Switch to full style
A better alternative to going outside
Post a reply

Re: Next-Gen Consoles (Coming 2020-ish)

Tue October 27, 2020 3:28 pm

Also, embargoes for unboxings is so weird to me. We all know what’s in the box.

Tue October 27, 2020 3:29 pm

I dunno. Is that tv remote included with ps5? I think I've heard yes and no.

Tue October 27, 2020 3:30 pm

scrub12 wrote:Also, embargoes for unboxings is so weird to me. We all know what’s in the box.

Agree, but I don't mind carefully planned embargoes to build hype. Unboxings and reaction videos are pretty silly though.

Tue October 27, 2020 3:31 pm

Agree w/ MD that I think this is actually one of the stronger PS launch line ups that I can remember, but all are right that we usually don't see these systems hitting their stride till year 2. I think I'm more excited at this point to re-play PS4 games in better resolution and/or frame rate at this point (GoW, RDR2, TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, etc).

speaking of GoW, I'm going on record to say now that there's no way Ragnarok is released in 2021 (what they've announced thus far). I'm thinking mid 22 at the earliest.

Tue October 27, 2020 3:35 pm

My prediction for big PS5 exclusives in 2021:

Ratchet and Clank in February or March
Last of Us Multiplayer Game (either Free to Play or $20-$30) in May
Horizon: Forbidden West in June or July
God of War: Ragnorak in November

Tue October 27, 2020 3:38 pm

I predict in '21 we will see many PS5 upgrade patches, hopefully free but probably $15 or $20, for the good PS4 games. And all of us will end up buying more storage.
Last edited by tree_ on Tue October 27, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue October 27, 2020 3:39 pm

With COVID, I can’t see all of those games hitting 2021. Delays are inevitable. Its kind of crazy how we don’t have an idea of Spring releases. Usually by now, we know a lot and its real quiet. Spring has been low key crazy for games the last few years.

Tue October 27, 2020 3:40 pm

scrub12 wrote:With COVID, I can’t see all of those games hitting 2021. Delays are inevitable. Its kind of crazy how we don’t have an idea of Spring releases. Usually by now, we know a lot and its real quiet.
This is why I predict the patches. So many great games on PS4 and with quality patches, improving graphics and frame rates and load times, these will be irresistibly re-playable to just about everyone.

Tue October 27, 2020 3:44 pm

scrub12 wrote:With COVID, I can’t see all of those games hitting 2021. Delays are inevitable. Its kind of crazy how we don’t have an idea of Spring releases. Usually by now, we know a lot and its real quiet. Spring has been low key crazy for games the last few years.

They're definitely not committing to exact dates for that reason.

Tue October 27, 2020 3:49 pm

tree_ wrote:I predict in '21 we will see many PS5 upgrade patches, hopefully free but probably $15 or $20, for the good PS4 games. And all of us will end up buying more storage.

I don't see many games released prior to mid-2019 getting upgrade patches.

Tue October 27, 2020 3:50 pm

Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:I predict in '21 we will see many PS5 upgrade patches, hopefully free but probably $15 or $20, for the good PS4 games. And all of us will end up buying more storage.

Why not?

Tue October 27, 2020 3:56 pm

tree_ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

Why not?

The juice is not worth the squeeze for the developers. I can see the games being "optimized" to run at higher framerates automatically, however.

Tue October 27, 2020 4:00 pm

I don't know about the juice/squeeze ratio... just seems like there are so many great PS4 games that could use this treatment and I can't imagine gamers passing up the upgrade even at a $20 or so. Seems easier than a full remaster.

Tue October 27, 2020 4:05 pm

tree_ wrote:I don't know about the juice/squeeze ratio... just seems like there are so many great PS4 games that could use this treatment and I can't imagine gamers passing up the upgrade even at a $20 or so. Seems easier than a full remaster.

I'm sure some developers will try it, but I'm not sure how many gamers will pay to upgrade for just a visual enhancement. Having said that, if Bloodborne has a paid patch to make it run in 60 fps/4k I would buy it. :lol:

Tue October 27, 2020 4:09 pm

Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:I don't know about the juice/squeeze ratio... just seems like there are so many great PS4 games that could use this treatment and I can't imagine gamers passing up the upgrade even at a $20 or so. Seems easier than a full remaster.

I'm sure some developers will try it, but I'm not sure how many gamers will pay to upgrade for just a visual enhancement. Having said that, if Bloodborne has a paid patch to make it run in 60 fps/4k I would buy it. :lol:
Yeah, totally. I'm talking visuals, frame rates, load times, maybe even some Easter eggs here and there, such as extra levels/areas to explore, items. The squeeze of building entirely new games is getting more expensive, ultimately producing less juice, so this route may be more economically feasible. And I won't complain, as long as we get SOME quality new games each year.

Tue October 27, 2020 4:16 pm

Seems like something Nintendo would do. Maybe Sony will tear a page out of their book.

Tue October 27, 2020 4:34 pm

Paying for upgrades on slightly older games just seems icky to me. People are already upset game prices are going up (I don’t think they’re right, $70 seems long overdue) so I could see some outrage.

I don’t own a Switch but seems like people are starting to get tired of Nintendo just making you pay for the same games over and over again.

Tue October 27, 2020 4:44 pm

Talking about the gaming community being upset and outraged is probably the most redundant, superfluous thing you can do. If it gets good reviews, they will buy it and enjoy it.

Tue October 27, 2020 4:44 pm

Cyberpunk delayed...again. Only a month, though.

Tue October 27, 2020 5:06 pm

scrub12 wrote:Paying for upgrades on slightly older games just seems icky to me. People are already upset game prices are going up (I don’t think they’re right, $70 seems long overdue) so I could see some outrage.

I don’t own a Switch but seems like people are starting to get tired of Nintendo just making you pay for the same games over and over again.

I agree about it feely icky. If a developer is going in to significantly redo art assets and stuff I think exceptions can be made. For example, I don't have an issue with Spider-Man Remastered costing $20 since it includes all of the DLC as well.

scrub12 wrote:Cyberpunk delayed...again. Only a month, though.

Damn, must be significant bugs.
Post a reply