The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 57  Next
 Post subject: Re: Next-Gen Consoles (Coming 2020-ish)
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:37 pm 
Champion of RM

Monkey_Driven wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Rumor: PS5 to cost $499 at launch.

People will complain and it will still sell out.

Sounds about right. It won't surprise me if games cost 65 or 70 bucks a pop either in the new generation.

Most SNES and Genesis games were $60, some even $65. 30 years later, games are the same price. It’s crazy. At some point, I can see Microsoft charging $10 more for physical releases too.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:50 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

CopperTom wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

Sounds about right. It won't surprise me if games cost 65 or 70 bucks a pop either in the new generation.

Most SNES and Genesis games were $60, some even $65. 30 years later, games are the same price. It’s crazy. At some point, I can see Microsoft charging $10 more for physical releases too.
I don't know if it's crazy. Technology has been changing and advancing exponentially, but not costing more, and haven't the ppl been working just as hard then as now making the games?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:00 pm 
Champion of RM

tree_ wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

I don't know if it's crazy. Technology has been changing and advancing exponentially, but not costing more, and haven't the ppl been working just as hard then as now making the games?

Name all the things that cost the same today as 30 years ago.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:13 pm 
The Master

CopperTom wrote:
tree_ wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:15 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

CopperTom wrote:
tree_ wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

I'm no expert but isn't one of the main reasons for technology advancing so much that the cost of microprocessors decreases with time?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:16 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

What I'm saying is top of the line technology always costs about the same, relatively. Didn't a top of the line VCR used to cost about the same as a top of the line Blue Ray player today? Isn't there a good reason for this? Like I said, no expert...

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:17 pm 
The Master

The key difference is triple A games could be made by a very small team of people generations ago (5-50). Now it takes hundreds.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:22 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
The key difference is triple A games could be made by a very small team of people generations ago (5-50). Now it takes hundreds.

Over multi-year development cycles. And they also have to build and maintain online servers over the lifespan of the game. There are a lot of components that go into a game today that weren't there 30 years ago. Granted games today have access to additional monetization streams today that they didn't 10-15 years ago, which probably offsets some of that lack of increase in cost. But yeah AAA games probably should be costing $100 or more.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:26 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

mf wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

Over multi-year development cycles. And they also have to build and maintain online servers over the lifespan of the game. There are a lot of components that go into a game today that weren't there 30 years ago. Granted games today have access to additional monetization streams today that they didn't 10-15 years ago, which probably offsets some of that lack of increase in cost. But yeah AAA games probably should be costing $100 or more.
Isn't this at least somewhat comparable to cost of movie-making and ticket/blue ray/dvd prices? I wonder if they fear that increasing price would decrease sales? $60 is pretty steep already for the average person to be buying games.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:29 pm 
The Master

tree_ wrote:
mf wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

Isn't this at least somewhat comparable to cost of movie-making and ticket/blue ray/dvd prices? I wonder if they fear that increasing price would decrease sales? $60 is pretty steep already for the average person to be buying games.

Did those cost the same as today 20 years ago? 10 years ago? 5 years ago?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:48 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:
mf wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

I'm doing some research, and basically, yeah, they cost the same, sometimes more! New release VHS tapes cost about $20... and that doesn't even count for inflation, so... ... and surely movie making crews are largely increasing in size cause of all the special effects and everything

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:14 pm 
The Master

tree_ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:
mf wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

I'm doing some research, and basically, yeah, they cost the same, sometimes more! New release VHS tapes cost about $20... and that doesn't even count for inflation, so... ... and surely movie making crews are largely increasing in size cause of all the special effects and everything

I'm talking about movie tickets, where films make the majority of their money.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:23 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:
mf wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

I'm talking about movie tickets, where films make the majority of their money.
https://www.davemanuel.com/the-cost-of-a-movie-ticket-throughout-the-years-166/ .. stayed about the same.. decreased at points

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:35 pm 
Champion of RM

$20 30 years ago is a lot more valuable than $20 today. It's basic economics. Assuming standard inflation, $60 in 1989 is equivalent to $108 in 2019.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:48 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

CopperTom wrote:
$20 30 years ago is a lot more valuable than $20 today. It's basic economics. Assuming standard inflation, $60 in 1989 is equivalent to $108 in 2019.
Yeah, so video games have been decreasing in price, when looking at it that way. I wonder how they came to that $60 figure to begin with? Seems it could be kinda arbitrary... could have something to do with a kid asking his mom to buy the new video games and them keeping on doing it... If prices go up they may stop buying them. I'm sure the video game people are doing alright, anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:06 pm 
The Master

tree_ wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Yeah, so video games have been decreasing in price, when looking at it that way. I wonder how they came to that $60 figure to begin with? Seems it could be kinda arbitrary... could have something to do with a kid asking his mom to buy the new video games and them keeping on doing it... If prices go up they may stop buying them. I'm sure the video game people are doing alright, anyway.

This has been our point the entire conversation.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:20 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

But maybe they were over-priced to begin with and now video game people still make enough money, so... why change it at the risk of losing loyal customers?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:24 pm 
The Master

tree_ wrote:
But maybe they were over-priced to begin with and now video game people still make enough money, so... why change it at the risk of losing loyal customers?

I don't even know what to do with this statement/question.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:27 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Don't be a snob. I'm just throwing questions out there. I really don't know much at all about the industry or what goes on behind the curtains and how much people make. I'm reading up about some things now.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:34 pm 
The Master

tree_ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Don't be a snob. I'm just throwing questions out there. I really don't know much at all about the industry or what goes on behind the curtains and how much people make. I'm reading up about some things now.

Of course you can ask questions. But maybe do some reading beforehand.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 57  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games