The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 57  Next
 Post subject: Re: Next-Gen Consoles (Coming 2020-ish)
PostPosted: Mon September 21, 2020 8:18 pm 
AnalLog

Yeah dude, I was a bit skeptical of the antonline bundles myself so I'm holding out for more unit pre-orders from Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc per Sony's email from this weekend regarding the botched pre-order fiasco.

I've never played Demons Souls either back in the PS3 days but considering giving it a whirl for PS5; so long as it's not hard core RPG and more action-RPG (similar to Horizon), I'm interested. Spider Man for PS4 was a blast, you'll enjoy that one and it's worth buying--good amount of replay value and it's just flat out fun to swing through the city sandbox. The Miles Morales 'expansion' so to speak looks great; I'm hoping the remastered version of the base Spider Man game looks similar in quality.

The potential upgrades to existing PS4 games excites me the most (both graphical and frame rate) for the likes of Last of Us 2, RDR2(!!), Ghost of Tsushima, GOW, etc. I'm actually holding out on my much anticipated second play through of RDR2 for the PS5. Am holding out hope that Rockstar will release some more detail on that in the near future; I can't imagine them not doing some kind of upgrade and added online or story content for the PS5. We already know it's (unfortunately) happening for GTA V.

PostPosted: Mon September 21, 2020 8:25 pm 
AnalLog

If Rockstar does what they did last gen, they’ll try to sell a next gen version of RDR2.

PostPosted: Mon September 21, 2020 8:32 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Hopefully they are kind, as they have been so far with other games like Madden getting a free upgrade. I can see them charging a small amount for the upgraded version. It's unfair to have to pay full price again. Or maybe they can have a downloadable patch? Not sure if that'd be much of an upgrade.

PostPosted: Mon September 21, 2020 8:43 pm 
AnalLog

Other than the PS+ Collection, Sony has been pretty quiet about backwards compatibility. They claim most of the games work but nothing official has been announced or anything. We’re less than two months out so hoping they get more clear.

PostPosted: Mon September 21, 2020 8:47 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Does any one with nerdy tech knowledge have specifics on how big of an upgrade leap PS4 to PS5 is compared to previous generational upgrades? Like, how does it compare to SNES to N64, for instance? I think that must be bigger because of the whole 3D implementation. But then again, "ray-tracing".

PostPosted: Mon September 21, 2020 11:11 pm 
Champion of RM

tree_ wrote:
Does any one with nerdy tech knowledge have specifics on how big of an upgrade leap PS4 to PS5 is compared to previous generational upgrades? Like, how does it compare to SNES to N64, for instance? I think that must be bigger because of the whole 3D implementation. But then again, "ray-tracing".

PS4 to PS5 will be less of a leap than PS3 to PS4.

PostPosted: Mon September 21, 2020 11:14 pm 
Champion of RM

scrub12 wrote:
Other than the PS+ Collection, Sony has been pretty quiet about backwards compatibility. They claim most of the games work but nothing official has been announced or anything. We’re less than two months out so hoping they get more clear.

Wasn't it announced that PS5 will not feature any PS1, PS2, or PS3 backward compatibility, but nearly all PS4 games would be backward compatible?

PostPosted: Mon September 21, 2020 11:26 pm 
The Master

CopperTom wrote:
scrub12 wrote:

Wasn't it announced that PS5 will not feature any PS1, PS2, or PS3 backward compatibility, but nearly all PS4 games would be backward compatible?

Yes, but not in an official capacity. More through interviews and some sleuthing.

PostPosted: Tue September 22, 2020 12:16 am 
The Master

Good luck to everyone pre-ordering an X Box Series "" tomorrow!

PostPosted: Tue September 22, 2020 12:27 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

Even though I could afford one, I don't like buying the first release of a next gen console. It's the most expensive model, and as history dictates, the most prone to faults/issues.

I like to wait about 12 months or so until they've nutted out the issues and the price drops. By that point the range of games is decent too.

PostPosted: Tue September 22, 2020 10:43 am 
Champion of RM

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
Even though I could afford one, I don't like buying the first release of a next gen console. It's the most expensive model, and as history dictates, the most prone to faults/issues.

I like to wait about 12 months or so until they've nutted out the issues and the price drops. By that point the range of games is decent too.

Only the first gen 360s had hardware (heatsink) issues - and that wasn't even isolated to launch systems. The general idea that launch consoles are less superior is an old wives tale.

PostPosted: Tue September 22, 2020 3:24 pm 
The Master

Any luck pre-ordering? I just checked several sites and they were either out or not loading. Looks like the in store Gamestop allotments were smaller for the Xbox than PS5s.

PostPosted: Tue September 22, 2020 3:43 pm 
AnalLog

Got me one through Microsoft after multiple tries.

Wal Mart and Target sold out when it was in my cart.

Best Buy and Amazon havent even opened up.

PostPosted: Tue September 22, 2020 3:52 pm 
The Master

scrub12 wrote:
Got me one through Microsoft after multiple tries.

Wal Mart and Target sold out when it was in my cart.

Best Buy and Amazon havent even opened up.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue September 22, 2020 4:20 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Is scrub the only box head we have on the board? PS5 mostly just seems more attractive to me because of all the PS4 games I already have. Can't switch over now. Also more aesthetically pleasing, size and all.

PostPosted: Tue September 22, 2020 5:13 pm 
AnalLog

I have both but Xbox is my main console. I’ll get a digital PS5 sometime next year.

PostPosted: Tue September 22, 2020 5:16 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

So I take it you're content playing your PS4 games on PS4? Or have you been going digital already on PS4?

PostPosted: Tue September 22, 2020 5:19 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Amazon for the win.

PostPosted: Tue September 22, 2020 5:22 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

I've been a PS user since PS1 so I had planned on continuing that relationship just out of familiarity more than anything (plus a library of PS3 and PS4 games from 8 years as a PS+ member). But at this point i'm not impressed with either console's launch titles. Then Sony made a mess of the presale. and now this news with Microsoft/Bethesda plus their gamepass offering. I don't really know what I want to do now. I'm really thinking I might just wait til 2021 to make my decision.

PostPosted: Tue September 22, 2020 5:34 pm 
The Master

Between GamePass, backwards compatibility, day one upgrades to 2020 titles, and Spider-Man/Demon's Souls this is already a better set of launch titles than the past two generations.

Never a bad idea to wait it out though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 57  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games