The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Favor Before Voting Begins
PostPosted: Fri October 26, 2018 7:26 pm 
The Master

CopperTom wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Centuries from now people will look back on this draft and revere tree_'s team.

But when it's time to vote, we'll all be pissed at the game since it's taking so long to install.

It comes on two discs! One is the "data" disc. It took like 30 minutes to install last night. Then the actual "play" disc took another 20 minutes or so.

PostPosted: Fri October 26, 2018 7:53 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I considered taking the new Smash Bros. It looks soooo good I can't wait.

PostPosted: Fri October 26, 2018 7:55 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

bada wrote:
I considered this, too. It's bound to be the best Smash Bros. so if a team took it I would appreciate that.

PostPosted: Fri October 26, 2018 8:13 pm 
The Master

bada wrote:

Same.

PostPosted: Fri October 26, 2018 11:27 pm 
Rank This Poster

Instead of doing what MD has asked, I'm gonna go negative and attack my opponent's games (and possibly my opponent directly).

PostPosted: Fri October 26, 2018 11:29 pm 
The Master

run2death wrote:
Instead of doing what MD has asked, I'm gonna go negative and attack my opponent's games (and possibly my opponent directly).

Bold strategy.

PostPosted: Fri October 26, 2018 11:30 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
run2death wrote:

Bold strategy.

PostPosted: Sat October 27, 2018 10:58 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

1. The Last of Us (PS3)
The rules put this as the PS3 version, but I was primarily thinking of the wonderful PS4 version, certainly one of the best games ever. The story is second to none, and the game flows as well as any other. If you haven't played it, and you don't intend to do so, check it out on youtube. It will be well worth your time.

2. Super Mario Kart (SNES)
The classic SNES version and in many ways the best Mario Kart game. Here the playability is in the forefront, the tracks and secondary events are streamlined and simple, yet unsurpassed in this most entertaining of franchises. Where later games focused on strange tracks and battle options, this game in its simplicity beats them hands down. To such a degree, that you long back to these tracks every single time you play the later games.

3. Halo 3 (Xbox360)
For me it’s the best online game in history. The community highly active, the online platform well built, and together gave a vast amount of opportunities and challenges. The campaign (one player or multi) is also tight, and probably the best in the Halo franchise.

4. Sid Meier's Pirates (Commodore 64)
Possibly the most underrated game on RM. This game pushed the boundaries during the 80s, and has still not been outdone. It’s probably the best game from the legendary Commodore 64, and set the stage for all that was to come.

5. Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
This is probably the best Mario game ever made. Don't think I have to say more than that.

6. Gran Turismo 2 (PS2)
Here I have included a personal favorite of mine. This is where the GT franchise really hit the jackpot. The flow of driving and the setup of the career mode have both never been topped. While easily being improvements on the original. The graphics were stellar for their time, and even today does nothing to ruin the playability involved.

7. Bloodborne (PS4)
Very surprised this wasn't picked earlier. If there was a steal in this competition, it may be Bloodborne as a 7th round pick. This is probably the coolest game I've ever played. Just try it for yourself. Just stay focused. If you do your job right, you can go on a streak, but a moment lapse in concentration can leave you laying on the ground. This game will also surprise you in the best ways.

8. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (Xbox One)
In recent years I've spent a lot of time playing Football Manager, Fifa 17/18 and Destiny 1/2. Yet I picked none of those. The final round where I considered it heavily was this round. I'll admit I have more fun playing Destiny than The Witcher 3. But some of Destiny's flaws, greedy developers, similarity to the Halo franchise, all made it difficult to choose. The Witcher 3 has none of those problems. In it you get the real deal. By many this is considered one of the best games of all time. It's open world mode is glorious and beautiful. It's mad and terrible and perfectly made. The story is fun and crazy, and will keep you on your toes from beginning to end.

9. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
It's the Zelda game I've spent most time on. The Wii was a wonderful console, and in a time when games often lost something valuable along the way, Nintendo and its Wii provided the unique and vital option they have always held. In this game the fun and feeling of the older games is retained, in a way xbox or the playstation guys never could. Twilight Princess is a lengthy adventure packed with many well-designed puzzles. It keeps you active and stays true to its roots.

10. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
This is a pure Castlevania game, that has all the charm of the original. In addition it worked better with saving, mapchecking and all those small things you find irritating when they aren't there, but hardly notice when they are. It worked fantastically on the GBA, and gave a challenge for all to enjoy.

