Switch to full style
A better alternative to going outside
Post a reply

Re: Next-Gen Consoles (Coming 2020-ish)

Wed October 07, 2020 10:59 pm

Looks like shit but I'm a Playstation guy, so I'm in.

Wed October 07, 2020 11:17 pm

I think the ps5 looks beautiful

Wed October 07, 2020 11:45 pm

CopperTom wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
scrub12 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:I'm always amused by the amount of discussion around console design and seeing the "box". Doesn't it just sit on a shelf or TV stand for 5-10 years? Does anyone make a purchasing decision based on the look of a console?

I care less about the look but size is a bigger issue for me.

It's certainly hefty.

The PS5 is going to look ugly mixed in with other home theater equipment. White? I hope the PS5 Pro is black. The XSX might look awkward at first, I think it will look astetically better.

White is a neutral color, just like black. The teardown reveals the plates can be removed and likely modded/replaced.

White might be a neutral color, it is not a home theater color. I've never seen a white Blu-ray player, stereo receiver, cable / satellite receiver, TV, etc. I'm not going to mess with the plates.

This could certainly be a brand recognition thing. If you've got an all-black media setup and anyone steps into your living room, they're going to say, "Oh, cool, you've got a PS5." A black console can just get lost.

Wed October 07, 2020 11:48 pm

Simple Torture wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
scrub12 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:I'm always amused by the amount of discussion around console design and seeing the "box". Doesn't it just sit on a shelf or TV stand for 5-10 years? Does anyone make a purchasing decision based on the look of a console?

I care less about the look but size is a bigger issue for me.

It's certainly hefty.

The PS5 is going to look ugly mixed in with other home theater equipment. White? I hope the PS5 Pro is black. The XSX might look awkward at first, I think it will look astetically better.

White is a neutral color, just like black. The teardown reveals the plates can be removed and likely modded/replaced.

White might be a neutral color, it is not a home theater color. I've never seen a white Blu-ray player, stereo receiver, cable / satellite receiver, TV, etc. I'm not going to mess with the plates.

This could certainly be a brand recognition thing. If you've got an all-black media setup and anyone steps into your living room, they're going to say, "Oh, cool, you've got a PS5." A black console can just get lost.

Yes!

Wed October 07, 2020 11:56 pm

I think it's an excellent design/look as well; but I'd prefer black if I had the choice. Given how easy the shell popped I'm sure there will be more color designs in the future. Also looking forwarding to upgrading to a larger SSD, 825GB is pretty much a joke by today's standards but understand they're trying to keep manufacturing costs down. I wonder how much the larger SSD will end up setting me back, sigh

Thu October 08, 2020 2:01 am

Yeah the cost of this is harsh, especially considering the times. But you have to think it’d be more so if not for the times.

Fri October 09, 2020 2:05 pm

I found this article interesting:

https://www.ign.com/articles/comparing-the-price-of-every-game-console-with-inflation

Fri October 09, 2020 7:31 pm

FAQ about Backwards Compatibility on PS5:

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/09/ps4-games-on-ps5-your-top-questions-answered/

Fri October 09, 2020 7:40 pm

I'm so happy I can just store all of my PS4 games on my 6 TB external and drag and drop when needed to the super speedy PS5 SSD.

Sat October 10, 2020 12:58 am

Monkey_Driven wrote:I found this article interesting:

https://www.ign.com/articles/comparing-the-price-of-every-game-console-with-inflation

This is a cool article. I had an old Atari system but I pretty much date back to the NES days. Holy shit the NeoGeo cost, wtf

Tue October 13, 2020 12:04 am

One month away, Gents. Less than one month for you Xbox heads.

Tue October 13, 2020 1:31 am

Revelator wrote:One month away, Gents. Less than one month for you Xbox heads.

Getting pretty excited to reshuffle the consoles in my TV stand. PS5 will get prime position. The Wii U is getting the heave ho.

Tue October 13, 2020 3:27 am

Ultra super smash excited bros

Tue October 13, 2020 5:42 pm

PS5 and Xbox preorders up at 2:00 et at antonline.com

Tue October 13, 2020 5:58 pm

I had a moment this afternoon where I thought about sellibg my PS4 Pro to offset the cost of a PS5, since I'd still be able to play all of my PS4 games (and I have lots and lots to still play). I took a look on Craigslist, and locally people are selling PS4s with 5 games and 2 controllers for $100--that's insane, and obviously everyone had the same idea. Maybe next summer.

Wed October 14, 2020 5:35 pm

Current Gen to Next Gen Upgrade Table for Current/Upcoming Games:

https://egmnow.com/egms-guide-to-next-gen-game-upgrades/

Thu October 15, 2020 2:16 pm

Thu October 15, 2020 2:37 pm

tree_ wrote:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Some Personal Highlights:
- The ability to see how much time I have left in a level
- The hint system for collectibles and such (will be interested to see how many developers really use this)
- More expansive Party options
- How snappy and fast things are to load (not surprising but fun to see in real time)

Thu October 15, 2020 2:48 pm

I'm not into the hint system at all. What's the point? Why play the game at all if I can just watch a video then repeat? Seems silly. I like getting my ass kicked, feeling like a loser, then googling for hints and pretending I did it all by myself. At least that's somewhat challenging. None of these features seem like anything I need. Maybe I'll be surprised by them, dunno. Load times are great, though.

Thu October 15, 2020 3:02 pm

tree_ wrote:I'm not into the hint system at all. What's the point? Why play the game at all if I can just watch a video then repeat? Seems silly. I like getting my ass kicked, feeling like a loser, then googling for hints and pretending I did it all by myself. At least that's somewhat challenging. None of these features seem like anything I need. Maybe I'll be surprised by them, dunno. Load times are great, though.

It's an option. You don't have to use it. If it is streamlined, I would much rather prefer it to be part of the UI that trying to find it in a long YouTube video or hidden in some ad-filled online guide.
Post a reply