The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 57  Next
 Post subject: Re: Next-Gen Consoles (Coming 2020-ish)
PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 3:30 pm 
The Master

Revelator wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
mf wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
I also got the Sony pre-sale invite that starts tomorrow.

I signed up but didn't hear anything back. Guess that ship has sailed. I'm not sure what their selection criteria entailed, but i guess being a PS+ subscriber for like 8 years wasn't enough.

I'm not sure what the criteria was, but emails were sent out in two waves yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if there is another round of emails today or tomorrow if demand is lower than anticipated after the store pre-sales.

I wasn't selected either.

MD, just curious, do they give you a window of time to pre-order? That was my understanding of the process. Would be great to make the list. I'm hoping the invites are going out in waves. Not knowing the criteria to make the list sucks but pretty sure that was intentional. I've been a PS Plus member since PS Plus began and I own a shit ton of PS exclusives but that probably still isn't enough

Not necessarily a window of time (other than tomorrow and the time), but it does say there will be a waiting room. I'm curious to see the shipping information more than anything. Do they guarantee release day delivery?

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 4:02 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

MD, what is your plan for your extra PS5(s)? Are you going to sell them for $1000 on ebay?

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 4:06 pm 
The Master

tree_ wrote:
MD, what is your plan for your extra PS5(s)? Are you going to sell them for $1000 on ebay?

No, I refuse to resell something like that for profit. I'll either cancel the pre-order or arrange to send them to someone else.

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 4:11 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:

No, I refuse to resell something like that for profit. I'll either cancel the pre-order or arrange to send them to someone else.
Respect. If I continue with bad luck, please consider your old pal tree_.

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 4:11 pm 
Champion of RM

Monkey Driven presents the 2nd Video Game draft competition. Winner gets to buy his console at cost!

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 4:13 pm 
Champion of RM

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Revelator wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
mf wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

I signed up but didn't hear anything back. Guess that ship has sailed. I'm not sure what their selection criteria entailed, but i guess being a PS+ subscriber for like 8 years wasn't enough.

I'm not sure what the criteria was, but emails were sent out in two waves yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if there is another round of emails today or tomorrow if demand is lower than anticipated after the store pre-sales.

MD, just curious, do they give you a window of time to pre-order? That was my understanding of the process. Would be great to make the list. I'm hoping the invites are going out in waves. Not knowing the criteria to make the list sucks but pretty sure that was intentional. I've been a PS Plus member since PS Plus began and I own a shit ton of PS exclusives but that probably still isn't enough

Not necessarily a window of time (other than tomorrow and the time), but it does say there will be a waiting room. I'm curious to see the shipping information more than anything. Do they guarantee release day delivery?

If you are a PS+ member, yes, they guarantee release date delivery.

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 4:17 pm 
AnalLog

tree_ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Respect. If I continue with bad luck, please consider your old pal tree_.

Yeah mad respect for that, I can't stand those people. I'm always an option too if you need takers, no pressure of course. I'm def good for the $ and then some

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 4:18 pm 
The Master

CopperTom wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Revelator wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
mf wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

If you are a PS+ member, yes, they guarantee release date delivery.

Well shit, now I really hope I can get one. I don't trust the Wal-Mart pre-order and Amazon is really shady right now with their shipping date.

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 4:20 pm 
The Master

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Revelator wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
mf wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

Update: The pre-sale ends Saturday night.

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 4:20 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

I got an Amazon representative in chat and asked them about pre-orders. She said there were no pre-orders and to check back in the future. I insisted many people claimed they pre-ordered and Amazon sold out, but she insisted there were no pre-orders. :shake:

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 4:21 pm 
The Master

tree_ wrote:
I got an Amazon representative in chat and asked them about pre-orders. She said there were no pre-orders and to check back in the future. I insisted many people claimed they pre-ordered and Amazon sold out, but she insisted there were no pre-orders. :shake:

My Amazon account suggests otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 4:22 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

She insisted and said she even talked with others and confirmed there were no pre-orders and to check back in the future.

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 4:27 pm 
AnalLog

IMO Amazon has been completely unreliable for anything PS or PS exclusive-related for the last few years. Seems like ever since that Prime member 20% discount incentive ended, virtually anything PS-related is a complete pooch screw for items that are new/pre-ordered.

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 4:46 pm 
The Master

Revelator wrote:
IMO Amazon has been completely unreliable for anything PS or PS exclusive-related for the last few years. Seems like ever since that Prime member 20% discount incentive ended, virtually anything PS-related is a complete pooch screw for items that are new/pre-ordered.

True. Similar to Nintendo.

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 5:57 pm 
Champion of RM

Microsoft will announce a time that preorders will begin. They want to avoid Sony's chaos. Good job Microsoft!

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 6:06 pm 
The Master

CopperTom wrote:
Microsoft will announce a time that preorders will begin. They want to avoid Sony's chaos. Good job Microsoft!

It will surely be better (probably much better), but I bet several sites still crash due to traffic. Seems unavoidable given the demand.

I wonder what happened yesterday if Sony was truly planning to start pre-orders today. Did a few stores jump the gun?

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 6:35 pm 
Champion of RM

Monkey_Driven wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

It will surely be better (probably much better), but I bet several sites still crash due to traffic. Seems unavoidable given the demand.

I wonder what happened yesterday if Sony was truly planning to start pre-orders today. Did a few stores jump the gun?

Every store jumped the gun except Amazon. They were after midnight, I think.

Stores might not crash as bad if traffic is spread throughout several sites. I'll probably focus on Target and Amazon. Best Buy was the worst yesterday. GameStop focused on bundles.

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 6:38 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Guys, I'm confused. Why do retailers even care about selling video games and consoles? Do they even make any profit? Doesn't it cost the same if you order directly from Sony/Microsoft? I guess they focus on selling insurance and payment plans, but they can't make much off that.

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 6:39 pm 
The Master

CopperTom wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

Every store jumped the gun except Amazon. They were after midnight, I think.

Stores might not crash as bad if traffic is spread throughout several sites. I'll probably focus on Target and Amazon. Best Buy was the worst yesterday. GameStop focused on bundles.

Or everyone will try every site at the same time and traffic will be just as bad. Who knows?!

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 6:40 pm 
The Master

tree_ wrote:
Guys, I'm confused. Why do retailers even care about selling video games and consoles? Do they even make any profit? Doesn't it cost the same if you order directly from Sony/Microsoft? I guess they focus on selling insurance and payment plans, but they can't make much off that.

Profit margins for consoles are low (2-5 percent), but much high for software and accessories. The thinking is people will buy the console from that store and buy software along with it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 57  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games