Last edited by Anders on Sat October 27, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat October 27, 2018 3:13 pm 
The Master

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat October 27, 2018 3:39 pm 
Rank This Poster

Anders isn't from this country and his games don't understand the sturggles that hard working Americans go through to put food on their tables and video games on their giant 4k TVs.

A vote for his team is a vote AGAINST America.

Freedom isn't free.

PostPosted: Sat October 27, 2018 3:48 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

run2death wrote:
Anders isn't from this country and his games don't understand the sturggles that hard working Americans go through to put food on their tables and video games on their giant 4k TVs.

Freedom isn't free.

That's an interesting take on it.

PostPosted: Sat October 27, 2018 4:08 pm 
Production Police

sturggles

PostPosted: Sat October 27, 2018 4:27 pm 
The Master

After run2death's defeat in the popular vote he turns to the electoral college to save his jingoist aspirations for glory...

PostPosted: Sat October 27, 2018 5:06 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

When's this start?

PostPosted: Sat October 27, 2018 5:16 pm 
The Master

bada wrote:
When's this start?

I plan to get the first three matchups up sometime tonight.

PostPosted: Sat October 27, 2018 7:38 pm 
Champion of RM

Round 1 (12): The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch).
Image 97/100
I've been playing video games for 33 years and this is the best game that I've ever played. The best entry of the best franchise. It was a bold move for Nintendo modifying the tried-and-true Zelda formula, however, everything worked. Everything.

Round 2 (13): God of War (PS4).
Image 94/100
Of the major AAA franchises, this one has largest gap between the best entry and the second best entry. This game exceeded my expectations in every way imaginable. Improved writing, story and character development. The relationship between Kratos and Loki was well crafted. Excellent and sometimes very difficult moments - killing the Valkaries was a joy.

Round 3 (36): Metal Gear Solid (PS1).
Image 94/100
Arguably the best PS1 game. The only MGS with a great, non-ridiculous, and non-convoluted storyline. A game so great, it spawned an entire genre.

Round 4 (37): Angry Birds (iOS).
Image 80/100
Simple perfection. The game with highest user base of all time. I preferred it before the in-app purchases (except the Mighty Eagle since that added an additional element) though.

Round 5 (60): World of Warcraft (PC).
Image 93/100
The best MMO ever made. Accessible yet deep. Can level solo or group. Quests made sense. Worth the time investment and monthly fee. I assume this game has generated the most revenue all time, by far.

Round 6 (61): Super Mario Bros. (NES).
Image 84/100
Where it all started for me. I played it for the first time at a cousin's house. Jumping the first pit was a challenge. When I finally made it, I sprinted to tell my mom. When I finally beat 1-1, I sprinted to tell my mom. I got NES with SMB, Gyromite and Duck Hunt that Christmas. The rest is history.

Round 7 (84): Tecmo Bowl (NES).
Image 71/100
For a sports game to be fun to play years after release, it needs to be special. This is over 30 years old and still a blast. Oh, and Bo Jackson.

Round 8 (85): Panzer Dragoon Saga (Saturn).
Image 92/100
On the very short list of greatest game ever made. Too bad it was released in very limited quantities (<10,000) during the last days of a console that thoroughly lost its console war versus PS1. I realize no on RM has played this. Spend a minute a Google it for me. The value pick of value picks.

Round 9 (108): Pikmin (GameCube).
Image 89/100
A rare action / strategy game done right. Nintendo's best new IP of the past 15 years. The original has more charm than any of the sequels.

Round 10 (109): Borderlands 2 (PS3).
Image 91/100
A FPS that feels like a MMORPG. Total chaos, fun, and irreverence. A game that never takes itself even a bit too seriously. Borderlands 3 is overdue.

PostPosted: Sat October 27, 2018 7:49 pm 
Poster of the Year

run2death wrote:

Freedom isn't free.

i'm intrigued, speak more

PostPosted: Sat October 27, 2018 8:02 pm 
Rank This Poster

I don't think it matters because this tourney is clearly illegitimate.

We have a tournament administrator WHO HAS A TEAM IN THE TOURNAMENT and has bent over backwards to accommodate one of his buddies by changing the rules midstream.

After it's finished, I will ask the mods to expunge the tournament from RM.

PostPosted: Sat October 27, 2018 8:05 pm 
Poster of the Year

This is a sham!

PostPosted: Sat October 27, 2018 8:13 pm 
Rank This Poster

There's no greater joy in life than ruining things that should be fun.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games