just those participating here. Maybe?

Maybe a little bit of both. Everyone's tastes vary too.

PostPosted: Tue October 30, 2018 2:52 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Too true.

Either way, it's all in good fun. And now I have a resource for games to look into and play if I ever get back into gaming more seriously.

PostPosted: Tue October 30, 2018 2:57 pm 
Production Police

DurdenCommaTyler
Contra
Punch Out
Legend of Zelda
Resident Evil

That right there is a monster run, some of my most favorite games of my life.

SW: KOTOR - This was great when it came out, probably hasn't aged too well

Ms. Pac Man - Never loved the Pac Man games, but I get it

Tomb Raider - I missed the PS3 version. I'm assuming it's closer to the PS4 versions than it is the original PC ones? In which case it's probably pretty solid.

The Sims -- good pick

Words With Friends -- this game is a great way to play with friends online, but I'm not sure I'd call it a great game overall. It's Scrabble. It would pull a lot more weight if this were a board game tourney.

Madden -- meh.

Monkey_Driven

Tetris
Metroid Prime
Super Mario 64

These are all great picks too.

Mass Effect 2 - Never played a ME game, but I bet I'd love this one.

RE4 - Played the first 2 or 3, never played this one but MD has told me about it before. I'll buy that it belongs here.

Red Dead Redemption -- I played this over my buddy's house a handful of times, it seemed pretty awesome.

Rock Band 2 - I hate these games

H:ZD - Sure.

Wii Sports -- Great get for a later round!

F Zero GX - never played the GC installment, but I loved the SNES one.

This is the toughest matchup yet for me. Joey's team is stacked with games I've played and love, while MD's team is stacked with games I'd love to play someday, plus a few I actually do love.

If I were sent to a desert island and could only take one collection with me, I'd pick MD's because I think they would offer more play value these days. But my hat's off to Joe for throwing down a bunch of games that were benchmarks for the industry, and still hold up absurdly well.

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games